TV Atlanta - Season 3 (Discussion Thread)

Started by J630, Dec 23, 2021, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. LasiK

LasiK RETIRED

May 25, 2022
    I think there's two ways for Atlanta to wrap up...one being a continuation of this seasons themes (race, class, parenting, black vs white, good and evil) with a focus on ambiguity and think pieces and the other leaning deep into the weird supernatural elements that were sort of at play this season. Donald Glover previously stated that he "just always wanted to make Twin Peaks with rappers," and "Television shows are like novels. You just got to invest in them,” added Glover. “The tone of this, it’s going to take people time to figure out what’s going on, which I think is a good thing.”

If you're familiar with Twin Peaks (created by David Lynch, Mark Frost) it basically started off as a small-town murder mystery series before evolving into something vastly different with interdimensional beings, supernatural elements, alternate timelines, doppelgangers, possessions, good and evil, etc.

If Glover's initial vision of Atlanta stays true to what he originally envisioned (especially with the post-credit sequence indicating that White Earn was true to the reality of Atlanta's world) it could get weird.

In the season premiere, White Earn said ""With enough blood and money, anyone can be white. It's always been that way,” and then in episode 4 "Maybe it’s only right,” he says, explaining to Marshall that a curse has been lifted. “Now we’re free,”" before killing himself as if the curse would be lifted. The post-credits sequence has Donald Glover's Earn literally and (maybe) metaphorically inheriting the White Earn's baggage.

Could be grasping at straws, and it might just be a metaphor for how money and fame = bad, but who knows. I'd love for it to do a Twin Peaks style switch up.

Aug 11, 2022