2. Kon

Kon

Jun 1, 2020

we are so screwed..

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    how truthful is that tweet? all i'm seeing from media sources is that it's being considered, but hasn't actually happened.

Base Reality likes this.
    Base Reality likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jun 1, 2020
    Police brutality is the core of the whole issue here. Of course I find that troubling. I don’t care that you’re sharing news, I take problem with people framing it as pointless or wrong or even making it the main topic of discussion. The riots are a consequence of the brutality. We have a long history of political violence in this country being utilized & being successful. Is it avoidable? Absolutely. Perhaps the question you & @Chewie should be posing then is why do Americans continuously feel the need to engage in violence to push for change? What is the government not doing?

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Kon

Kon

Jun 1, 2020
    he already used the military in DC to clear protesters and get to this church, he's threatening it on other cities.

more cop on media violence.

Enigma and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Enigma and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Kon

Kon

Jun 1, 2020

we so badly need Trump gone now, not sure the country can make it to November..

it's like we're moments away from the next civil war..

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Kon

Kon

Jun 1, 2020
    i dunno if you've seen this before, but Trump embarrasses himself as usual when he has to talk about the bible lol..

Ordinary Joel and Reed Richards like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Enigma

Jun 1, 2020
    we’re barreling toward another Kent state if not worse...

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    sorry to break it to you, but the entirety of this thread has been one of discussing the individual components of the protests as they progress. if the discussion was of the broader topic at hand (the one that you decided i should be questioning myself about), then you'd find that we're likely pretty d--- aligned. but if you read the last 1500 posts, most of them have been about the ongoings of the events in near real-time.

Apr 19, 2024
  10. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    feel free to change the discussion of this thread if that direction, but also don't tell me what i should be questioning about myself, or where i align, because you've come to conclusions based on my feelings about looting or a playground being burned. we're not that far apart.

Apr 19, 2024
  11. Base Reality

Base Reality AKA Chewie

Jun 1, 2020
    I again say, why can’t I condemn police brutality and at the same time condemn the violence associate with the protests/riots?

500 mg likes this.
    500 mg likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Enigma

Jun 1, 2020
    Again, idc that you’re sharing news real time. This is what I take issue with:

Apr 19, 2024
  13. zukayoku

Jun 1, 2020
    "White house sources are admitting that the president attacked citizens and went to a church because of people making fun of him going in to a bunker."

Ordinary Joel and Kon like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Kon like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    i honestly don't know what you would expect someone to say when seeing that image. i'm guessing that you look at it and dismiss it as being collateral damage. and i'd take issue with that. which means that we won't see eye to eye on it, and that's fine...but i'm not going to ask you to question your core values over it.

Apr 19, 2024
  15. Base Reality

Base Reality AKA Chewie

Jun 1, 2020
    If you want to evoke change, I don’t think the best way to do so is to burn cities down and then tell people who don’t support that type of behavior that they’re part of the problem.

@Enigma don’t ask me to question myself as to why people feel the need to burn their communities, I’m not doing it, I’m not supporting it, I think it only make things worse for everyone and is completely irrational behavior and I have no f---ing clue why or how anyone could think this is productive.

Apr 19, 2024
  16. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    i respectfully disagree with a playground being burned. if someone came around burning people's homes, then i would disagree with that as well. i'm not sure where you draw the line, but from what i can tell...there is no line rn. @Enigma is there a line? and if so, then what is it? this may seem like a provocative post, but i'm legit interested in discussing this.

Sign Language likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    @Donkey Kong Cuntry we haven't agreed on a few things either, and i think it comes down to us not agreeing where the line is. curious on your opinion of the above as well.

Apr 19, 2024
  18. Enigma

Jun 1, 2020
    We fundamentally disagree on where to place the blame. I see cities burning due to centuries of racism & abuse by police onto communities of color & I see government failure. Failure to address a pressing issue that has continued to come up time & time again. If action was taken earlier, none of this would be happening right now. When oppressed people’s voices go unheard, I can’t blame them for resorting to violence. What other option do they have left? We’re fortunate it’s just a few buildings on fire & not an *actual* resistance like we see in other parts of the world. I said this before but we’re fortunate African-American communities aren’t actively bombing police stations. That’s the trajectory we’re heading toward though if (this is a big if!) nothing changes. So again, it’s on political leaders to take action.

im not saying you have to support the violence. At bare minimum understand why it’s happening & its use historically. This is not senseless violence. There’s legitimate reasons why people are doing this.

Apr 19, 2024
  19. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jun 1, 2020
    I don't want playgrounds to be burned. I don't want homes to be burned. I wish nothing had to be burned and I wish no one had to be murdered.

As @Enigma said, I'm more interested in asking larger questions such as: why did it have to come this far in the first place? I've said this before and I'll say it again: as a general rule I'm against stealing and burning things down. But why didn't our government do anything sooner? Why was curbing police brutality not a priority?

People protest peacefully and try to make their voices heard by doing so in places they are visible to millions of people such as football games and awards shows. People didn't like that. Cops continued to brutalize and murder citizens. We hit a breaking point and people began to mass protest. Protests are escalated by cops (and before people get on me for this: yes, I know that protesters have escalated things too). Riots break out. Things get burned and things get stolen. Cops are attacking medics and children and journalists and legislators. Trump is going to call in the military to stop protests.

I just think we're sitting here being all like "oh my god, why is this happening? It doesn't have to be this way!" and you're completely right. It didn't have to be this way.

If we had a government that cared about police reform it didn't have to be this way.

If the so-called "good cops" were actually good cops and didn't defend the bad cops, it didn't have to be this way.

If we allowed people to peacefully protest and cops didn't try to curb people from marching, it didn't have to be this way.

But the sad truth is that none of the above happened and this is where we are. I don't want it to be like this, but I'm at a loss.

And so I ask you: what's the alternative right now if cops protect cops, courts protect cops, the government protects cops, and people are cannot peacefully protest en masse? I genuinely do not know. I just want you guys to understand that I don't think this is an ideal solution by any means. I just think that, unless someone proposes a better way that's actually viable, it's more important to show solidarity to our fellow citizens than to focus on theft and such. Because I'd rather a playground get burned down than another innocent person murdered by the police.

Apr 19, 2024
  20. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 1, 2020
    we don't. i place the blame on the last years, decades, centuries of oppression and inequalities supported by racist white men in power, by laws that target black people, and by economical suppression that enslave blacks and tosses them into a cave without leaving a rope to climb out. by racist, wrongdoing police officers. by a judicial system that locks up a ridiculous number of black people compared to whites per year, while protecting corrupt law enforcement. by lack of proper training. by lack of proper education. by the lack of will.

...but i also think it's wrong to burn a playground. just as i stated above, i think it'd be wrong to burn a house. your house. your neighbor's house.

...and i don't disagree with this either.

the question: where is the line? not a dickhead question, but if someone were to torch your house today, then would you share the same sentiments as you do now and shrug it off as a necessary action for the greater good?

Apr 19, 2024