Gaming Games You Bought Brand New That You Regretted Purchasing?

Started by Sign Language, Feb 28, 2021, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. RetiredAccount

RetiredAccount Big Time Stuntin Like My Daddy

Mar 1, 2021
    Yeah, this series really went downhill as they tried to give it wider appeal. They made it bland and repetitive.

Ordinary Joel and Sign Language like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. RetiredAccount

Mar 1, 2021
    I haven't played RBI, but I play 2K every day lol, mostly for the simulation aspect. Usually how I unwind at night. Haven't played PGA this year, but all my friends from the golf course who are super into golf said it s----d.

Apr 18, 2024
  3. RetiredAccount

Mar 1, 2021
    @Captain Awesome AKA Papa have you played OOTP? Much more my speed for a baseball game. I'm way more into Sports games as management sims than as playing sims

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  4. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Mar 1, 2021
    Totally agree. 2 built upon 1 and made great improvements. Seemed like SE wanted to make the series one of their main ones but the fanbase was always too niche for that imo.

Ordinary Joel and RetiredAccount like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  5. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 1, 2021
    i havent but i think @WPG has

tbh ive never played game as management but i rly like the idea + want to. once my current rbi20 season wraps, i might recreate an old orioles dynasty OR create a fresh franchise idk.

Ordinary Joel and JEB like this.
    Ordinary Joel and JEB like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  6. RetiredAccount

Mar 1, 2021

I slowly got into the sports management aspect of games over the past few years. A Game like NBA2K or whatever isn't as fun solo unless you're doing the management stuff imo. It's better as a social thing.
    But yeah, if you want a good baseball management/coaching sim get OOTP.

Apr 18, 2024
  7. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 1, 2021
    ya i also would be into doing a league w other folk, make it more interactive. we'll see. i got tired of fantasy after a few seasons honestly.

Ordinary Joel and RetiredAccount like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  8. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Mar 1, 2021
    highly recommend ootp!! the management angle is super fun. you can of course go into each game and make decisions pitch-by-pitch, but i usually let each day’s game sim and play as a manager/gm hybrid, so that i’m setting lineups but also worrying about the rule 5 draft etc

Apr 18, 2024
  9. RetiredAccount

Mar 1, 2021
    There are some other forums on the web that run big simulation leagues where one guy runs the league and everyone has a team and tells him what to do for their team and simulates it out and such. I was thinking about starting something like that on here with basketball but I wasn't sure the interest. A baseball one would be really fun. The only thing with doing that is that you have to have people be very active so you can do trades and stuff. As for pacing, usually these leagues simulate one week every day for NBA, NHL, and MLB stuff.

Apr 18, 2024
  10. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 1, 2021
    Thought 5 was way better than 4 but nowhere near as good as 3. At least the setting in 5 was cool. Definitely one of those games that's open world for no reason. 3 had a good balance of letting you explore but was a pretty linear story. God of War 2018 did a good job with that too.

Bought this on sale for like $10 over the summer but I very much agree so far, seems like another case of a game that is open world for no reason. I only played like an hour of it but it was really dull and I've yet to be able to make myself go back to it.

Apr 18, 2024
  11. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 1, 2021
    if u got critical mass, i would do MLB. i have advanced knowledge of the twins system rn so wielding that against @WPG would be fun!! :)

Ordinary Joel, WPG and RetiredAccount like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  12. RetiredAccount

Mar 1, 2021
    5's location was cool, and the idea of the story was great, but as far as the actual execution, 4 had a way better story. Agreed on GOW!

and yeah, Watch Dogs is just super dull. You can tell they tried really hard to make it a "modern day AC with tech" but that type of gameplay would be way better suited for linear storylines. Honestly, I think open levels would have been better, ala the Hitman trilogy. One small setting fleshed out with a ton of ways to approach and lots of detail would be a great hacking game.

Apr 18, 2024
  13. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 1, 2021
    Are you not a big survival horror fan? I didn't love Days Gone but I had fun with it—I thought the motorcycle mechanic was dope and it takes place in the pacific northwest so I'm always a sucker for that. With those types of games if you're looking for run and gun you're gonna be disappointed cuz the key is to get creative and use alternate methods like stealth or causing a distraction elsewhere to get them to congregate somewhere else while you rush in.

Apr 18, 2024
  14. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 1, 2021
    I bought the game because of the open world and zombie scenario since I enjoyed games like The Last Of Us and Dying Light. At first I really liked it too. As you said the motorcycle mechanics and the ambient world were pretty dope and I got a lot of s--- done. Then I came into this little town and I don't remember exactly which task it was but I wanted to do something there. And the whole town was just full of zombies and your guns are pretty much useless. I hade to hide in a trash container every 20 seconds and no matter what I did, there were always zombies chasing me, because of the sheer mass. I got so frustrated and haven't played the game since lol. Maybe I was just too impatient and should have unlocked better gear or something.

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  15. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 1, 2021
    Also definitely Fallout 4. That was one of the first major game releases during SXN80's tenure and it's funny looking back at how excited everyone was and then how disappointing it was. So buggy and they simplified that series way too much.

Apr 18, 2024
  16. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 1, 2021
    Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. There are some places that are virtually impossible to clear without upgraded gear/new items/progressing the story and I think that's mostly by design.

Should I play Dying Light? I don't know much about it

Apr 18, 2024
  17. Sign Language

Mar 1, 2021
    What made 5 way better than 4 in your opinion? Imo the environment in 4 looked cooler and had cooler encounters (worrying about a rhino tipping your car over while driving down the road). I will say that 5 had a better justification for your character being a badass but the whole fighting Branch Dividians thing got kinda old. I also think that 4 had better base/fortress infiltration. Pagan Min was pretty cartoonish though, ngl.

Apr 18, 2024
  18. Sign Language

Mar 1, 2021
    IOI doesn't get enough credit for their game design and execution. Definitely a top 5 studio right now imo.

Apr 18, 2024
  19. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Mar 1, 2021
    Yeah definitely do. It's basically a parkour game so climbing, running and fast combat is the main factor of the game. The scenario is pretty dope too. In the middle of the city is a large tower where the human survivors live. From there you get missions to branch out into the surrounding city and do specific tasks. In the nighttime the zombies are way more aggressive and a more ruthless and faster species will appear, so doing missions during night is f---ing scary (atleast at the beginning). There is also a crafting system to build some crazy weapons, so you will get OP eventually at normal difficulty.

Apr 18, 2024
  20. Sign Language

Mar 1, 2021
    Yes! The game is what Dead Island was supposed to be. Really nailed the feeling of being alone in a city full of zombies. Not to mention that they actually make "don't be outside at night" mean something. Not a groundbreaking game by any means but if you like zombie games with some excitement then I'd recommend it.

Apr 18, 2024