30 for 30: The '85 Bears

Started by Poohdini, Feb 4, 2016, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Feb 4, 2016

ESPN's latest 30 for 30 documentary, which focuses on the legendary 1985 Super Bowl XX champion Bears, will debut on ESPN Thursday at 8 p.m. (CT).

The film, entitled "The '85 Bears," features a unique and in-depth look at the famed team, beginning just before Mike Ditka was hired as coach in 1982 through the present-day health issues affecting former quarterback Jim McMahon.

The documentary is directed by Jason Hehir and narrated by Vince Vaughn, a Lake Forest native who also serves as executive producer of the film.

One of the main storylines in the film revolves around defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan's close relationship with his players and how he co-existed with Ditka even though the two coaches often butted heads.

During an interview before the premiere, Singletary characterized his relationship with Ryan as "really special," saying: "Buddy is just a tremendous guy in my life. He taught me a lot. I learned so much from him about football and life."

Asked what he hopes people take away from the film, Singletary said: "What a team can do. No matter how many characters you have, no matter how many crazy guys you have, if you have leadership, you have imagination, then you have a chance to have something very special."

The '85 Bears dominated the NFL and brought fun back to pro football. They worked extremely hard on the field and partied hard off the field, leading to one of the most memorable teams and seasons in sports history.

"Never, never, never again will that many characters be amassed on a team," said McMichael, a defensive tackle on the '85 Bears who was nicknamed "Mongo" after the character played by Alex Karras in the movie "Blazing Saddles." "Even our third-string quarterback, Mike Tomczak, who was a rookie at the time, had a radio show."

Those interviewed extensively in the documentary include Ditka, Singletary, McMahon, Fencik, Wilson, Butler, Dan Hampton, William Perry and Jimbo Covert.

"It was a team, it really was," Ditka said. "I know our defense got so much of the credit and they deserved it because they were maybe the best defense I've ever seen in any era. But we had a good offense. We had a great offensive line, we had great running backs in Walter [Payton] and Matt [Suhey], we had a quarterback who was just as gutty as he could be in Jim and good receivers. We had a good football team and we did things the right way."

The '85 Bears not only beat people, they beat them up in intimidating fashion.

"It was take-no-prisoners," Ditka said. "These guys went out and played football. It wasn't buddy-buddy. They weren't patting people on the back; they were knocking them down. That's what they did and that's how we played. We were the bully on the block."

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. TimmyT

TimmyT The Bride

Feb 4, 2016
    walter payton never scored a TD in the Superbowl :emoji_slight_frown:

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. Heisenberg

Feb 5, 2016
    30 for 30s are great. I'll definitely have to watch this. I still need to watch the Buffalo Bills one.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024