Do We Expect Too Much Of The Artists We Like?

Started by Michael Myers, Nov 11, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 11, 2017
    Obviously this is inspired by Walk On Water but this is in general, not just about Eminem.

When an artist tries something new, people say just stay true to yourself, sell out, riding the current wave etc. When they don't they aren't creative enough, living in the past etc. An artist can't please everyone.. there are always people who support the move of an artist and people that reject it.

Of course we have people who like anything an artist puts out no matter if its eminem, thug, kanye or drake. I'd like to call those people stans. But that is not what this thread is about.

Jays 444: "old washed up man needs to retire" vs "a very mature and personal album"

Drake Take Care: "lmao simpy emo music" vs "an interesting more emotional album"

Kendricks TPAB: "trying to sound intelligent lmao" vs "you have to be smart to get it"

Eminems Walk On Water: "finally some mature content which is also interesting at this point in his carreer" vs "lmao whiny b----"

Just a few examples of how different people react to artists they like. Any more examples? I think enough..

Discuss.

Apr 19, 2024
  2. CSA

CSA Architect

Nov 11, 2017
    Let me tell u those who hate on every f---in' thing are problematic. That's spirit that making all the bad things in the world.

Jay's 4:44 was maybe a classic. I really liked it. Washed up man needs to retire ? no f---in' way. I don't want a legend to retire. I wanna get music from him untill he dies whether he gives a classic or another Blueprint III. Doesn't matter.

Drake's Take Care wasn't any bad. I liked it too. He has his style and yet probably there is no one better at making hit music that's very easy to like and listen.

Kendrick's albums are great if not classics. (I don't think any of them are classics tho since I can skip a few songs while I'm listennin')

Eminem's Walk On Water, already said it few times but here we go again. Nothing like I expected or wanted his 1st single to be but I'd give it a 10/10 as an intro to the album. The fact that every single word means much in that song and also the fact that it's the realist s--- Em has ever given us in long time I appreciate it. Mİght be the foot steps of a classic incoming.

All in all, all those artists has very different, unique styles that I don't ever wanna lose. It's not like an average rapper. I wouldn't give a s--- about generic rappers because they all sound same to me I can't really tell the difference between most of them but these 4 are different. I don't know why people ask so much of them but I'm happy as long as they give something.

Hard Klyntar likes this.
    Hard Klyntar likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Cunner

Cunner belter skelter

Nov 11, 2017
    Do we expect too much from pasta some ppl like it some ppl don’t like it

Maybe it’s an uhhhh opinion

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Hard Klyntar

Nov 11, 2017
    Community is too toxic. I genuinely want WW3 to break out. I know I sound cruel but it is what it is. This humanity needs a good cleaning. You have to take a look at the big picture. Walk on Water shed some light on the community. This generation is arrogant,spoiled and too comfortable. Hip hop is very well known for not showing any slight of respect to legends but it's even worse now considering the community is poisoned by oversaturated dumbed down pieces of trash they call "music" these days. I don't think I have to name these guys who create trash "music". Music is a reflection of the world. It's simple as that. Something has to change for the better.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. FBG President

FBG President Super super

Nov 11, 2017
    I can’t believe I just read that walk on water was a 10/10 intro. Is that how starved you are of good music? You begin to think that trash is 10/10? Good lord.

I expect Eminem to give me dumpster bin classics and he delivers every time, so no I don’t expect too much.

Apr 19, 2024
  6. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Nov 11, 2017
    Never seen anyone react to 4:44 with “washed up old man needs to retire” maybe the two albums before that but 4:44 is a return to form.

I expect trash from Eminem, would be surprised if he delivered anything worth a second listen now. Walk On Water is weak for reasons that have nothing to do with it being whiny.

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Nov 11, 2017
    You really compared the reactions of 4:44 and TPAB to WoW (or any of Em's recent work)??

Newsflash pal two of those have overwhelming positive fan and critical reception, one had lacked both in his career for over 10 years now.

Apr 19, 2024
  8. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Nov 11, 2017
    Imagine hitting play on an Em song in these last 5 years

FBG President and Ordinary Joel like this.
    FBG President and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. TheReturn

Nov 11, 2017
    TPAB had mixed reception
    444 was loved because Hov is the president of rap.

Plus, more fans of rap and the culture prefer kendrick and hov to em so yes, there is a little bias.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. attila

Nov 11, 2017
    To answer the thread title : yes, fans always expect the best out of the artists & will always complain about something they don’t like in the song, well newsflash, nobody is god send, Drake, and pac, big, they are all humans and I’m sure there are mistakes in their songs too, people are probably too petrified to point them out, cause their always considered a “legend” & afraid that other people will bash them for it.

We expect too much, & it’s what leads to artists having depression & eventually leave

Apr 19, 2024
  11. nunofherdeiro

Nov 11, 2017
    Idk, i expected a good album from kendrick lamar, and he delivered .

Apr 19, 2024