Mar 31, 2015
    Young Thug is terrible lol

Packman and Young Sinatra like this.
    Packman and Young Sinatra like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  2. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    You're just making another excuse for any drake criticsm tho

It really isn't the same, people can actually listen to the Weeknd (whom I love more than Drake) and Drake and kind of come up with an argument for a lot of their sound becoming repetitive over the years

With thug, like you said, it's because they don't know enough that they come to that conclusion

But none of this even matters, I'm talking about as people who are fans of both artists, why it's okay to excuse drake because of how much material he puts out when that clearly doesn't affect other artists as much

And with thug it's material he doesn't even want out there -- with drake it's material he chooses to release most of the time, so your train of thought becomes even less of a vaible defense and more of an excuse

Just IMO tho :idk:

Apr 23, 2024
  3. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Mar 31, 2015
    No, I'm not coming up for an excuse for any Drake criticism, especially when it comes from you. Don't take any offense to this, but you've showed your short-sightedness with the artist on multiple occasions. Me suggesting NWTS should make a Top 25 essentials list got a reaction out of you lol.

But back to the criticism part, If you scroll up, you'll see that I agreed that he hasn't reinvented himself as an artist between NWTS and now. Fine tuned, yes, but not re-invent. But remind me when that became a factor? How many artists outside of Kanye West go left with every release? If you recall, it wasn't until Kanye's 4th album that he really let his creativity drive the project.

But maybe you're not expecting the extreme from him. Well, that's alright. If you can't seen any progression from this three studio releases, I don't know what to tell you. Thank Me Later, Take Care, and Nothing Was The Same may borrow from each other, but each project has it's own identity. That's something I know you don't grasp, as you made that clear when you told @Big Country that Nothing Was The Same didn't deserve a spot separate from Take Care.

You cited Kendrick, and how all 3 of his projects have their own identity. Yup, they do. But did TPAB not borrow sounds from Section.80? Did it not string together a concept from track to track like GKMC? From that perspective (re-invention aside) did he really switch it up that much? No more than Drake did from Thank Me Later to Nothing Was The Same, but again I doubt you see that fact.

And then moving forward to the throwaways since NWTS, if you don't see the range in those joints, it's because your not listening. Play Tuesday, Jungle, 6PM In New York, 0-100, Know Yourself, Whatcha Say, and then Days In The East, and 2 On/Thotful in any order. Tell me if you hear the range there or not.

Anyways bro, I know you like to argue just to argue, so if you feel like I'm making any excuses for the artist just post all of your issues with him in bullet form and I'll give you my thoughts.

Fazers and Worm like this.
    Fazers and Worm like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  4. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    Will respond to that post (and all the associated #narshshade) when I'm high at home later, cuz my fat a--- is at the gym atm

One thing tho, saying an artist may come off as stagnant becuase of all the material he's released since his last official album, is an excuse lol. He released that material willingly

Also, lol @ me thinking NWTS not being on a 25 essentials list, when we included his best project already, and have multiple other artists we ignored, being a big deal

But it's okay, just as how I'm "shortsighted" with drake, you're a Stanley so it evens out :drake2:

Apr 23, 2024
  5. Mike Tyson

Mar 31, 2015
    Yup, my post was an A1 example of how big of a stan I am lol.

Poorly thought out, no facts or examples to back my opinion, and blind support for the artist.

Try harder.

Apr 23, 2024
  6. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    Oh trust me, you know I will when I'm home :laff:

And when i do, you'll dismiss it all as me liking to "argue for the sake of arguing" (which is true, future lawyer over here, but irrelevant)

can't wait :khaled2:

Apr 23, 2024
  7. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

Apr 23, 2024
  8. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    :laff:

Pretty much doe

Just being at a gym means you're losing weight right?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Apr 23, 2024
  9. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    Which multiple occasions? (inb4 i like MCHG)

And if me thinking grouping Drake together, because it's more about the narrative then the strength of the individual projects, is "short sightedness," than wanting NWTS to have it's own slot when TC is already in the top 5, and there are NUMEROUS artists we overlooked for this list, is, um, "narrow minded" I think.
    I never said he had to go "left" at all -- I said that if you can go ahead and cite 50 releases since NWTS, and releases 40-50 sound like they're the same session as releases 1-10, then I'm going to get bored.

And I am with Drake, despite loving so many individual tracks from him these past few years (5 am in toronto, the motions, days in the east, 0 to 100, draft day and so on)

That last comment is kind of false too -- do you think Drake refining his sound from TC to NWTS is comparable to the progression Ye made from TCD to LR? I thik the latter showed, at the very least, more risk. So I don't think it's fair to say Kanye wasn't pushing himself or the genre until his 4th release.

the 4th release was the "left turn," yes, but the orchestral sound of LR in and of itself is progression (more than Drake's refinement of his sound) is it not?

I dont know how Kanye came up, but Im sticking with the example. take it with a grain of salt tho, this wasnt supposed to be drake vs kanye

Of course I see progression from TML to TC, when/why would I ever deny that? Is TC to NWTS as significant as you believe? No, I dont think so. I think it's kind of the start of stagnation -- which I've explained can happen even if he's been consistantly good/"refining" his sound.

Lol, this wasn't what I was getting at with "separate identities" at all. I was speaking spefically from a writing POV and creating a narrative for the top 25 write ups.

Mac's 3 projects couldnt be ANY more different than each other -- one's a regular album, the others a pitch shifted madlib/quasimodo-esque self produced EP of sorts, and the last was a live album.

They ALL could've had separate posts -- but they all wouldn't have made the list separately. They were grouped together so that the write up for Mac was holistic.

And with how many other people we couldve included, NWTS wouldn't have made it either if removed from TC. But instead it was coupled with that so that we could make Drake's write up more inclusive.

It has nothing to do with the sound really, at all. But even then, we only had sec80 and GKMC on the list -- and those two are COMPLETELY different sonically lol so I don't get you're point there. TPAB wasn't a part of our list. I was merely saying sec80, as what introduced kendrick to the scene, and GKMC, as what had him hailed as "king," had separate narrative worth writing about.

Plus both kendrick projects were just good enough to make the list in general. I dont NWTS was...if it was just that good tho, like TC pt 2, and was criticaly acclaimed blah blah blah, we could've gave it its own spot sure.

But as of now, is there anything missing from that TC/NWTS write up that needed it's own spot to expand on?

Yeah I really don't see this at all. but feel free to enlighten me. Although TPAB built off of sec80 like you said (and ive said the same before), its literally not "refining" or "building on" that sound -- its taking elements from it, and a whole bunch of other influences.

As you've said multiple times, thats NOT what drakes doing. He's borrowing elements from himself and refining them, which is perfectly fine.

but you're TML-NWTS and sec80-TPAB being the same is completely off base.

and GKMC, the middle record, sounds nothing like the other two. but anyways. this wasn't about kendrick either -- just drake.

I do for sure man, but this conversation stemmed from you saying you agree that Drake's gotten one-note in the grand scheme of things -- but blaming that on the amount of material he released. I came in and said that sounds like an excuse. That's literally all this convo was supposed to be about -- whether that thought process you used is an excuse or legitimate defense.

I still don't see how it's a legitimate defense. He chose to release all this material right? He could've been more selective -- you don't get to give a pass to the big picture, because you can point out instances of range.

Drake's almost always had range -- that's part of what made him appealing to a lot (and dr(f)ake to even more people). So saying he's still doing that doesnt really help or hurt your case, it's just true, and I agree with you on that. Yes he can still put out 0-100 and the motions in the same breath, but this was about the 40 other songs along with that that aren't as diverse.

And all I've gotten in response to that is that hey man, its not his fault, hes just blessing us with a lot of material.

We'll see with his next album, but unless IYRT was a way to flush out everything else from these sessions the last year or 2, I can only see Views being more of the same (even if that same is good, and something I ultimately like, like IYRT).

also if i didn't "argue for the sake of arguing," aka discussing music on this forum, it would be like 95% less active lol

let me nerd out in peace sheesh

Apr 23, 2024
  10. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    ^ inb4 "how long did that take you to write!?!"

only like 7 minutes lol, i know because i just got back from the gym and have warm food in front of me that needs to get in my belly

[​IMG]

Apr 23, 2024
  11. Mike Tyson

Mar 31, 2015
    @Narsh you're posting a lot of words and conveying very little, so if you want me to reply to anything specifically, just tell me. I don't want you to think I'm reading/replying selectively, I just don't know where you expect a response/where you don't. But one thing that popped out at me:

You keep going on about how he chose to release the music - not always, a handful of those songs leaked and so he was forced to release them. But ignoring that fact, do you think the volume of music he has released is a detriment? Yes he chose to release (most) of it, that's why he's is the enigma that he is right now. His success in unparalleled, and some cases, unfathomable. For an entire project to chart, that's crazy. That's because he's dropping anthem after anthem. Trophies, and then Tuesday, and then 0-100, and then Know Yourself. None of which sound similar by the way, and none of which sound like his material on his last album, NWTS. If there's an excuse buried in this paragraph, just bold it for me.

Also you don't hear the significant progression (good or bad) from TC to NWTS? Isn't the reason its initial reception was lukewarm due to how different his sound was from Take Care? To quote you, NWTS is "taking elements from" TC "and a whole bunch of other influences." SFTB and Worst Behaviour was not 'refining' in any form or fashion.

Anyways if you're able to post your gripes with Drake in a presentable format, I can go down the list with anything I disagree with.

Apr 23, 2024
  12. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    Not really, I kinda just touched on every point you made that seemed off base. like my reasoning for not thinking nwts deserved its own spot, some random stuff with kanye and kendrick you brought up, etc. but okay

yes 100%. I guess that's where we differ -- you see the amount of music he's released, can highlight the, well, highlights (which show consistency and range), and kind of dismiss the rest as just being there because of his relevancy. I'm trying to take it all in and im starting to get bored with him lol
    sidenote: you almost always bring up drake's mainstream appeal, or sales, or relevancy, whatever, no matter what the topic is. i don't see how thats relevant at all to a conversation about the quality/progression of his work. i understand that his success/trajectory provides context, but it still does come down to whats out there officially, and how good it is, right? (i think it needs to be noted, for the millionth time, that im a fan of literally everything hes put out in this time span...none of these conversations are happening because I hate drake. im just trying to see if you have a point about his progression, or if he's getting kind of stale like Im thinking).

You're right about the emergence of the wurst-behavior drake, and i seem to remember that a lot of people weren't fans of this. i kinda love the song, and that's probably why i like so many of it's sonically similar counterparts on IYRT. And he did improve on that, which is why so many more people are on board now, i think.

And, although taking about his work from a production pov has its merits, im more on your side in that regard than anything. him and his team have been perfecting and re-tuning their sound to varying degrees of success since TC, and they've gotten pretty impeccable.

I think what Im more hung up is the content and personas/masks he wears, which we really havent talked about at all yet. we've just been going back and worth about the "sound" (which im actually a fan of). when i say he's kind of plateauing, i dont know why you assumed this was only about the overall sound. i just went along with it cause im pretty baked, but i just realized we aren't even really talking about the songs as a whole yet...

Apr 23, 2024
  13. attila

Mar 31, 2015
    I wonder if Myke ever reads these long a--- Narf posts or he just ignores them.

Apr 23, 2024
  14. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    he's told me its the 2nd one

Apr 23, 2024
  15. Mike Tyson

Mar 31, 2015
    I don't bring up sales, 500k in 3 days was impressive, but I don't care about that.

But his relevance is unparalleled, thats a story I don't think you can ignore when you talk about Drake. Releasing the quality of music he does while enjoying success in such a range of markets and fan bases is a testament to him. Also I tied that in to the 'volume' thing, that's why I brought it up.

Apr 23, 2024
  16. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    For sure man, I don't disagree with you about any of this lol

and that's the narrative we went with for the top 25 piece as well, didnt we?

Apr 23, 2024
  17. Mike Tyson

Mar 31, 2015
    So where does this leave us, do we hug or something?

Worm likes this.
    Worm likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  18. Mike Tyson

Mar 31, 2015

Apr 23, 2024
  19. Narsh

Mar 31, 2015
    we're alright I gusss
    [​IMG]

can't wait for views from the 6 to be great tho so I can eat my words :drake3:

Apr 23, 2024
  20. Creation

Creation By Any Means

Mar 31, 2015
    I always assumed that it was one big troll, just like Lil B.:idk:

Apr 23, 2024