Casual Review: Nef the Pharaoh x Cardo "Neffy Got Wings" EP

Started by Charlie Work, Jan 24, 2016, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Jan 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

Cardo is the producer who elevated the mediocrity that is Wiz Khalifa on Kush & OJ and there are certainly shades of that in Nef. He's really an amalgamation of lots of different elements. He reps the Bay hard on this tape but you can hear influence from Rae Sremmurd as well, particularly in the register he uses. Skimming through his enormous amateur catalog really tells you how much of an identity overhaul that he's went through to get to this point. Anyway let's get to it.

Nef kicks things off with a catchy anthem over Cardo's crystalline synthscape. The chorus sounds like it was an absolute beast to put together with various layers and vocal effects. Nef quickly flirts with a taboo that I can't stand which is calling back to your biggest song (f--- u Migos) by name dropping Big Tymin. It's a pretty standard single with a cool flow switch in the third verse. Very catchy. Definitely a strong start.

Cardo embraces the Bay more obviously on this track with the signature g-funk whistle synth. Nef tries his hand at the standard womanizer track. He switches between flows pretty effortlessly here while delivering the typical fare. There are some interesting choices in the third verse that almost approach sweet in regards to cunnilingus, both partners agreeing on the condom, the stole/owe flip acknowledging female pleasure, the Instagram creeping. Definitely less evil than a Weeknd verse though maybe I'm still uneasy about the latest Migos tape: I gave a b---- a Plan B (Open your mouth)// ‘Cause she was my plan B (Side b----)//I got my hoe on a leash (Get over here)//. Ew.

This might be my favorite track on the tape. Nef performs a seance where he channels Mac Dre hard. His inflection is the hyphiest thing I've ever heard. Cardo employs the classic version of DJ Mustard's signature bass plucks. Not too hot on Mozzy's guest appearance and the chorus is kind of puzzling in the way it references the Eric Garner slogan for... some reason? Still, this track is too much fun to find a gripe.

Nef opens with an sweet memory prefacing his sort-of tribute to the King of Pop. His homage amounts to little more than surface level references, but the track is really excels thanks to the choices of Cardo. The beat is monstrous and the breaks and cut offs really make the vocals pop.

"Mob s--- b----". Time to put on a mean mug. God d--- Cardo delivering another winner. Nef takes a minute to warm up but gets into another hyphy seance on the break and carries it through the rest of the track. The stealing from the Bay refrain kind of sounds like Odd Future to me lol. Not sure that was the intended affect. Another solid track regardless.

I wouldn't mind hearing that "Cardo Got Wangs" tag find its way to more artist's work. Cardo brings back the ghetto whistle and the hype Renaissance continues. This is honestly a straight up impression of Mac Dre by this point but it's so d--- enjoyable. Nef is actually at his most interesting to me when he's calling back to the Thizz founder. Another take-it-or-leave-it feature unfortunately.

Royal b---- is about the possibly hopeless search for a girl to treat right and not settling for less. Kind of refreshing? Most of the tracks I can think of like this are not recent ones. Nothing super eye opening, but it's the thought that counts I suppose. He could've easily did the cookie cutter p---- track.

Ty Dolla $ign is a pleasure to see featured despite being really average in his solo career. He garnishes other people's work really well. This was a Billboard Exclusive so I suppose it was the intended buzz single which makes since seeing as how Ty is the most noteable feature on here. Eric Bellinger is another singer type. It's a tame and non-rap-fan freindly. I don't like it all that much. Definitely not the reason I've enjoyed the tape thus far. Cardo also dumbs himself down which might be the most criminal part.

Oh no, he's already referencing the opening track like it's his next big hit. Stop dat. This is the third love song in a row. Hard pass.

"Trey at the boards". So that's his engineer? Well props to that guy. He's done a great job. Not exactly true to his promise, Nef drops a "Eminem/D12 b---- I am the proof" line on a track titled "Innovative". d---, these last 4 tracks really feel phoned in.

Final Thoughts: Cardo's production might be more appreciated in small doses. His sound is a bit too narrow to carry an entire project, even one that's only 10 tracks long. Nef's career as a mainstream-ish rapper is promising and impressive when you hear some of his old stuff. This is a really refined effort and showcases his ability to be catchy and conform to a certain degree to trends while also incorporating his own unique tastes, most notably when the Mac Dre stuff. It's a decent project that loses steam in the latter half.

Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Jan 24, 2016
    Great review, I liked that Cardo switched up his usually more frantic production to accommodate and make Nef's life easier in the booth. I agree with the Rae Sremmurd vibe the tracks carry but it's never to the point where Nef is biting their style. Features definitely dropped the tape down by a notch but other than that it was a smooth easy listen just like any 10 track tape should be. Does he have a project that came out before this one?

Charlie Work likes this.
    Charlie Work likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Jan 24, 2016
    #RichBy25
    #RichBy25Two
    The Kyle Mixtape
    The Doodoo Fixtape
    Fresh Hitler
    #iamnef