Boxing/MMA Favorite Boxers?

Started by Charlie Work, Mar 12, 2015, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Mar 12, 2015
    Lewis v. Klitschko was the first fight I watched live. I was in the 3rd grade. Seeing Lennox destroy Vitali's face is something I will never forget. Didn't get into boxing for years. I'd been watching MMA pre-TUF since my father was big into it. Caught more K1 than I did boxing tbh. Here are a few guys I enjoy though.

Juan Manuel Marquez

Didn't even hit his stride until he was an old man. Got robbed with that draw in Pacquiao I. Throws the prettiest combinations in the game. I'm a sucker for technical fighters.

Ricardo Lopez

Retired undefeated, mostly because 105 didn't have s--- for him besides Alvarez. He was the blueprint for Marquez's style. Always had his hands up high, on his toes, and ready to rattle off combos. Had that wild uppercut/hook hybrid.

James Toney

Defensive beauty. Dipping and ripping. Couldn't condition of train to save his life, but his fight with Jirov showed it wasn't for a lack of heart. More so self control. Squandered his shot vs. RJJ but dude was just a pleasure to watch.

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 17, 2024
  2. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Mar 12, 2015
    Aside from Manny, Floyd and Mike Tyson:

Miguel Cotto

Bernard Hopkins

And I'm starting to watch more from Amir Khan. This was a great fight by him:

Charlie Work likes this.
    Charlie Work likes this.
    Apr 17, 2024
  3. Charlie Work

Mar 13, 2015
    Where do you rank Tyson at HW?
    Also, Khan is trying to get Broner for the Manny/Floyd undercard. Prolly a pipe dream tbh.

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 17, 2024
  4. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Mar 13, 2015
    I didn't know that, that would be great to watch.

The thing about Tyson is that his skills (I believe) were second to none. He was a 5'11" 220lbs, so he wasn't as tall as the heavyweights he was fighting, and he didn't have the reach, but his skills were far superior. He used to watch tapes of welterweights during his come up and try to emulate their moves. A lot of that showed. Had he not been so mentally weak, and had Don King not had the impact he had on him, I would say he would have gone down as the greatest.

But all things considered, I can't call him the GOAT based on skill alone. He's top 10 though.

He's personally my favourite fighter of all time though.

Charlie Work likes this.
    Charlie Work likes this.
    Apr 17, 2024
  5. Charlie Work

Mar 13, 2015
    The guy was great to watch. He transcended boxing an all. Had great technique for a heavyweight like you mentioned. Unmatched aggression. His record just doesn't stack up to guys from the 70s. "If" is a Tyson fan's favorite word for a reason. Mostly because he got fed cans like Kimbo Slice in a backyard.

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 17, 2024