Oct 14, 2020
    Gotta get that new new.

Ordinary Joel and ItsPwizz like this.
    Ordinary Joel and ItsPwizz like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Galaxy

Galaxy When I'm fxcked up, that's the real me

Oct 14, 2020
    there are quite a few ways one could argue it, actually.

#1. The charging brick as always been a standard in packing cellphones, as it is the most essential accessory when launching one. So if a manufacturer was to remove it, then it is reasonable to expect a slight discount in pricing. But the pricing model for the entire iPhone 12 series looks the same as every year; meaning it reads as if a charging brick will be included as the standard in packaging.

#2. Most people that have the most common Apple chargers are definitely not iPhone 11 owners, and therefore most likely don't have the lightning to usb c charging brick that is needed to connect with the lightning to c cable included with the iPhone 12. So the idea Apple is trying to claim that they are excluding the charger because the consumer most likely has it doesn't make sense for the vast majority of potential sales.

#3. If Apple actually cared about e-waste, then they would opt out of mass-producing new hardware every single year. They would change their release schedule to have a new iPhone perhaps every other year or once every three years instead of doing that annually. After all, the release of the phones alone have a much higher carbon footprint than the inclusion of accessories.

#4. Following up on both points 2 and 3: because of point #2, there is a good chance that a lot, a lot, a lot of people buying iPhone 12 will also end up buying the charging brick separately anyway. Not only could this mean an additional $15-$20 on top of the hundreds they already have to spend on the new device. Which then defeats the purpose brought in #3, which is that: Apply will ship the charging brick in its own packaging so even if Apple has a smaller package for the new phone, more packages will get shipped alongside the orders.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

Oct 14, 2020
    It’s a pretty delusional statement to claim that people spending 1K on a smartphone don’t already have a lightning charger from a previous iPhone or a USB-C wall adapter from an android phone & that’s without assuming they’ve not already bought an aftermarket wall adapter themselves to increase charging speed. Also, the point that Apple is making is not only verifiable via data extraction, it’s also putting the choice to the consumer, if it reduces half of the amount of adapters being produced, isn’t that a win?

The point of price reduction is nullified when the cost of production is pennies compared to the actual sale, if they knocked it off the retail price of the iPhone you’d probably get it a dollar cheaper. The pricing model isn’t even reflected by inflation, so if anything it *is* cheaper than last year.

Your 3rd point is irrelevant to be honest. Plus, they’ve announced they’re going completely carbon neutral by 2030 including the manufacturing process.

Mar 29, 2024
  4. Galaxy

Oct 14, 2020
    It's not delusional at all. There is only one series of iPhone models that included lightning to c, and that's last year's model. Apple hates the idea of their customers using 3rd party accessories so I don't think they made this decision based off of the assumption that their mainstream audience will opt to purchase 3rd party chargers when buying the phones.

If you think my third point is irrelevant then there is no point in discussing this with you any further, as point #3 is the most important. We are talking about being eco-friendly, making important business moves to better the environment. If Apple wanted to make a difference there, they as a corporation could have made a much bigger move than the one that's gotten people thinking that they are greedy and people on the other side who are saying that what they're doing is fine.

Mar 29, 2024
  5. hargydon

Oct 14, 2020
    Capitalism is a market system based on an exponential consumption growth model, if you think for 1 second the biggest company in the world is going to halt their annual production cycle to be more eco friendly with no market/monetary benefit then you’ve misunderstood the nature of this anti-economy we’re all subjected to - that’s why it’s an irrelevant point.

Yes, they may sell a few wall adapters after purchase making them some amount of profit at the expense of the lazy consumers that can’t purchase other brands but that’s the incentive given to Apple to be more eco friendly & that’s on the naive consumer to foot that bill.

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Galaxy

Oct 14, 2020
    Exactly. Apple's bottom line is making money, not sparing the environment. So whenever any corporation (like you said Apple is one of the biggest) mentions a business move with the environment in mind I am always highly skeptical whether they are mask their decision as a scapegoat. They wouldn't be in any danger as a corporation financially wise if they didn't halt their annual production cycle, but it would benefit the world. But ultimately my point is that: they aren't doing this for the world because they don't care. They only care about making as much money as possible.

Mar 29, 2024
  7. hargydon

Oct 14, 2020
    Because that’s what a business is designed to do! Attack the root of the issue not the inherited byproduct.

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Galaxy

Oct 14, 2020
    I don't appreciate this business leading the consumer to believe they made this decision for the environment

Mar 29, 2024
  9. hargydon

Oct 14, 2020
    Maybe a consumer should take some responsibility in understanding how the system they live in is designed & functions, then they wouldn’t be misled.

To not assume a business is doing what it’s meant to do is ridiculous. I think they’ve been pretty smart, they’ve managed to find a way to promote sustainability whilst making a profit, other businesses should follow suit instead of doing nothing at all.

In reality, the environment is dead following our current trajectory & there’s no stopping within this system so we either focus on system change or accept this is the maximum change to expect from monetary-based economics.

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Galaxy

Oct 14, 2020
    It's not rocket science. The only thing Apple cares about is making money. They didn't make this decision to benefit the world. They made this decision to make more money with giving less.

Honestly man it also sounds to me like you're saying caring for the environment is a lost cause. But the company isn't pushing that notion, in fact that they are playing into that notion for this marketing.

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Oct 15, 2020
    thoughts and prayers for your mental health, m8

Mar 29, 2024