Eminem Enough time hasnt passed yet, became real?

Started by Oldboy, Dec 16, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. spielende

Dec 16, 2017
    I see Relapse as his best post-hiatus album because

* it has the best flows, tempo, and pronunciation
    * it has the best beats and overall the production is very crisp and clear
    * while the subject matter may not be the best I find the actual lyrics to be clever/funny/emotional/sad - whatever they need to be in the context of the song

Basically: it sounds the best to me.

Hareezy, Coroner, ShadyLamar and 5 others like this.
    Hareezy, Coroner, ShadyLamar and 5 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. ComfortablyNumb

Dec 16, 2017
    For me it goes...

Relapse
    Revival
    MMLP2
    Recovery

Relapse is a classic in my eyes. Revival isn’t but it’s d--- good. MMLP2 is just alright. Recovery’s production is why it’s last.

Niels7878 likes this.
    Niels7878 likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Neppert

Dec 16, 2017
    Relapse had it all, the rhyme schemes, the story telling, the Dre beats. I don't think it's a classic, but it's a great album for what it is.

Apr 19, 2024
  4. shady389

Dec 16, 2017
    The problem with Relapse is it’s basically the same song over and over again. It gets old. Accents, murder, r---, pills, more accents, more murder, etc.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy I roll up like the bottom of a toothpaste tube.

Dec 16, 2017
    :emron:

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. MikkelR1

Dec 16, 2017
    Aside from the accents there was actually a lot of variety though.. My Mom/Hello are very different from 3AM/Stay Wide Awake and Beautiful/Crack a Bottle.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. TheDarkView

Dec 16, 2017
    d--- i love your avi

MikkelR1 likes this.
    MikkelR1 likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian This is the way

Dec 16, 2017
    That's extremely well put.

To me, Relapse is an album where Eminem painted weird cringey tales in a melodious manner, with those hooks tying the whole song with perfection. Revival even with greater subject matter, is all over the place, incoherent, inconsistent and honestly, unlistenable

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. lyricsmode

lyricsmode heavy duty like diarrhea

Dec 16, 2017
    The problem with S80 is no one wants to agree to disagree.

People are always low key trying to convince everyone of their own beliefs. Like, eminem isn’t a g.d. religion. If you like Revival or Relapse, why does every other forum member have to like it in order for you to shut the f--- up?

Share your perspective about why you like, honestly think about why some others may not when they share theirs, and move on

It’s also worth noting that’s i love Relapse. It’s the last Eminem album that resembles anything like his old flows and his old voice, and he told a story. Just because the story was horrocore and overcoming drug addiction, doesn’t make it less entertaining to me .

Every track until Mr. Mathers (skit) he’s on drugs and hallucinating. He OD’s, and the rest of the album is him sobering up. That’s how I always viewed it

KingZ likes this.
    KingZ likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Dec 16, 2017
    thats true for the entire universe, not just S80 lol

lyricsmode likes this.
    lyricsmode likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. NaKeD

Dec 16, 2017
    No, it hasnt become real. Encore is still trash.

Relapse has very good production, great flows, and great rhymes. It has better replay value than the majority of his discography.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Dec 16, 2017
    I think relapse is one of his three bad albums

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. KingZ

Dec 16, 2017
    There are a lot of weird subtleties to relapse. Like he uses an accent only when hes drugged out on the prowl or decapitating bodies in his basement. He doesn't use the accent when he is reminiscing (insane, my mom) or later in the album when he goes clean after overdosing. The accent stands for the drugged out psycho em is portraying.

I think relapse is a very good album but only if you view it in isolation to the rest of his work. It has no real comparisons with any of his prior or post albums, its his most unique project. The content is ludicrously cringey but in a different way than how cringey he is today. Itll make you wince if you really listen to it and pay attention to the story it is attempting to display. Em is a tormented horror movie villian, dancing naked through capricious scenes of extreme r---, torture and drug abuse. A horror movie on wax. It really does sound like the product of severe isolation, like Em made a project with absolutely no knowledge of what had changed since his hiatus and the expectations that came with it. The whole serial killer thing could be an allegory for how far removed you become from society and priorities in the midst of drug abuse, you lose yourself to a demon you fail to grasp control of.

Slim shady was already an evil character with a terrible past in sslp, he had r---d and killed people before. Relapse is the extension of that character had he blown up, made it out of poverty and then gone into deep drug addiction and further isolation. Basically multiplying the s--- out of his already very psychotic personality to a far more extreme version.

This being said, its still a rather niche album. Its pretty much horrorcore through the entire thing with only two or three breaks from unrelenting serial killer escapades. It makes sense why people hated it on release yet later appreciated it, I dont see that happening with recovery or mmlp2 in the same way. those albums are kind of just collections of tracks with a loose theme.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    NAES, Coroner, ShadyLamar and 2 others like this.
    NAES, Coroner, ShadyLamar and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. lyricsmode

lyricsmode heavy duty like diarrhea

Dec 16, 2017
    I hate when people say s--- like this, but it applies here

if any other artist released Relapse in 2009, it would have been a classic or considered d--- good.

edit, @KingZ i agree, I like MMLP2 and some of Recovery, but MMLP2 feels like he made a sequel to stan and was like “s--- gotta name it this now”

KingZ likes this.
    KingZ likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  15. Holy Water

Dec 16, 2017
    Listened to mmlp2 this morning to see how it stands out compared to revival. I have to say that mmlp2 is better produced, more cohesive and better sounding album overall. The main problem with revival is his voice and flow. Especially his voice. It has gotten lot worse since mmlp2.

Recovery
    Relapse
    Mmlp2
    Revival

Its been a decline :empalm:

NAES likes this.
    NAES likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  16. bucketkilla

Dec 16, 2017
    I was actually thinking something similar today.. Remember these lyrics?

"Every CD critics gave it a three, then three
    Years later, they'd go back and re-rate it
    And call the Slim Shady LP the greatest
    The Marshall Mathers was a classic
    The Eminem Show was fantastic
    But Encore just didn't have the caliber to match it
    I guess enough time just ain't passed, yet
    A couple more years, that s---'ll be ill-matic"

Now im not saying Encore is ever going to be classed as a classic but I certainly appreciate it more now than when it first came out... maybe the same will happen to Revival..

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. TheDarkView

Dec 16, 2017
    @Koolo Right now I really feel the rock songs on here. Remind Me, Heat and In My Head. My god these are great I love the flow and the hook and samples are so great. And the wordplay on Heat is beyond me.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  18. skitershady

Dec 16, 2017
    Wtf is happening here ? I thought everyone hated relapse lol

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Rodamon

Dec 16, 2017
    what is happening here is that Revival is so d--- bad, that it makes Encore and Relapse look good.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  20. Coroner

Dec 16, 2017
    Relapse is a consistent album regarding the subject, production and flow as well.

Subject:
    He went back to his original persona, saying the s--- that nobody would ever dare, he was over an addiction, depression, a near death experience, he had many things that he could get inspiration from. Ever since this album nothing really happened to him that could bring something new subject matter (expect for the current political state of America). All he did on his last three albums is chewing on the same old s---. If you just take a look at his singles after Relapse, all you can see is a recurring theme e.g. Won't Back Down, Survival, Rap God, Guts Over Fear, Phenomenal, Walk on Water.

Production:
    It was the period when we were waiting for the Detox album (for years by then). In my eyes Dre made up for his never released Detox album with this production. It is one of the best Eminem album in this regard (maybe The Eminem Show is the only one that over-shines it). After Relapse everything has changed, Recovery was the first experiment to use all kinds of producers, I think he should have just stick to his own team, but I know he didn't wanted to be that artist that does not evolve, so he he wanted to innovate. The production on Recovery and on his latest albums are good for live performance, but that's all, I prefer his consistent pre-Recovery formula. And f--- Rick Rubin and his unwanted old school rock samples; Bezerk is the only one that I like of such.

Flow:
    It was the last album where Em didn't overdo the lyrics, he composed sentences that made sense, and not just combine words just for the sake of rap nerdiness. I have no problem with the accent, it was suitable for the songs he used it on; 3 a.m., Stay Wide Awake and Music Box are one of my all time favorites. His voice was nice to listen to, I don't understand what happened to him ever since. On Recovery he started constantly screaming and on MMLP2 he combined it with a grumpy voice. In this angle Revival is an improvement since he tried to please every type of fan so he didn't overdo none of them. I'm not saying I hate his last 3 albums because of his voice, I'm just saying that's the reason why I prefer Relapse.

Furthermore it was a long awaited album after a long hiatus, for me it was a big impression that has not faded ever since.

NAES likes this.
    NAES likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024