A producer (Dr. Dre) has to give credit if they sample something right?

Started by M Solo, Nov 21, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Nov 21, 2017
    I'm obviously a huge fan of Dre and hip hop but I've always loved obscure music and instrumentals more. Anyhow I was listening to something fairly old and realized Dre and Storch basically stole a beat from an older, obsure "rock" track and never gave any kind of credit for it. It was for a song on a huge album that sold millions of copies.

It's identical to the "k--- You" situation.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/composer-addresses-eminem-suit-20020403

But I don't think anybody knows about it. Yet. Any way I can profit from this?

Guma likes this.
    Guma likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  2. Jehovah

Jehovah SB3

Nov 21, 2017
    You sure they didn't clear the sample? Try and check the credits it should be mentioned there. and I don't think you could profit from that tbh, im sure the owner of the song would have already done something about it since its someone as big as Em

Apr 16, 2024
  3. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Nov 21, 2017
    what you would wanna do is check with a copyright/IP lawyer and see if they think there's a case. if they do, and if you wanna take the jump, what you would do is buy the rights to the song (partial or in full) from whoever owns the publishing and/or master rights, and then sue.

Ordinary Joel and M Solo like this.
    Ordinary Joel and M Solo like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  4. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Nov 22, 2017
    Artists on Dre's level usually have to clear their samples. They're too high profile. Underground producers traditionally have gotten away with it more but now with the internet and algorithms, even those lesser known producers are getting sued or hit with cease and desists.

Ordinary Joel and SleepyGhost like this.
    Ordinary Joel and SleepyGhost like this.
    Apr 16, 2024