Started by Detroit24, Nov 25, 2019, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. J630

J630 Annoying af

Aug 9, 2022

Mar 28, 2024
  2. DKC

DKC hank trill

Aug 9, 2022
    Also this Jesse cameo was great. Felt like it actually connected and expanded upon the BB universe even tho he looks 40 years old lmao. Nothing major, but it felt natural and was cool fan service without feeling forced.

I assumed the cameos were all gonna be pure fan service and not add anything like the first one, but the Jesse one gives me hope for the Walter one coming in the last episode.

Mar 28, 2024
  3. JulnHT

Aug 10, 2022
    The scene with the old lady was crazy. For one moment I was like „is jimmy really going to be a killer?“
    There was a lot of pressure for me in that scene.

new Kim was so out of character that I felt bad for her.

great episode

Mar 28, 2024
  4. rapmusik

Aug 10, 2022
    Legit, the scene of Kim’s breakdown on the bus is one of my favourites between the two shows. So good

Mar 28, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Aug 10, 2022
    100% with you, hope she wins an Emmy for this season. She was so good in this episode and the lalo finale ep especially

have bob odenkirk or Giancarlo Esposito ever won an Emmy between the two shows?

Mar 28, 2024
  6. LasiK

LasiK d-mn fine coffee

Aug 10, 2022
    I’m still doing my rewatch (haven’t seen s4 onward) but man, I forgot about Chuck’s head bonk in the copy shop. Cringe

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Aug 10, 2022
    So f---ing dope at how they expanded the scene where they kidnapped Saul to make the appearance of Walt and "What's up fellow kids" Jesse natural. And I didn't even realize that Lalo and Ignacio's names where mentioned by Saul during Breaking Bad, that's f---ing insane that they made a full series about it.

Mar 28, 2024
  8. asvdawg

Aug 10, 2022
    @DKC basically just watch BCS right after this moment and then the final 3 episodes of BCS after BB and you have your Star wars comparison

Yeez, Mothrfckr, Chrollo and 4 others like this.
    Yeez, Mothrfckr, Chrollo and 4 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Aug 10, 2022
    They have not. Jonathan Banks (Mike) also holds some kind of record for most emmy noms without a win.

But those awards are a joke anyway

Chrollo, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Chrollo, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. J630

J630 Annoying af

Aug 10, 2022
    I like how Saul is a criminal who wants to k--- an old woman but I'm still rooting for him not to get caught.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. rapmusik

Aug 10, 2022
    Not so sure he wants to k--- her. Has Saul actually killed anyone himself? I can’t think of any but maybe there’s an obvious one I’m just forgetting about

I don’t think he has that in him. That’s why it made more sense to send Kim to k--- Gus instead of Jimmy.

but he definitely thought about hurting her… which I think is a big enough deal for him to realize how different he is from who he was. That and her “I trusted you”

Mar 28, 2024
  12. M.I.C.

Aug 10, 2022
    RE this season being underwhelming

I definitely agree but their hands are also so tied. Let’s be honest, Mike and the cartel stuff carried probably more than half of this show and while Nacho’s ending was great, they obviously couldn’t give us a conclusion to Mike and Gus. Comparatively and compared to Walt and even Jesse, Saul’s stakes just seem so much lower. Even though we’ve gone so in depth with his character it’s impossible for the end of his arc to hold up against Walt’s and the ending of BB. Still hoping the finale is great but gotta take it for what it is I guess.

Mar 28, 2024
  13. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Aug 10, 2022
    Is he so different now though, at bottom? After all he was a lawyer, which is just another word for "liar." Isn't that the moral of the story, if any, of Kim and Jimmy/Saul, or Leopold and Loeb, as Howard called them? No matter how hard they tried to do "the right thing" in the end they favored their own selfish interests most of all.

M Solo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    M Solo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Aug 10, 2022
    Even if it isn't the Gus/Lalo conclusion satisfied me, even if it was more or less predictable. If I ever rewatch the show I'll probably pretend the eighth episode is the finale and forget about the rest. There's a slim chance the next episode could change my mind though.

Mar 28, 2024
  15. The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian This is the way

Aug 10, 2022
    While I can understand why this season might not appeal to a few, I have personally loved every episode since Plan and Execution. This episode is easily my favourite so far this season. Kim's breakdown in the bus is the highlight of the episode. Rhea is a beast of an actress, extremely underrated. Jesse's cameo was well done, always wanted a scene between Kim and him. Gene's downfall has been hard to watch but I am optimistic of some sort of redemption given how his facial expressions change once Marion remarks how she trusted him (Amazing acting by Bob btw). All and all, an amazing piece of television

PS: Why are people bothered with Cheryl being concerned about her husband lmao? They had differences and their marriage wasn't going well but that does not at all imply that she wouldn't care about her husband's reputation or his life, especially if you have spent a lot of good years together.

Mar 28, 2024
  16. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Aug 10, 2022
    It's almost as silly as the complaints/remarks about Jesse's appearance. Hello, the main protagonist looks noticeably older than he did in BB, which is made even more conspicuous by the fact that this is a prequel set years prior to the events of the sequel.

Mar 28, 2024
  17. DKC

DKC hank trill

Aug 10, 2022
    To be fair, Breaking Bad has one of the best series finales of all time, so that's a very high bar to be up against. I also think they're fundamentally very different shows despite being in the same universe. The stakes are definitely lower, but they always had different stakes you know? I never expected there to be an ending with m--- slaves and nazis and a custom machine gun car — but I suppose that remains to be seen lol.

I thought this week's episode was one of the best of the series and is a prime example of the slow burn this show's been so good at doing. BCS to me was always about watching the slow corruption of Jimmy and how that corruption leaves destruction in his path. It's about him battling his identities — does he want to be Slippin Jimmy or Jimmy McGill Attorney at Law or Saul Goodman or Gene? I saw someone on twitter describe this show as The Assassination of Jimmy McGil by the Coward Saul Goodman and I thought that was a great way to put it.

Don't get me wrong, the cartel stuff is great. I'm always in for more Gus and Mike and Lalo. But I disagree that it carried over half the show. It did border on being too fan servicey to me at times like with the whole building the laundry m--- lab arc (which I still liked cuz I'm a fan lol).

Mar 28, 2024
  18. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Aug 10, 2022
    This take seems to be widely if not universally taken for granted (which is ironic considering the poor reputation of lawyers), but I wonder if it's accurate. Wasn't Saul more ballsy than Jimmy in pretty much every way? I don't think that can be disputed, so I assume "coward" is a moral judgment here, with the sense "shady" or "corrupt." I'm inclined to argue the near opposite. Jimmy was the coward, even in the moral sense (just by virtue of being a lawyer in the first place) while Saul was just more upfront about being a sleazebag lawyer. This is an illusion of course, since they're obviously one and the same person, with Big Boy Saul being the natural and inevitable evolution of Little Jimmy.

DKC and Ordinary Joel like this.
    DKC and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. DKC

DKC hank trill

Aug 11, 2022
    It's mostly just a play on the the title of this movie (which is v good if you haven't seen), coward just happens to be in the title:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Assassination_of_Jesse_James_by_the_Coward_Robert_Ford

The way I interpreted it is it's just saying that Jimmy slowly became more and more corrupted until he ended up as Saul. But I think Jimmy burying himself in the Saul persona to run from his problems and not have to think about and process all the s--- that happened to him is cowardly in and of itself. He really demonstrated that with the way he tried to pretend he was fine and didn't care when Kim came to sign the divorce papers.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. BIG MONKEY

BIG MONKEY slummin' it

Aug 11, 2022
    OK, there is something to be said about taking a play on a movie/novel title too literally. But as far as Jimmy running away from his problems by becoming his Saul "persona," the way I would characterize it is that he DID confront his problems head-on by becoming himself, if that makes sense. His way of processing what happened to him just differed radically from Kim's, due no doubt in large part to psychological differences between men and women (with women on average being more introspective and moralistic, for example, than men).

Edit: It's worth pointing out that "introspective" just means the act of looking into oneself, with no implication that the truth is being sought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introspection_illusion

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Mar 28, 2024