2. No

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jan 5, 2016
    See link below for video of President Obama's press conference
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/politics/obama-executive-action-gun-control/

(CNN) President Barack Obama grew emotional Tuesday as he made a passionate call for a national "sense of urgency" to limit gun violence.

He was introduced by Mark Barden, whose son Daniel was killed in the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. Obama circled back to that shooting in the final moments of his speech.

"Every time I think about those kids, it gets me mad," Obama said, pausing to wipe away tears.

He added: "And by the way, it happens on the streets of Chicago every day," referring to his hometown where he began his political career.

The White House is introducing a new requirement that would expand background checks for buyers. The measure mandates that individuals "in the business of selling firearms" register as licensed gun dealers, effectively narrowing the so-called "gun show loophole," which exempts most small sellers from keeping formal sales records.

Former Congresswoman and gun control advocate Gabby Giffords, who was seriously injured in a 2011 mass shooting, was also in attendance at Tuesday's event and was greeted with a standing ovation from the White House audience.

Obama hammered congressional Republicans for opposing measures like expanded background checks as he called on Americans to punish them at the polls. He defended his actions to strengthen background checks for purchasing guns, answering critics who say the measure would not make it harder for criminals to obtain firearms.

"Each time this comes up, we are fed the excuse that common-sense reforms like background checks might not have stopped the last massacre, or the one before that, or the one before that, so why bother trying," Obama said. "I reject that thinking."

"We know we can't stop every act of violence, every act of evil in the world. But maybe we could try to stop one act of evil, one act of violence," he added.

The President blasted the gun lobby, particularly the National Rifle Association, and insisted that his actions are "not a plot to take away everybody's guns."

He compared his push for gun control to steps the United States and businesses have taken to limit traffic fatalities, require fingerprints to unlock iPads and keep children from opening bottles of aspirin.

"I believe in the Second Amendment, there written on paper, that guarantees the right to bear arms," Obama said. "No matter how many times people try to twist my words around, that's our constitutional law. I know a little bit about this. But I also believe that we can find ways to reduce gun violence consistent with the Second Amendment."

Obama said Congress, which blocked a tougher gun bill in 2013, still needs to impose new gun control measures. He noted that many of the actions he's calling for can only be imposed through legislative action.

"Congress still needs to act," Obama said. "The folks in this room will not rest until Congress does. Because once Congress gets on board with common-sense gun safety measures, we can reduce gun violence a whole lot."

"But we also can't wait," Obama added. "Until we have the Congress that's in line with the majority of Americans, there are actions within my legal authority that we can take to help reduce gun violence and save more lives."

In addition to expanding and bolstering the background check system to cover sales that take place online and at gun shows, Obama said the administration will provide more funding for mental health treatment, FBI staff and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives agents.

On Capitol Hill, the reaction from Republicans was just as Obama had predicted.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, said Obama's actions "will no doubt be challenged in the courts" and "can be overturned by a Republican President."

"From day one, the President has never respected the right to safe and legal gun ownership that our nation has valued since its founding," Ryan said in a statement. "He knows full well that the law already says that people who make their living selling firearms must be licensed, regardless of venue. Still, rather than focus on criminals and terrorists, he goes after the most law-abiding of citizens. His words and actions amount to a form of intimidation that undermines liberty."

Will Obama's gun moves face a legal challenge?

Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton, meanwhile, vowed in New Hampshire on Tuesday that she will "take on that fight" and continue Obama's gun control push if she's elected.

On Twitter, in a tweet signed "-H" to indicate it was written by Clinton, rather than her staff, the former secretary of state thanked Obama "for taking a crucial step forward on gun violence. Our next President has to build on that progress—not rip it away."

And her campaign highlighted Republican candidates' criticism of Obama's comments on its website, warning that a GOP president would undo Obama's actions.

Many polls have found broad support for expanded background checks -- the most recent being a Quinnipiac University poll in December. In that survey, 89% overall support it, 84% in gun-owning households, 87% of Republicans, 86% of independent, 95% of Democrats.

Obama's emotional evolution on gun control

In a December CNN/ORC poll, 48% of Americans said they were in favor of stricter gun control laws, 51% were opposed.

Support for stricter laws has been less than half since 2013. There's a sharp partisan divide on the question, with 74% of Democrats in favor of stricter laws, while just 23% of Republicans feel the same way.

Among those who live in a gun-owning household, 29% favor stricter laws, that rises to 65% among those who live in households where no one owns a gun.

Just 35% approve of Obama's handling of gun policy, including 56% of Democrats and 55% of liberals. That's well below his approval rating among Democrats/liberals for other top issue

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    I vote against any anti gun law this clown tries to enforce. Some goon starts spreading fire while I'm at the theatre, you're 100% right I'll be legally defending myself, armed, locked and loaded.

Any gun control law will lead to a rise in black market value increasing the strength of the Mexican Cartel.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Eazy

Eazy gotta have that crunch

Jan 5, 2016
    as if you've ever voted

lil uzi vert stan and Mike Tyson like this.
    lil uzi vert stan and Mike Tyson like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    I have. I major in political science. I know more about this than you. Put your headphones down and read a book.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Eazy

Jan 5, 2016
    you're a lame troll

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    >>>when you can't argue because you have no idea about that subject so I'll just pull the troll card

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Eazy

Jan 5, 2016
    no avatar, 39 posts, r-----ed username, claims to be a political scientist

>>>>>f--- off

lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    Are you trying to argue the Meixcan Cartel would not benefit, if the USA suddenly had strict gun laws?

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jan 5, 2016
    ^

Can someone ban Trent already?

Apr 19, 2024
  10. Lil Wayne

Lil Wayne Tha Carter V

Jan 5, 2016
    Are you even aware what this law involves?

[​IMG]

How is requiring background checks for gun buyers and sellers a bad thing?

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. Swizz

Jan 5, 2016
    you'd have to be a dumb sack of s--- to oppose background checks, tbh

same for increased mental health funding

Enigma, M Solo, Ordinary Joel and 4 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Jan 5, 2016
    wow the chiraq shout out

stay safe @Poohdini

Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. MTY

MTY VERY SHALLOW LISTENING

Jan 5, 2016
    good, finally some s--- is being done.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jan 5, 2016
    s--- is getting brutal. These kids'll hit your noodle then take a girl to the movies

Ok on a serious note thanks man. I'm about 30 minutes out from the city so I should be good.

Ordinary Joel and Mike Tyson like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Mike Tyson like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  15. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    The Obama admin is making that background check not seem like a big deal. But once you get some possession of weed charge for even a few grams or a crooked DUI they'll use that against you to stop you from buying guns. Would you really want to lose your gun rights over some minor marijuana charge? Especially if you smoke marijuana for medical reasons where it's illegal. That's very unconstitutional.

Also @Swizz read that and you do get a quick background check when you buy guns. I'm all for increasing funding for mental illness hospitals ect. That's how you prevent people from becoming a mass murder. All this new s-----y bill will do is keep non violent criminals with minor drug charges from getting guns.

@Enigma Seriously bro, wtf is your problem? I don't mess with you at all since SL. At least contribute to the thread instead of accusing me of someone I'm not.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  16. NyKill

NyKill POTATO

Jan 5, 2016
    so are you unable to obtain a gun based on what he wants to implement?

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Lucy

Lucy #1

Jan 5, 2016
    Lol what the f---. Can't even begin to imagine living in a paranoid country where I have to bring guns with me to the cinemas, just to watch a movie and feel safe.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  18. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    Well I'm enrolled in a pain management clinic for legit pain problems. An L5-S1 herniated disc, scoliosis and some mild arthritis and neuropathy from having a pinched nerve since I was young. And I'm worried about losing my gun rights over this bs bill because the Obama admin is very sneaky over this.

My point is I don't think me and other legit pain management patients should lose our gun rights over being prescribed narcotics or smoking weed for my condition which is safer than pills. I could see them pulling this s--- making it illegal to anyone possessing a gun if they're under the influence from prescribed narcotics. Now maybe this isn't what they'd do but from research it seems they just want to make it extremely hard for people to obtain guns and will easy any of those reasons I pointed out to do so.

Then if I can't get guns over my health problems, there's always a black market for guns and the cartels would be the ones spreading the guns so we'd only be making them more rich. Same as non prescribed drugs just because they're illegal to own doesn't keep people from doing them. You kind of get my point?

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Lucy

Lucy #1

Jan 5, 2016
    your point is that, if Gun-Control happens and your gun is taken away as a result, you and the countless other Americans in the same boat, will wander the streets on a quest to find the black market?
    and after finding said black market, you're all going to buy guns and walk home happy?
    Leaving the cartel at enormously overpowered strength because they sold their black market guns to law-abiding american citizens?
    what happens then?

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  20. rapper dizaster

Jan 5, 2016
    I know it seems kind of funny to you, but this is a legit concern for Americans these days. I've always been naturally paranoid and always had friends and people tell me I get paranoid too easily. However, you never know when a mass murder is going to occur. Wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry carrying a legally permitted firearm with you to a theatre in the US? I've only been to a movie theatre once since the CO theatre shootings and I kept my carry gun in my car because I didn't want the girl I was with thinking I was a paranoid maniac by putting the gun in my pocket before we went in. I made sure we sat by the exit door though in case something would have happened to where I could have sprinted to my car quick. I know I probably shouldn't be this paranoid, but how could you not be these days???

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024