Eminem Eminem Cypher at the BET Awards (Out)

Started by RG9, Oct 10, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. hustleandcuss

hustleandcuss suck my robot d*ck

Oct 13, 2017
    bro I'm gonna leave this conversation here, because you're basically saying that anybody that points out racial inequalities - or the fact that sociologically, anybody who demographically exists within a majority receives some form of social privilege over those in the minority - are the ones that are creating the divide and creating the race issues.

you're basically saying that there has to be something wrong with minorities or black people - maybe they just want attention, maybe they're delusional, maybe they're just whiny - to all just be raising these same issues and believing the same thing about white privilege. the fact that you basically called it 'superstition' is just...
    because you don't feel like it's true, so that means what then - that they're all lying about systemic racial inequality? or just crazy? why don't they get the benefit of the doubt from you?

and I'm leaving the convo bc if that's the case, it's getting real close to a territory of blanket prejudice.

it would behoove you, as someone who is not a minority or victim of day-to-day racism or racial oppression, and CANNOT experience America or wherever as a minority the way they do, to take the word of the ppl that do experience it instead of deciding you know better.

Apr 25, 2024
  2. Chaotic Progress

Chaotic Progress MMIII APR 26

Oct 13, 2017
    Okay, so you're pointing out that the time period makes a difference. If that's the case... Why would Eminem sell as much as he does now? I thought the shock or that thing is over, so why would Eminem continue to sell... because he's a visible white rapper... ?

But... that doesn't apply to other white rappers. Even one stood next to him. ... Okay. Great logic.

If the theory is that white kids are identifying with him because he's white and that's the source of sales, that should apply to other visible white rappers even today. And if it doesn't and you're implying times have changed, then it doesn't apply to Eminem either. In which case why does he still sell like he does?

I'll give you a hint - catchy fkn music.

There's countless black rappers much, much more famous than countless white rappers... because they make catchier music which resonates with people. No kids are buying albums or listening to s--- because the rapper has their skin colour. That is just absolute ridiculousness.

Apr 25, 2024
  3. Lucy

Lucy #1

Oct 13, 2017
    racial politics in US are different to Aus and UK. at the time of eminems career, 99.99% of hip hop artist were black, or whack. so by being white, Eminem stands out already. he is something new and different which is why he is as big as he is now. skill clearly isn't too big a factor, especially considering he was on multiple anti-anxiety, anti-depressants, downers... the exact type of drugs to cause cognitive ability of a drunk.

Apr 25, 2024
  4. Lucy

Lucy #1

Oct 13, 2017
    nobody is buying albums cause of a songs catchiness thats just ridiculous

Apr 25, 2024
  5. RG9

RG9

Oct 14, 2017
    I feel like this lyric from Eminem himself is relevant rn

“If I was black I would’ve sold half”

Apr 25, 2024
  6. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Yep. He stood out.

But the music still had to be outstanding to sell like it did. Or not even outstanding, it's about catchiness - as you point out - skill is not that big of a factor. It's about catchy music.

(Although catchy + lots of skill = megastar and sustained.)

Jay-Z is bigger than almost all other white rappers but 1... WHY? Why wouldn't even half-good white rappers be much bigger than Jay-Z if it's about just not being whack and being white.

Jay-Z makes much catchier and bigger music which reasonates. There's examples both sides which disprove the idea that race is the factor or even A factor.

Apr 25, 2024
  7. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Are you serious?

You don't think a songs melodic factor or the musical aspect - whatever the level of thought, skill etc. is maybe the most major factor of music's success?

You don't think Britney Spears or countless pop stars have the success they do because of how repetitive and memorable the music is? What do you think makes people want to replay and remember music. Why don't underground rappers who, whilst amazing lyrically, sell?...

Because their fkn music is not big and catchy. That's the biggest factor which makes music resonate. Not race.

Hence the fact Michael Jackson has the biggest selling album ever by a solo artist and (waits for lame MJ race jokes)... he was fully black in appearance with Thriller. Yet it's the biggest album ever?... So how is this about race?

23michael23 likes this.
    23michael23 likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  8. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Okay first of all, don't dare try to paint me in a racial corner. I'm not American bro, I don't play that game, I'm not susceptible to that BS.

I could give two f---s about race, it doesn't factor into my brain and never did, and never did for every single person I've known in my life.

First of all, many people BLACK AND WHITE are discussing race and pointing out inequality, or implying it. So if I disagree with this notion, I'm disagreeing with white people too. This is about facts and reality, not about people's race. I only care about the former.

So no, I'm not doubting people of minorities - I'm doubting people of majority who think this too, so don't make my arguments of facts about race, that's some low s--- bro. And low level thinking.

Of course there has been much injustice and inequality in the past, throughout history and most of all in America and of course all of this plays some inescapable part on economic and societal positioning...

What I am disagreeing with, is, in about the past few years in particular... Making every single thing about race or implying it's this constant on-going prejudice in the minds of white people or organisations everywhere, like there's this constant agenda against minority in every single action or moment ranging from an album sale to a war to who wins a fkn Grammy. I think all of this s--- is incorrect, vague rubbish and ironically just fodder for the very news stations and papers who people claim are racist - it's putting money in their pockets, eating off this sensationalism as they join the conversation to eat off the idea that this is reality.

Race has played a part in a lot, in America mostly, no doubt. But does that mean it plays into EVERYTHING? Or that it plays into album sales or the actions and thoughts of most people... No. That is what I am calling out.

I do not believe kids or most people buy albums or listen to music based on somebody's race.

Case in point again - Thriller is the biggest album OF ALL TIME. This is from a black man. It's about the fkn music. Big, catchy, memorable music is what sells. Not race.

23michael23 likes this.
    23michael23 likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    But 50 Cent's debut sold double Eminem's debut?

So Eminem did sell half, but he was white.

Apr 25, 2024
  10. Lucy

Lucy #1

Oct 14, 2017
    too hungover to read all this gay s--- stfu u fa----

Chaotic Progress likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  11. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Thriller.

Apr 25, 2024
  12. hustleandcuss

hustleandcuss suck my robot d*ck

Oct 14, 2017
    @EminemBase I'm not American either so what's your point.
    no, it's not this "constant going-on of prejudice in the minds of ppl", that lets me know you don't understand the actual issue. Having white/majority privilege doesn't mean someone's racist or at blame for anything.

The point is that yes, you can easily disagree with someone who hasn't experienced the thing that they say is an issue. If a black person and a white person have an opinion on what it's like to be black, it's easy to disagree with the white person's opinion - bc they're not black. I'm not saying you're targeting black people to disagree with their views, I'm saying despite the topic you still disagreed with the black person's opinion, in this scenario, and decided that neither were right and you're opinion on what it's like to be black is the truest.

Apr 25, 2024
  13. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    No bro, I do understand the current theory of white privelage and know it is not about individual racism.

With regards to me deciding I know what it's like to be black... When the f--- did I say that? I'm just addressing each individual thing - if I see or hear of actual prejudice, I'm going to say f--- that like anybody else.

However, I follow hip-hop s--- all day long and 90% of the examples I hear are f---ing r-----ed and it's not about being black or being white because all of the examples are about suspicion of racism or white privelage - not an actual incident of a black person telling about prejudice they experienced... that I would never dispute - the amount of examples I hear from people like Joe Budden and Charlamagne... are non-sensical. It's jus some s--- where they're like 'ooh I bet it's because of race' basically, not actual s--- they experienced or something tangible they can explain.

It's just suspicion of and chalking up as much as possible to racism. Finding race in absolutely everything.

I demand rationality and clear evidence from anybody for anything, myself included, regardless of race or regardless of the issue we're discussing - including racism or white privelage. I'm not going to just accept every single notion of racism because it's from a black person either, that's ridiculous. Again, if it's something they experienced and it's... (no pun intended) just black and white, fair enough, of course. But all the s--- I'm hearing is vague theories and mostly utter rubbish about how this organisation or these people probably meant this or that or implying this or that.

Apr 25, 2024
  14. CityFan

Oct 14, 2017
    I always feel you’ve lost the argument when you start questioning someone’s age..

Anyway, for what it’s worth I think it would have been equally huge had Kanye done the same.

The only thing I agreed with Pitchfork is that Em probably probably does have a section of racist white Trump supporting fans that might be unique amongst Rap...and this will give them pause for thought.

You can’t actually believe that

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Apr 25, 2024
  15. stzenit94

Oct 14, 2017

DEHH discussed the Cypher, good watch for anyone. On top of this even takes shots at people who are saying he can't rap anymore.

@EminemBase will j*** over this

Jb27 likes this.
    Jb27 likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  16. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Watching now... DEHH is dope.

Are you saying I'll j*** over this because they're praising it? Nah man, I didn't even think it was that great. He actually did have lots of multis despite what they and many are saying... he just structured and delivered it really weirdly so it doesn't even feel like it, or rapping.

I just enjoyed the anger of it and the fact he did it. Because it was like 4 mins and how big he is... to do it, it was cool to see. But the actual rap itself? Meh. I don't agree it would have been less impactful if he flowed it and rapped better, I think it could have even been more so. He could have still emphasized s--- in a similar way, but it would have been much more enjoyable and memorable.

...Oh you mean when they're saying his stardom is what made it huge?. Yeah, I am jizzing over that, brb masturbating now.

DEHH is actually great in general for that, they almost never make s--- about race.

emanisbetter and stzenit94 like this.
    emanisbetter and stzenit94 like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  17. stzenit94

Oct 14, 2017
    Said j*** just so you watch it haha. Agree with your points. DEHH review of MMLP is great. You ever watch there Bad meets evil HTS review? haha

Apr 25, 2024
  18. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Lmao. Cool yeah well thanks for posting it... I had been checking to see if they'd discuss it.

Of MMLP... 2? Yeah I saw that and HTS, I think both were on-point.

Apr 25, 2024
  19. stzenit94

Oct 14, 2017
    No MMLP on classic reviews. I have there patreon will post here.

Apr 25, 2024
  20. Chaotic Progress

Oct 14, 2017
    Oh s---, nice. Nah I didn't realise they did that.

Apr 25, 2024
Live Thread