Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Apr 14, 2017
    Rec some subtle symbolists and innovative formalists @Vahn

Apr 19, 2024
  2. Vahn

Vahn butterfly jewels beauty

Apr 14, 2017
    Kenji Mizoguchi the don.

coil, FilmAndWhisky and Charlie Work like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. FilmAndWhisky

Apr 15, 2017
    As much as @Vahn will smh, Kurosawa.

dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl and Vahn like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. lil uzi vert stan

Apr 20, 2017

Apr 19, 2024
  5. FilmAndWhisky

Apr 21, 2017
    • [​IMG]
      After the Last River 2015
      ★★★★½ Watched 19 Apr, 2017

Published at Aesthetics of the Mind:
      bit.ly/2oQnsDm

Vicki Lean’s heartbreaking documentary of suffering in Attawapiskat reveals the damaging impact on first nations livelihood of industry and government regulations ostensibly designed under concealed agendas. Her expository documentary requires little convincing, as Lean makes readily observable through first hand and archival footage just how desperate are the conditions facing the families here, most of whom struggle with sickness, poverty, house-crowding, and general despair.

Conditions are profoundly more deplorable when considering the lack of federal aid—even when under a state of emergency—and the obvious racial constructs which our nation’s governing bodies choose to hold onto, in spite of the obvious ethical ramifications of their actions.

Tie this in with how media, political campaigning, and social image manufacturing may brush the ‘problem’ under the rug, and we have ourselves a truly hegemonic capital parading as good guy leaders we ought to trust and follow. This is a system designed to keep people down, and Attawapiskat serves only as a microcosm for the imperceptible damage across the nation being caused by this unassuming hegemony fueled by greed and corruption.

It’s unfortunate, to say the least, that we need films like these—genuine, ungreenwashed documentaries—to raise awareness about things which ought not only to be public information but public concern. That we don’t talk about these issues or teach them in our high schools is regrettable, as it may only be through such dialogues that we may open the blinders of the average media-influenced citizen in order to change the status quo of our ill-conceived nation and the hypocrisies which corporate and government alike undertake.

Thank you to the makers of this film, to the people of Attawapiskat, and to the few socially and environmentally conscious government officials who are trying to make a difference.

If you live in Canada, go see this film.

85/100 – Excellent.

No likes

• [​IMG]
      Sarah Winchester, Phantom Opera 2016
      ★★★½ Watched 17 Apr, 2017

Unique af.

A historical ballet ghost story within a story fictional documentary w/ liner notes and haunting sounds.

75/100 - Very Good

No likes

• [​IMG]
      Grandma’s Encyclopaedia 1963
      ★★★ Watched 17 Apr, 2017

Animation & photography almost ascetic in its sparsity. unsubstantial beyond this minor intrigue.

71/100 - Good.

No likes

• [​IMG]
      The Concert 1962
      ★★½ Watched 17 Apr, 2017

Mad animation requiring didactic information to piece its absurd and abstractly presented themes.

63/100

No likes

• [​IMG]
      Song to Song 2017
      ★★★★★ Watched 13 Apr, 2017

What can I say about this film which would do it justice?

This is pure cinema. It simply needs to be seen.

99/100 - Masterful.

1 like

• [​IMG]
      The Lost City of Z 2016
      ★★★★★ Watched 12 Apr, 2017

bit.ly/2p1xcLA

Is Less Truly More? James Gray’s Lost City of Z: A Masterpiece of More Cinema.

Saw this at a press screening last week and I still don’t know what to make of it exactly. I marveled at its scope and ambition, the brilliant match cuts, the striking cinematography by Darius Khondji, and its naked honesty in revealing human emotions, relations, and flaws. Like all of Gray’s films, Z picks apart the human condition while foisting it upon unassuming action. The subtext runs deeper in this film than perhaps anything before in his filmography, and yet it is perhaps the film’s multi-faceted framework which causes a certain disconnect between Gray’s inherent truth seeking and the viewer’s capacity to realize this truth. It’s like a diamond in the rough whose brightness will be reveled only by those willing to dig deep.

Bluntly stated, The Lost City of Z is James Gray working in a far more opaque, subtle, and provocative manner. His previous films, beginning with Little Odessa–a heartfelt tragedy with narrow scope but much emotional depth–take place in New York and focus inwards on very particular happenings to very particular people whom the audience comes to empathize with. Driving human emotion with consequence is Gray’s signature move, and while this is more subdued in Z, it is certainly present.

The Lost City of Z conveys much more drama, much more plot, and quite simply has much more to offer than any of Gray’s previous films. There are more characters and perspectives, a wider narrative, and many interests—from the political to the psychological to the historical, social, and beyond. This is at once a blessing and a curse. Some would argue, using perhaps Bresson or Mizoguchi or even early Gray as examples, that simplicity is a filmmaker’s finest virtue. And yet here we have a magnificent epic, one which holds so many ideas within its two and a half hour runtime that it will surely open itself to criticism sheerly for its lack of simplicity.

Less is more perhaps only because less leaves little to critique.

This is Gray’s The Thin Red Line. For James Gray, The Lost City of Z is more; there is more here to critique but also more here to acclaim. There is more to discuss with this adaptation of true events than there is with his poetic New York elegies, but through discussion perhaps we as viewers can realize that inherent truth of the human condition which Gray imbues all his films with.

I am going to need to see this a few more times, but to me it’s already a masterpiece and can only move up from here.

90/100 – Amazing.

No likes

• [​IMG]
      Safe 1995
      ★★★★½ Watched 09 Apr, 2017

Julianne Moore is exquisite as the soft spoken victim of 20th century malaise in Todd Haynes meticulously crafted psycho-thriller.

87/100 - Excellent.

Charlie Work, Pinhead, Twan and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Charlie Work

Apr 23, 2017
    I saw that you logged The Ice Storm. Thoughts? @Twan

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Twan

Apr 23, 2017
    Unfortunately, I really don't have anything insightful to share, but I did like it a lot. While I don't think it hit me quite as hard, it's easily my favorite Ang Lee film and certainly miles above s--- like American Beauty. Lee weaves the multiple character strands rather seamlessly, including how the struggles of the parents mirror those of their children. Also appreciated how, for the most part, the film's central conflicts stay firmly on the side of ordinary without overreaching into anything more overtly dramatic (I'm a little mixed on the late act conclusion of the ice storm itself), thus allowing its mood and its nuanced take on the nuclear family to carry it. Strong stuff overall :emoji_thumbsup:

Apr 19, 2024
  8. Vahn

Apr 26, 2017
    We lost a god today

Twan likes this.
    Twan likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Pinhead

Apr 26, 2017
    R.I.P. :emoji_slight_frown: was planning on running through him soon, Philadelphia is really good and that JT concert is incredible.

Apr 19, 2024
  10. Charlie Work

Apr 27, 2017
    Paterson is a good movie, but man, I didn't like it at all.

Apr 19, 2024
  11. Vahn

May 1, 2017
    He's the GOAT.

Something Wild
    Married to the Mob
    Rachel Getting Married
    Swing Shift
    Who Am I This Time?

:sweatt:

Looking to run through his 70s work soon.

Twan, Pinhead and lil uzi vert stan like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Swizz

May 1, 2017
    yeah I hated it lol

Apr 19, 2024
  13. FilmAndWhisky

May 1, 2017
    Had some troubles with Wings of Desire. Would love to hear feedback from some of you... @Twan @Vahn @Woody

• [​IMG]
      Wings of Desire 1987
      ★★★ Watched 30 Apr, 2017

bit.ly/2oZHfgv

Although Wenders’ film is masterfully crafted, with some absolutely glorious camera movements, use of light, black and white, and colour, the script reeks of pretense. Wender’s narrative, well intentioned as may be, is too self serious to convey fantasy, yet too imaginative to convey philosophy. Besides its religious overtones and pomp, elements of spirituality are presented as absolutes, and done so through a patronizing narrative which insults the viewer’s capacity to imagine a world any different from that which is presented. The narrative is surreal, the themes heavy-handed, and yet it glories at reveling before certain truths of the human condition which are recounted rather than artfully conveyed.

Beneath the surface, admittedly, is something beautiful about the human spirit and existing in a troubling world. But to reach beneath the surface requires quite a great suspension of disbelief, as the narrative fails in sharing truth, the poetry fails in sharing depth, and the philosophy fails in sharing meaning.

What this film does best is gesture at something spiritually significant which the viewer inherently understands and thus conjures on their own. And for this reason its viewing will be remembered with pleasure in spite of its failures. We believe the film had that power, but really it was us who had that power.

It is an impressive film in many rights but to call it a masterpiece on its own rights is a major misstep in film history.

72/100 – Good.

No likes

• [​IMG]
      Alpha Dog 2006
      ★★★ Watched 29 Apr, 2017

Boasting an exciting cast and provocative script, it's easy to enjoy watching the irrational stoners in this poorly crafted B-flick. I don't think I've ever noticed worse continuity editing, but I don't really care too much since the film leaves a deep impression.

70/100 - Good.

No likes

• [​IMG]
      Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016
      ★★★ Watched 27 Apr, 2017

Unlike the throwback fan-film Force Awakens, Rogue One is an exciting and original Star Wars story which runs parallel and thus expands the world. Unfortunately, its clumsy narrative and awkward scenes of dialogue prevent it from reaching the heights of former achievements.

74/100 - Good.

Apr 19, 2024
  14. Charlie Work

May 1, 2017
    Wings of Desire wasn't everything it was hyped up to be for me. Still interested in his other work.

I disagree that Rogue One expands the world. It's working within a pre-existing gap that was formerly left to a credits crawl to explain. That's closer to fan fiction than expansion imo. h---, the final set might as well be the Death Star again, especially since the interior is remarkably similar.

Apr 19, 2024
  15. FilmAndWhisky

May 1, 2017
    I see what you mean, but I still think it expands the world in regards to how it expands our knowledge of those gaps, the characters within them, alternate lives and things happening in other areas of the universe, etc. It is certainly a lot of fan fiction, too, though, so you're not wrong.

Charlie Work likes this.
    Charlie Work likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  16. Twan

May 1, 2017
    To be honest, it's been some years since I've last seen it, so I don't recall it well enough to articulate much of a defense. I just remember feeling quite transported by its mood, gliding camera movement and its striking black and white imagery.

While we are sharing movies that didn't work for us, I'll add that The Lost City of Z really underwhelmed me...easily my least favorite from James Gray.

Charlie Work and Pinhead like this.
    Charlie Work and Pinhead like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Charlie Work

May 1, 2017
    I mean, I haven't even seen it. I watched it with the sound off to a humorous commentary. I just know the plot points because Star Wars is basically inescapable these days. So while I can't judge the narrative, despite having heard negative things about it, I maintain that the story is unnecessary pedantry because Disney is still afraid to move away from the established canon. I'm not sure how much you even can without losing the essence of Star Wars, which is really just based around some specific iconography. Besides that, it's a hyper generalized framework and cool, fun adventures. Never was a big fan truth be told.

I will say it did look quite pretty. That opening scene in the field was beautiful.

Apr 19, 2024
  18. FilmAndWhisky

May 2, 2017
    Fair enough.

Also, sad :emoji_slight_frown: It is also probably my least favourite from Gray, but I still hold it in very high regard. Sadly it hasn't lingered with me too well and I'm not sure how I'll feel after a second viewing.

Twan likes this.
    Twan likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. FilmAndWhisky

May 2, 2017
    True enough but if you compare this to, say, Force Awakens, it is actually like a whole new story with its own set of everything. What works for most people is how significantly distinct it is from Star Wars in spite of its iconography.

Apr 19, 2024
  20. Charlie Work

May 2, 2017
    I actually really enjoyed the first half of The Force Awakens. Then it retread a bunch of familiar territory which just came off as cynical. At least the characters were there. The main gripe I've heard about Rogue One is that the characters are s---. Probably why I was disinterested in seeing it.

Apr 19, 2024