Film Best Posts: FlickYouCrew (S.80 Edition)

1. Twan

Nov 28, 2014
    Sight and Sound's Top 20 films of 2014 (UK release dates, I presume)

1. Boyhood
    2. Goodbye To Language 3D
    3. Leviathan (tie)
    3. Horse Money (tie)
    5. Under The Skin
    6. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    7. Winter Sleep
    8. The Tribe
    9. Ida (tie)
    9. Jauja (tie)
    11. Mr. Turner (tie)
    11. National Gallery (tie)
    11. The Wolf Of Wall Street (tie)
    11. Whiplash (tie)
    15. The Duke Of Burgundy
    16. Birdman (tie)
    16. Two Days, One Night (tie)
    18. Citizenfour (tie)
    18. The Look Of Silence (tie)
    18. The Wind Rises (tie)

irbis, FilmAndWhisky and Charlie Work like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. irbis

Nov 25, 2014
    Hey, guys.
    I missed this place. Finally found my way here through SL reddit.

@Twan I love Force Majeure. Probably top 5 for me this year. Under the Skin is still my favourite and The Double, Winter Sleep, Mommy aren't that behind.

I also watched Interstellar. I like the movie alright but I really, really hope Nolan considers something smaller in scale next. The bigger they try to go, the less I start to care about their movies. Same goes for Tarantino as well and probably all the directors that get a big blockbuster after one or two indies. Nolan's movie is great at times, even brilliant in a few places. The thing is, it feels too loaded. Interstellar at least felt human thanks to some really strong performances (Matthew McConaughey and Jessica Chastain, especially). The Dark Knight Rises didn't even had that. It's probably my least favourite Nolan film, though I've yet to see Following. Anyways, I'll watch Interstellar on BluRay before I somewhat make up my mind.

Frank was a blast to watch. Both hilarious and heartbreaking. Didn't know Fassbender had something like this in him. Though it's not the most original, or even affecting ending of the year, I really love how this ended. I keep coming back to it, I even caught myself murmuring the I Love Your Wall song a couple times.

I watched Once Upon A Time in Anatolia for the third time. With my parents. They keep surprising me, to be honest. Plus I read a book about how the movie came to be. From the conception to wrapping up the shooting. Still my favourite Nuri Bilge Ceylan movie.

This Week:
    Life Itself - 6,5/10
    Frank - 8/10
    Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10
    Web Junkie - 5,5/10
    Lucy - 6/10

Lucy is interesting but generally a failure. But it has Scarlet Johansson, so it's still watchable. Plus it actually looks interesting and show promise at times. Could've been glorious though. Shame.

Web Junkie's subject is interesting but at 75 minutes, it still doesn't have enough substance in it. Maybe a 40 minute episode, I don't know.

Old_Parr, Twan and FilmAndWhisky like this.
    Old_Parr, Twan and FilmAndWhisky like this.
    Apr 25, 2024