Tech Apple Did Me Dirty

Started by Slyk, Dec 2, 2015, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Dec 2, 2015
    i'm posting this in the hopes that it'll get shared, because Apple just did me so raw it's disgusting. it's a long read rant, but if nothing else, i'm putting it out there for other people to read and take note of..

some of you may have seen my thread about my MacBook Pro battery expanding. if you haven't, the thread can be found here: My MacBook Pro Is About to Die
    tl;dr: the battery abruptly started expanding outward, causing the outer aluminum casing to bend. it's a technical hazard that can lead to warped/destroyed internals, and most importantly, it's a safety hazard. i've attempted to remove the battery myself, but it's mounted using a specialty tri-wing bit which no hardware stores sell, nor does my can-fix-anything-father even have one in his massive hardware collection. this past week, while traveling, 2 screws actually popped right off of the bottom casing due to the expansion/bouncing around...i think it's getting worse.

i booked a genius bar appointment. drove through an hour+ of LA rush hour traffic to get there, and explained my situation:
    i just want the battery removed. i've attempted to remove it myself, but don't have the appropriate parts. it's a safety hazard. i'm going to be replacing the machine upon the next mbp refresh, and i therefore don't want to replace the battery and will just run it on power from the wall when plugged in in the interim.

the representative agreed that it needed to be removed and that it could cause a fire or worse and that it was a safety issue. he took it back to the tech, and the tech refused to remove it. in comes in the manager...

the manager understood. but he was unwilling to do the right thing. told me that "it's store policy" that they can't remove the battery without replacing it with a brand new one for $130. i told him i'm not buying a new battery today, but i would prefer that my genitals didn't get blown up the next time i go to turn on my machine. he refused. i pleaded my case further, stating that i understood store policy, but i also understand that there's exceptions to rules, and that this was very clearly a judgement call which won't harm him or the store and will only benefit the customer, and will ensure that a.) my roommates dog doesn't die in a fiery blaze the next time i leave my laptop at home for 3 weeks (i travel a lot for work and seldom bring my personal laptop along for the trips), and b.) that the battery is disposed of safely here at the store. he refused, quoting store policy again and saying "if i thought this conversation was going to lead to me changing my mind, then i would continue to hear you out, but it won't", and then walked away. rude. obnoxious. and most of all, idiotic. the initial rep i had spoke with stood by the entire time and even he looked in disbelief at the situation as well.

i left the store, contacted corporate, and spent the next hour and a half on the phone speaking with 3 different reps who all sympathized with the situation and all agreed that it was ridiculous and very clearly a safety issue. the senior safety rep i spoke with last actually contacted the store and spoke with the manager directly, identifying this as a customer safety issue, and the store still refused to spend the 1 minute to unscrew & remove the battery unless i paid them $130 for a new one. ...there's no words nor emojis that captures the lack of common sense here.

...i've never had a bad experience with Apple customer support. prior to today i would actually have easily named them #1 in satisfaction and support. but this is without a doubt the worst interaction i've ever had with any store/representative/support in my life, and i feel that it warrants some attention.. the only reason why i'm posting it here now is because the senior rep i spoke with said that there's no higher-up individuals at Apple that i can speak to and that he was as high as it goes. the only option is to go lateral and speak with customer relations, but he was certain i wasn't going to get anywhere by speaking with them either.

i expected better from Apple, and really, just from people in general. it's hard to rationalize not spending the 1 minute to not only help someone who's clearly in need out and to do the right thing, but to also prevent a potential disaster in the process.

i spent the last 3 hours combating this and feel so defeated right now and i honestly just want to disarm this ticking time bomb...i feel strongly about this one and really don't want to let this to die here -- and tbh, it's more about principle than anything else at this point. if anyone has any suggestions about how to get in contact with the right people at Apple to correct this, then i'm open to hearing them, so long as this sleeping volcano doesn't decide to end me in my sleep tonight.

Meero, homeless bitch, Music and 15 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Pato v3

Pato v3 exilio

Dec 2, 2015
    Are you still buying the MBP?

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Dec 2, 2015
    lol. out of principle i don't want to. def gonna shop around for alternate options now and see what's out there.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Pato v3

Pato v3 exilio

Dec 2, 2015
    I told you smh

Slyk likes this.
    Slyk likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Deadpool

Deadpool the end

Dec 2, 2015
    What a d-ck smh

Apr 19, 2024
  6. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Dec 2, 2015
    f--- that play-by-the-book textbook manager.

Meero, Music, aquaberryares and 7 others like this.
    Meero, Music, aquaberryares and 7 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Dec 2, 2015
    Is there another Apple Store you can go to that might hear you out regardless of the store policy?

Cyreides likes this.
    Cyreides likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Dec 2, 2015
    i could try going to one in chicago when i get back. don't really want to go through all of the same hurdles again, but i suppose it's worth a shot. i kinda got spooked when @Charlie Strangelove posted the video of the laptop battery blowing up in the other thread and have been uneasy about having it ever since. hate waiting around with it and like i said -- it's a principle thing now, so i'd like for apple to fix it directly without going to a 3rd party store or something.

Enigma and Cyreides like this.
    Enigma and Cyreides like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Dec 2, 2015
    Apple are c----

Yes i love my iphone but dont get it teisted, they are an evil company

Music, asvdawg, TheFazer and 5 others like this.
    Music, asvdawg, TheFazer and 5 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. JG2

JG2 Thugger Lover

Dec 2, 2015
    "just because i got dreads dont get it teisted"

Music, Narsh, CODEiNE DEMON and 2 others like this.
    Music, Narsh, CODEiNE DEMON and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Dec 2, 2015
    When I was Googling this battery issue, almost all of the results were stories like this.
    Those screwdrivers are $2 on Amazon, but if it's a matter of principle people had success trying other stores. Good luck bruh.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Maximus

Maximus Skeppy

Dec 2, 2015
    @Slyk i bought a brilliant little kit from ifixit
    it has all the tri-wing sizes and is made specifically for taking appart technological products (expecially apple products)
    only 29$
    would reccomend/10
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022-1

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. Maximus

Maximus Skeppy

Dec 2, 2015
    @Slyk i literally secretly swapped my old battery with my sisters new one the other day, its so fukin easy to do
    trust me on this man buy that kit
    itl help you out with your future MBP also

Music and Cyreides like this.
    Music and Cyreides like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Dec 2, 2015

Ordinary Joel and Maximus like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Maximus like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  15. Mano

Dec 2, 2015
    You told him the manager would refuse to take his battery out and that's why he should shop for alternatives? :wth:

Apr 19, 2024
  16. Pato v3

Pato v3 exilio

Dec 2, 2015
    Mano can you stop reaching in every f---ing comment

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Mano

Dec 2, 2015
    You told him so. It's a legit question :ummmm:

Apr 19, 2024
  18. boyz n the suburbs

boyz n the suburbs In my city, I'm a young God

Dec 2, 2015
    What an idiotic manager.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Dec 2, 2015
    @Slyk bro make a Youtube video, get that n----- fired. Post the video on r/videos and r/apple. If you don't have the time or resources for that, at least copy and paste this story on the Apple subreddit. Be sure to include the store location (like Apple in Southgate Mall, Edmonton, Canada).

f--- that guy. If nothing else, this fa---- should have had the courtesy to just hand you the f---ing tools. His life accomplishment is making it as a manager at an Apple retail store. No matter how good Apple stocks are doing right now, he's still just a manager... at a retail store. You weren't asking him to go the extra mile, you were asking him to go the extra few steps - figuratively and literally.

But seriously bro, safety first. I know that was physically, mentally, and emotionally draining, but see if you can drop in at a different Apple store and get this done. If not, just cop the 2 dollar screwdriver from Amazon like @Charlie Strangelove suggested.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Meero, asvdawg, Ordinary Joel and 3 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  20. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Dec 2, 2015
    great call. ima def post it to reddit. gonna get after that tomorrow. likely won't make a youtube tbh.

i actually asked him if i could borrow the tool for a quick minute and bring it right back and got turned down. lol i really tried everything...even asked what the return policy on a new battery was so that i would just pay for them to do it and immediately return it (woulda been a d-ck move, but i wouldn't have cared at that point), but was told there's no returns on a new battery.

Ordinary Joel and Mike Tyson like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Mike Tyson like this.
    Apr 19, 2024