Eminem Being Eminem friend excuse you outta murder?

Started by Oldboy, May 17, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Jb27

May 18, 2017
    Just like bizzare verse on loyalty this is what I remember going back to after I heard he got killed in a club

MMXVI likes this.
    MMXVI likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. itsgoose23

May 18, 2017
    I remember being on D12 world back when it happened. Thread on it was huge with all sorts of stories and theories from that night. If I recall correctly a lot based around proof shooting into the air and the bouncer shooting both of them. Can't remember them all though. Any truth ever come to light about it or did proof just get too drunk and s---t at dude.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Jb27

May 18, 2017
    They was saying he shot the dude then the dudes cousin who's a bouncer shot proof three times once in the head two in the back.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Alchemist34

Alchemist34 DO MY HEAD

May 19, 2017
    I got f---ing crucified for saying proof was overrated after he died

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Lucy

Lucy #1

May 19, 2017
    I for one, welcome you and your opinions Albanian Jesus

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. SliK

SliK mad kunt

May 19, 2017
    Been saying this since it happened tbh even made a thread about it somewhere on this board. It's incredibly disrespectful to the victim's family of the man Deshaun murdered for these stupid f---ing kids to act like he was framed.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. SliK

SliK mad kunt

May 19, 2017
    Yo just seeing this, but the dude you tagged isnt me. SLIK is inactive and only has a couple of posts. You should delete his account and let me have the name. I'm using the name SLLK and it's s---. That's why i didn't get notified :emoji_slight_frown:

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

May 19, 2017
    Will do

SliK likes this.
    SliK likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. SliK

SliK mad kunt

May 19, 2017
    I appreciate it m8

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

May 19, 2017
    fixed ya name

SliK likes this.
    SliK likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. SliK

SliK mad kunt

May 19, 2017
    Legend

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. MMXVI

May 19, 2017
    Same thing with the toy solider video they tempted fate lol

Jb27 likes this.
    Jb27 likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. Jb27

May 19, 2017
    Yup definitely spoke it into existence

MMXVI likes this.
    MMXVI likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Gustavo Jax

May 19, 2017
    It might seem surprising that Proof, a founding member of the million-earning Shady family - the music collective that, second only to Motown, has put Detroit music on the map - was even in such a club. Buoyed by Eminem's success, he had enjoyed huge hits with the D12 albums Devil's Night and last year's D12 World, a number one in both Britain and America. But he wasn't at the CCC to bolster his street credibility - he was there because as countless friends testify, he was Detroit to the core.

Proof was a man who rarely slept: he was either at clubs, in the studio or napping between the two. Long after he didn't need to care for others, he did, helping, guiding and influencing everyone around him and apprenticing local rappers: Hand 2 Hand: Official Mixtape Instruction Manual, the first mixtape release on his Iron Fist label, stars MCs who would never have been heard outside of Detroit if it weren't for Proof. He also used his fame to work for local musicians' benefits, encouraging them to join the Musicians Union, which provides them with healthcare and pensions.

He did not brag about these efforts, nor boast of his guidance of Eminem and Obie Trice's careers. Proof was key in selecting the instrumental tracks that best suited their skills, and inspired Eminem at all times of day and night by text messaging him couplets and rhymed phrases. Proof was a nimble, witty freestyle MC, with a ferociously curious mind. He loved everything from Miles Davis to Jimi Hendrix. He was a gifted and giving anomaly, a rapper who cared for art over materialism, but did all he could to bring wealth to others.

The easiest way to understand Proof is to ask this simple question: what other rapper with the rhyme skills and smarts to pen chart hits, and on the heels of multi-platinum success and the worldwide attention brought through his association with Eminem, would choose to release as his debut solo album an introspective record inspired by the philosophy of the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia - last year's Searching for Jerry Garcia

Proof was represented in two ways in 8 Mile, the 2002 biopic based on Eminem's life. He played the MC that causes 'Rabbit' (Eminem) to choke in the first battle-rap scene of the film. But his true spirit inspired the dreadlocked character 'Future' (played by Mekhi Phifer), the MC who organized and refereed the rap battles. He encourages Rabbit to find his voice as a rapper, just as Proof did for Marshall Mathers. Swift of D12 said it best shortly after hearing that his friend had died, when gathered with Proof's closest friends - a hundred or so strong - at St. Andrew's Hall, the club where he had hosted so many rap battles. 'That n----- P,' Swift announced to everyone, 'he came out of hip hop's p----.'

DeShaun Holton's father was once involved in the music industry and produced records by acts including Tower of Power. In an interview, however, Proof once referred to his father as a 'crackhead' and it has been alleged that his mother was also involved in drugs. He attended Gesu private school in his youth before enrolling at Osborn High on Detroit's east side. He formed his first rap group, the 5 Ela, with his friends Thyme and Mudd, then the influential Goon Sqwad, which featured Stylz, Trick Trick and DJ OC. He truly left his mark, however, at designer Maurice Malone's Hip Hop Shop, where he MC'd freestyle sessions on Saturday afternoons. Local and national talent, from the Notorious BIG to Redman and Method Man passed through the shop, eager to battle with Detroit's finest.

Advertisement
    Proof was the consummate diplomat, charming everyone. He was also the only kid in the neighbourhood to see the potential in a smart-a--- white boy named Marshall Mathers. Proof taught Mathers how to hone his wit, and sneaked him into the Osborn High cafeteria to battle rap at lunch hour.

As Mudd of 5 Ela recalled warmly, Proof was always a loyal friend. 'He was my big brother, he taught me how to rap, how to talk to the ladies, he taught me to kick game,' he said. 'This is who he was: when my first child was about to be born, I was telling him one day how worried I was about providing for my family. The very next day, without a word, he dropped off a huge bag full of all his family's old baby clothes.'

As Eminem declared at Proof's funeral, 'Without Proof, there would be a Marshall Mathers, but there would not be an Eminem, there would not be a D12 and there would not be a Slim Shady.' He made it clear that Proof looked out for Marshall when no one else did. 'This is the man I knew,' Eminem said. 'He came to me one day when I was living in my house on the east side and threw a pair of shoes at me and said, "Put 'em on." I said, "Why?" He said, "Put 'em on your feet." I said "Why?" 'Because I'm tired of you wearing those same dirty-a--- shoes.'"

It is an understatement to say that Eminem was hit hard by the loss - it was the latest in a string of hardships that has befallen him. Following a six-week spell in rehab for addiction to the sleeping pill Ambien, in the first five months of 2006 he has re-married his ex-wife Kim and then divorced her for a second time after only 82 days together, while his mother's health has also drastically degenerated. Before Proof's killing, Eminem's friend Obie Trice also came close to death; on New Year's Eve, the Shady Records artist most-likely-to-break-out-big-this-year, was shot in the head, while driving himself and his girlfriend home from a party. Trice steered his car safely off the highway, let his girlfriend take the wheel and two days later was found doing push-ups in his hospital room.

At Proof's funeral, Trice echoed a theme that ran throughout the proceedings - that violence in Detroit, and every black community in America is needlessly ending lives. 'I want to talk to the black men in here,' he said, choking back tears. 'We been comin' up in this struggle and we killin' each other. Yeah, I know - you 'hood, you gangsta. We all from the 'hood. Detroit is the 'hood. We are killin' each other, dawg, and it's about nothin'. We are leaving our kids, our mamas, our grandmamas over nothin'.'

Proof's casket was led by a white horse-drawn carriage to Woodlawn Cemetery, a two-hour trip that tied up traffic across town. His final resting place is beautiful - more a park than a collection of gravestones, complete with lush, manicured foliage, a pond, ducks and geese. The coffin was opened for his nearest and dearest to see him once more. They kissed his cheek or forehead and said their last goodbyes, as a flock of white doves was released in his honour. Afterwards, they gathered at the Good Life Lounge, to do what more than a few felt would be his wish for them that day - to have a party. A huge D-town soul-food spread was laid out: barbeque, mashed potatoes, greens, mac and cheese, biscuits. Old school hip hop was in the house, everything from Eric B and Rakim to NWA boomed from the system. The occasion was grim, but Proof's legacy prevailed - he had brought everyone together once more, and the lust for living that informed his life was tangible. As the night wore on and the dance floor filled, songs like D12's 'Purple Pills' (later re-titled 'Purple Hills') and Proof's solo work inspired hoots, hollers, and the joyous spraying of beer.

Advertisement
    'He gave me my name,' Obie Trice said of his friend and mentor. 'When I met him at the Hip Hop Shop, my name was Obie 1. Proof was about to introduce me and he looked at me for a while and said, "What's your name? Your real name, no gimmicks." He introduced me as Obie Trice. He gave me my name. He did all that s---, man. He was the pioneer of Detroit hip-hop music.'

Mike D, manager of St. Andrew's Hall, knew Proof for years and saw money and fame have little effect on him. He recalled the night not long ago when Proof drove up to the club in a new BMW 750 - a gift from Eminem. 'It was not the kind of car he'd roll in,' Mike says. 'I was like, "Nice car." He threw me the keys and said, "Take it for a ride. You know I don't care about material s---." He didn't - he'd drive anything.' Proof cared far more for people - by the end of an average night, going from place to place, he'd accumulate a posse of 20 or more, hosting a roving party rooted by his magnetic spirit. 'I've never met anyone like him,' Mike D says. 'He'd be at our club nearly every night that he went out. He didn't care what kind of band was on, he just wanted to see the music. He used to take my entire staff at St. Andrew's out to breakfast when he'd be there at closing time. I'm talking 30, 50 people - all of the employees, the DJs, everyone.'

Over the course of the night of the wake, within many circles of conversation, talk inevitably turned to the circumstances of Proof's death. Those who knew Proof were quick to point out how he rolled: he liked to drink and when necessary, had no problem throwing a punch. But he was no gun-toting killer. Proof's police record best tells the tale: it reveals several tickets for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct, including an incident in which he swung at a police officer. None of his run-ins with the law involved weapons. Proof was a man with many sides - warm and charming, mischievous and sly, sometimes a brawler, but never a g----banging braggart.

A close friend who was at the CCC but asked to remain anonymous has his own version of what went down that night. 'Once Etheridge started shooting in the air, we all got down on the floor behind the pool table,' he alleges. 'We were just trying to get out of there, but Proof and Bender started fighting again.' According to this witness, the club was cleared while Proof's lifeless body lay on the floor. A few minutes later, he was deposited outside the club's back door, his jewellery and money gone.

There is much left unanswered about the circumstances surrounding Proof's death. This incident is a senseless tragedy that should inspire change, not blame. In the end, ballistic science will reveal whether the bullet that killed Keith Bender was shot from the same gun that killed DeShaun Holton. If that is the case, perhaps the city of Detroit and the rest of America will search beyond the knee-jerk headlines that portrayed Proof as the gun-slinging thug who killed the war hero. If the initial reports are true, perhaps, in time, how he died will not obscure how he lived. When the dust settles, Proof should be seen truthfully, as the authentic voice of Detroit that he was: complex, angry, sarcastic, earnest, loyal, and proud of his roots. He should be remembered as the artist that he was - a man consumed with supporting the place that weaned him; a man, who was, ultimately, consumed by the very same.

Advertisement
    A history of violence
    Steve Yates

When KRS-One penned 'Stop The Violence' in response to the 1987 shooting of his partner Scott La Rock he ushered in what, in retrospect, looks like hip hop's age of chivalry, with gunplay largely confined to the records rappers made. A decade later Black Star re-worked the song as 'Definition', with the chorus 'one, two, three, it's kinda dangerous to be an MC', in response to the murders of Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur. What should have been an epitaph for an era now looks like prophecy, with names like Big L, Soulja Slim and Run DMC's producer Jam Master Jay among the fallen.

Some label owners (Death Row's Suge Knight the most notorious) have been forced to deny murdering their own artists, while some stars are becoming victims of their own entourage: Lil' Kim was jailed for perjury last year after claiming her 'magic sunglasses' prevented her seeing her friends exchange shots with a rival rap crew outside New York radio station Hot 97. The days when KRS could claim 'real bad boys move in silence' seem like a quaint relic of a bygone time.

Since you

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. ConspiracyGang

May 19, 2017
    Don't disrespect Proof @Koolo watch ya self

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

May 19, 2017
    Not unless ur Ems best friend...lol

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. kodo

May 19, 2017
    the club was cleared while Proof's lifeless body lay on the floor. A few minutes later, he was deposited outside the club's back door, his jewellery and money gone.

lol

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Fitzy

Fitzy BeliGOAT

May 20, 2017
    I only remember Bizarre, Kuniva and Proof posting, and Proof was the only one that members wouldn't really f--- with lol. Bizarre and Kuniva were definitely ran off lol.

Oldboy likes this.
    Oldboy likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Spatula

Spatula Relapse is a masterpiece

May 22, 2017
    No one cares about Proof.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024