Non-Hip-Hop Can someone break down the basic sound and content of each Beatles album?

Started by 83837477, Sep 12, 2016, in Music Add to Reading List

1. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Sep 12, 2016
    Thanks Idk which one to listen to and they're all super different so I wanna see which one aligns with my taste the most to start with.

Google isn't that helpful for this and I prefer getting organic 2016 forum user opinions for some reason.

@Ordinary Joel Tag some stans pls

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Sep 12, 2016

Mar 29, 2024
  3. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Sep 12, 2016
    Thx snuggle kitten :emoji_heart:

Mar 29, 2024
  4. dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl

Sep 12, 2016
    imma go by og UK lp's since those are their main ones. ill try 2 explain best i can

Please Please Me - rock & roll; boy band rock, pop
    With The Beatles - rock & roll; boy band rock, pop
    A Hard Days Night - suuper poppy boy band rock. rly fkn good tho.
    Beatles For Sale - same as above but with a lil bitta folk in there too
    Help! - more rock-y than the prev few, has some folk. album is more aggressive than prev works
    Rubber Soul - poppy, folksy, with hella groovy soulful typa s--- now as well
    Revolver - same as above plus psych rock now. standout album just gotta mention this
    Sgt Pepper - artsy baroque masterpiecy s---. hella psychadelic
    White Album - giant collage of all sortsa s--- rly. has some well known pop tracks, well known agressive rock tracks & some reeeeaaly weird experimental psych s---
    Yellow Submarine - psych heavy. also v artsy like Sgt Pepper. notably orchestral, more than on any of the prev works.
    Abbey Road - blues heavy. like hella blues heavy. some spacey prog rock typa s--- also. lotsa folksy s--- as well iirc.
    Let It Be - a lot of blues. & rock. notably rhythm heavy album. hella Paul Mccartney presence

Ordinary Joel and 83837477 like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Sep 12, 2016
    @King V Perfect! Thanks a lot man. :)

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Riley

Sep 12, 2016
    @BuffaloBoy V The World yeah @King V pretty much nailed it. Don't know if this will help you, but I'll throw in my ranking of all their albums for fun:

1. Abbey Road - side 2 of this album, the "abbey Road medley", is probably my favorite piece of music ever. The production is top-notch, the song-writing and melodies are as good as anything the Beatles ever did (which means it's as good as ANYONE ever did) and somehow, after like literally hearing this like 100 times in my life, I'm just as impressed listening to it now as I was when I heard it for the first time. (First half of the album is full of classics as well) HIGHLIGHTS: Something, Oh, Darling, I Want You (She's So Heavy), and ALL of side 2

2. Revolver - Help!/Rubber Soul is when The Beatles really started to break out of their comfort zone and make more interesting music, but Revolver is where they first truly knocked it out of the park imo. From the backwards guitar solo on I'm Only Sleeping, to the all-strings led Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles were attempting things that no one was capable even trying to do. I mean what pop act goes and drops songs like Love You To or Tomorrow Never Knows. HIGHLIGHTS: I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, For No One and Tomorrow Never Knows

3. Sgt. Peppers - Sgt. Peppers is kinda mind-blowing cuz again, when you take a step back at look at what their contemporaries were releasing, then you listen to this album, it's just not fair how far above and beyond The Beatles were from their competition (Brian Wilson comes close). Sgt. Peppers isn't perfect (Good Morning, Good Morning...ugh) but holy d--- is it close. I could go on and on listing the revolutionary studio techniques they used to get those never-before-heard sounds you hear on Getting Better, or Benefit of Mr. Kite, or Day in the Life, but nothing beats just listening to the album yourself, and learning more and more about it on your own. HIGHLIGHTS: Fixing A Hole, With A Little Help From My Friends, A Day in the Life

4. The White Album - Deciding between this and Rubber Soul is hard, but the highs on this album are among the highs of their entire career. One of the big reasons I'm a big Kanye fan is because my brain sees so many parallels between his, and The Beatles discographies. If 808s is his Revolver, and MBDTF is his Sgt. Peppers, then The Life of Pablo is DEFINITELY his White Album. Like TLOP, The White Album is long, all over the place, and not cohesive at all. While it has some missteps, the majority of The White Album is so undeniably incredible that you cannot help but love this project. If anything, the mess that it is adds to its charm, and you love it more for it. One thing to keep in mind too is, The White Album is sometimes referred to as "the tension album". This album was recorded at a time when they were all at each others throats constantly (Ringo actually briefly quit the band because of it all) and yet, through the chaos rises this work of f---ing art. HIGHLIGHTS: Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, Blackbird, and Long, Long, Long

5. Rubber Soul - Rubber Soul, as I mentioned above, was probably the first album where the boys REALLY started exploring their creative capabilities (Help! had flashes). The music was more interesting than their previous efforts, and the lyrics more mature. You also have early examples of the guys using more unorthodox instruments, i.e. the sitar on Norwegian Wood. This album set the stage for their following release, Revolver, perfectly. HIGHLIGHTS: Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), I'm Looking Through You, Michelle, In My Life

6. Magical Mystery Tour - I don't care for much of MMT too terribly much, but this album did have Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am The Walrus, two songs that I place among The Beatles best work. These two songs almost deserve to be placed in their own unique genre. They are so weird and strange, but because it was The Beatles that wrote and recorded them, they work. The production on them alone is jaw-dropping. You also cannot forget Fool on the Hill and Penny Lane, two of McCartney's greatest songs ever. HIGHLIGHTS: the songs I mentioned above

7. Let It Be - The stretch of The Beatles' career from December 1965 to 1970 saw a string of releases that will probably never be matched in popular music in terms of bonafide classic after bonafide classic (some artists are close, no doubt). Rubber Soul-Revolver-Sgt. Peppers-Magical Mystery Tour-The White Album-Abbey Road-Let It Be is just TOO f---ing GOOD. Let It Be is the last album released in arguably the greatest musical career of all time (though not the last recorded, which was actually Abbey Road). While this album isn't QUIIITE up to the standard that the previous releases set, it's still a d--- fine rock n' roll record. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but it f---ing rocked nonetheless. HIGHLIGHTS: I've Got a Feeling, Let It Be, Dig A Pony, Get Back and Don't Let Me Down

8. Help! - Help! was still boy-band, "cutsie" Beatles, but there were definite flashes of what was to come in the following years. Songs like Yesterday, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, and the title track are incredible and very mature for the time. HIGHLIGHTS: those songs, plus It's Only Love, You're Gunna Lose That Girl, and I've Just Seen a Face

and the rest

9. Hard Days Night
    10. Beatles For Sale
    11. Please Please Me
    12. With The Beatles
    13. Yellow Submarine

Hope this helps you, or any others hoping to discover The Beatles AKA the greatest group in the history of modern music. This is Riles, your resident Beatles-stan, signing out :emoji_v:

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Sep 12, 2016
    I'm by no means a Beatles expert. Not even close. But my favorite album in Sgt. Peppers.

Mar 29, 2024