Eminem Best Posts: Eminem's current form & Obie Trice's "Second Round's On Me"

1. Custommustardstain

Nov 23, 2017
    So, I decided to throw Obie Trice's "Second Round's On Me" into my car the other day. Historically, I felt the album was quite average (compared to Cheers) and lacked replay value... BUT, boy was I wrong.

Comparing it to modern Eminem, Shady Records and other modern-day hip-hop/mumble rap releases (generalization on the last part); this album is fire.

Bar one or two tracks (i.e. 'Jamaican Girl'), the production, flow and content is great.

I can't understand if Eminem actually listens to his past signees albums and overall S.R releases (including his own) and actually comes to terms with the uniqueness that was the S.R and Eminem brand?

Whilst I understand the album was released during his 'Gangsta Phase', so were many others, including 'The Re-Up' which, despite his drug addiction, he still made fire beats, raps and flowed well.

As someone stated before, I can't help but think that if Relapse wasn't shat on, he would've still followed his unique S.R formula and carried a far better 2nd half to his career.

In terms of the mumble rap debate, I can't help but state that if you're going to disappear for almost four f---ing years, and then wank around with your album rollout, of course times will change and new genres will emerge. I can't say I'm an advocate for mumble rap (I hate it) but I mean come on, how can you complain about lack of lyricism etc when you're "recording everyday" but never put out an album, nor do you or Dre really push the agenda of great signees (case in point - John Connor).

Obviously it's easy to sit here and criticize, but I felt it was important to express this opinion. I believe his absentism stems from dealing/coping with his ongoing struggle as a recovering addict. This is something I respect and admire, and if that's the case then so be it.

Comments welcome.

SleepyGhost, KingZ, vi.le and 7 others like this.
    SleepyGhost, KingZ, vi.le and 7 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. fezzer

Nov 23, 2017
    Everywhere I go, I mean, like everywhere I be
    It seems like everybody knows, how I get down, and why B, homie
    Everywhere I go, I mean, like everywhere I be
    It seems like everybody knows, how I get down, and why B, homie

one of GOAT 50 hook.

Apr 19, 2024