Eminem Eminem can no longer intertwine lyricism with artistry

Started by Big Dangerous, Sep 26, 2016, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Sep 26, 2016
    Nothing new here, this been the general idea for awhile now.

I was listening to Mick Jenkins new album earlier and thought wow this guy is lyrically dense yet he never lets that overpower his messages or his musical sound. Now this thread isn't about him or that record, so lets drop that.

In comparison, I think of Eminem who for the longest time now can be lyrical sure but he can't do what I mentioned above. There is an honestly small fraction of time where he makes a good 'song' now or he is lyrical and keeps a clear message...

Think about it for a minute...at what point did Eminem decide it was okay to make an EPIC first half to a verse like on Medicine Man, I mean like EPIC fam, with the 'f---in goes through the walls like the ghost of Lou Rawls' or w/e, those intro bars. Didn't waste syllables, he was potent, focused, witty, and emotional. And it flowed great too like wow, this dope I may show my friends this.

But at some point (and this goes for his music in general, not only this verse), Marshall thinks its ok to fill in a bar with something like

"I'm still underground as a groundhog, and immagophermine!" like, stupid line, stupid voice, stupid effect, stupid flow. Why? Why must he throw in his cheap punchlines and wordplay in the middle of the verse when he is showing signs of improvement, signs of being lyrical and a good musician?

Do you think maybe we should take it at face value, the way he explains things, that he is literally a rap robot who is more in it for being an anal wordplay machine and so that constantly interrupts his actual musical side? Maybe he is interested in producing good music like say, Going Through Changes, and sometimes he slips up and doesn't realize he's ruining a moment or verse or line?

tldr; modern Eminem always ruins his good music by plugging in contrived flows, wordplay, punchlines, etc.

Apr 18, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Sep 26, 2016
    Adding to this, why does he HAVE to do flows that are complex yet not fun to listen to? Sometimes I can't even care what he's saying or enjoy the song because he's purposely making a flow stanza that puts my ears in a headlock. At what point does 'lyricism' have to go out the window?

Maximus likes this.
    Maximus likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  3. Spatula

Spatula Relapse is a masterpiece

Sep 26, 2016
    It's true, this has been his fixation for a while now, but he changes his fixation on every new album cycle. I believe he's done and he'll move on to something else. He's been focusing on technicalities that it doesn't really feel like a song. You're right, the first part of Medicine Man up to the ghost of Lou Rawls is brilliant, classic Eminem material, but after that it gets annoying.

Hopefully he's done with this. I don't think he'll do it again on his next solo album. Think of it as him trying out new things because he's probably bored with regular type of songs.

Apr 18, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Sep 26, 2016
    I have never seen a spatula represent his opinions so tactfully

I don't think this is a phase simply because he has did it through MMLP2, both side projects, guest verses etc. for three years now

I mean, if you don't count any overly complex flows and technicality, this expands all the way back to Recovery, 6 years ago.

Apr 18, 2024
  5. Spatula

Spatula Relapse is a masterpiece

Sep 26, 2016
    Recovery was a different type of fixation, the punchlines. But during that period there wasn't this unnatural packing of rhymes that require the stop and go flow in order to be noticed, and actually most of the songs on Recovery are not heavy on the punchlines, with quite a few without punchlines at all, like Seduction, Going Through Changes, Talking To Myself...

What Eminem is doing now is technically impressive but phonetically horrible. Like the first verse of Fine Line, it might be OK on paper, but it's like running your nails on a chalkboard to listen to. This sort of started on MMLP2 but it went to full mode after that. But there's no way he'll still do it on his next solo album, he's aware of it. This type of songs is probably reserved to casual features or side projects.

It's like he said in Guts Over Fear, he's just doing songs for fun cause he's struggling to pull real emotions anymore. Hopefully, that in itself can be a topic to cover on his next album.

There are some gems in all this though. I love Vegas, All I Think About and a few more. Mark my words, there's no way this type of songs is going to be on his next solo album. Maybe 1 or 2 somewhere, or a bonus track, but the majority of the album won't have anything to do with this.

Apr 18, 2024
  6. froboy6942

Sep 26, 2016
    I agree! I'm sick of his wordplay and punchlines. It's too much. He ran it into the ground. I wish he'd go back to how he used to and just rap with real substance. Or at least be witty with not too many punchlines.

Big Dangerous likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  7. Deyameister

Sep 26, 2016
    I prefer to reserve judgement until his next album comes out

Dj Diesel, truthless, Nick and 2 others like this.
    Dj Diesel, truthless, Nick and 2 others like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  8. JackGal

Sep 26, 2016
    You'll be silent for a while, unfortunately :wow5:

Nick likes this.
    Nick likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  9. Zarra

Sep 26, 2016

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  10. ConspiracyGang

Sep 26, 2016
    This thread makes zero sense he only does the wack lyrical obsessed rapping on guest features and even that is sometimes mainly on wack features like Calm Down

On his most recent albums he either makes love or personal songs with him singing on the hook and bridge or slim shady songs with him singing on the hook

E.G. Stronger Than I Was, Beautiful Pain, Bezerk, Not Afraid, Beautiful, Going Through Changes, Headlights, Evil Twin, Baby

And his most recent feature his latest collab with Sykler which came out a few days ago he has a verse about love

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  11. DetroitDGAF

DetroitDGAF Locked in Mariah’s Wine Cellar

Sep 26, 2016
    Diagnol backwards front back lateral

What the f--- ever eminem, what the f--- ever.

Apr 18, 2024
  12. Sav Stanfield

Sep 26, 2016
    I just can't understand what happened to his flow. I mean Relapse was a piece of s--- but if you ignored the content (and the accent) it sounded beautiful. He was liquid flowing over those beats. ever since Forever dropped 7 years ago it seems he's completely lost the ability to stay on beat, besides for the very occasional exception. Can he really not hear how bad he sounds now?

Apr 18, 2024
  13. Big Dangerous

Sep 26, 2016
    Jesus that is part of his new verse isn't it? :empalm:

I was trying to keep up with the verse then that part happened and I was like

wwwWWWwWhHaaattt the fuckKKkkKkK:skip::skip::drake4::dead::dead:

DetroitDGAF likes this.
    DetroitDGAF likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  14. DetroitDGAF

Sep 26, 2016
    Literally some of the cringiest s--- ive ever heard a white person say.

And you know how white ppl are

Apr 18, 2024
  15. pop

pop

Sep 26, 2016
    honestly what's the difference between canibus and eminem in 2016 rapping wise?

Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  16. Big Dangerous

Sep 26, 2016
    He's just not worth it anymore lol

I don't want to do mental gymnastics every time I listen to him. It's like you have to jump through hoops to enjoy an Eminem verse .

And no before some Stan says it, no that doesn't mean I'm dumb or don't enjoy lyrical music. I do enjoy lyrical music. It's eminems fault that he can't blend it into good tunes

Apr 18, 2024
  17. That One Blind Kid

That One Blind Kid I need drugs

Sep 26, 2016
    i like it man, but his s--- can be cringy af lol

DetroitDGAF likes this.
    DetroitDGAF likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  18. Nick

Nick (;

Sep 26, 2016
    I thought about this as well. Song like forever and no love are good example of what he's lost.. he tries way to hard to get this syllable pattern and it make the song really hard to listen to.

During recovery he rapped 'fast' but still used a more simple rhyme scheme. He was never trying to make the first syllable of some word to rhyme with the 3rd syllable in the line after.

Apr 18, 2024
  19. Big Dangerous

Sep 26, 2016
    Now right in the middle of a verse he says something like "got diagonals back right trapezoid angular front lateral pi divide by 8 squared" or some s---

Apr 18, 2024
  20. DetroitDGAF

Sep 26, 2016

I want my lyrics to paint an image though, like something i can fully immerse in.

Eminem's lyrics on kfy for example, paints scribbly lines with a bent fork

"Babydoll you're perfect the way you are/accidents happen"

Wait what

Maximus, Spatula, Nick and 1 other person like this.
    Maximus, Spatula, Nick and 1 other person like this.
    Apr 18, 2024