Has 2016 Had An Overwhelming Amount of Projects? [DISCUSSION]

Started by Jacuzzi, Dec 4, 2016, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Jacuzzi

Dec 4, 2016
    So this might get buried, but I'm hoping to get some discussion going here. 2016 has had a crazy amount of releases from big artists. While I think many of the releases has been underwhelming (almost the majority), can't we (I) thinking that, be a result of the amount of releases? I think some albums might actually have been more respected and publicly & critically acclaimed if the pool of releases was smaller. Some of artists I've grown to be very fond either many years ago, or recently, have dropped albums which have just slipped out of my mind as new music just keeps coming.

Would you agree with this? Have projects of 2016 just generally been disappointing? Or have the amount of new music partially given us a ''play and toss'' mentality where we don't sit well enough with new projects, and too quickly return to recent great drops we found better, or stay too hyped for upcoming releases? Or should I do a Feel No Wayz and KMS?
    Discuss my fam.

I've put some releases from this year that are relevant to this in the spiler below. Don't get caught up in this, it's just to add some context. They're not in order, it looks messy, and some havent dropped.
    Hotel Paranoia, The Life of Pablo, Views, 3001: A Laced Odyssey, Always Strive and Prosper, Cozy Tapes Vol 1: Friends, Malibu, Yes Lawd, All-American Trash, American Boyfriend, Coloring Book, ''Awaken, My Love'', MONDA, Big Baby D.R.A.M., Atrocity Exhibition, Bottomless Pit, Imperial, New English, Blonde, EVOL, Purple Reign, Free Bricks EP, Project E.T., Streets of Compton, 1992, The Sun's Tirade, Blonde, The Colour In Everything, A Moon Shaped Pool, The Impossible Kid, Untitled Unmastered, Lil Boat, Summer Songs 2, Bobby Tarantino, The Divine Feminine, The Persona Tape, DC4, The Healing Component, Telefone, P3, August 26, Sremmlife 2, Waking at Dawn, DVSN, Bucket List Project, Blank Face LP, Us Or Else, I Told You, Birds In The Trap Sing McKnight, We Got It From Here Thank You 4 Your Service, Campaign, It Happened In Flatbush, There's A Lot Going On, Prima Donna EP, Starboy, Still Brazy, Red Friday, I'm Up, Jeffery, Slime Season 3, Free 6Lack, Savage Mode, More Life, 4 Your Eyez Only, Passion Pain & Demon Slayin....

Not saying eveyone would care or know about all of these, but these are all projects from artists I'm interested in, and this is a lot of f---ing projects.

Apr 18, 2024
  2. Djaji Prime

Dec 4, 2016
    This year has felt unusually long for me. But on this topic, I feel that it maybe more of people trying to keep up with every single release, rather than it being a case of too many projects being released.

Being that I review projects, sometimes I do find myself getting lost in this, but during the dry periods, or when I'm just relaxing, I go back and re-discover projects.

For me personally I don't see it as a big problem, as I go back and listen to projects from time to time, and also put my fav songs off albums on to a playlist, so I'm reminded ohfprojects and can go back and listen to them.

Question to OP tho, do you listen to new releases cos you feel obligated to, or because you're interested in the artist? :hmmmmm:

Ordinary Joel and Jacuzzi like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  3. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Dec 4, 2016
    I kind of agree, the projects which I've enjoyed the most this year were the ones which felt special and weren't simply thrown into the big pool of album releases (e.g. Blonde and smaller releases in general). That doesn't necessarily mean that the huge releases weren't great, but they've been -- as whole projects -- quickly replaced with new (better?) stuff quickly during the daily rotation. The good songs however then stayed for longer time.

In the end, 2016 rather feels like the year of (partly extremely) great songs than the year of dozens of A1 albums.

Apr 18, 2024
  4. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Dec 4, 2016
    featured, this topic is good

Apr 18, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 4, 2016
    Yeah agree.

But I'm happy with it. Goes for both rap and non rap btw

Ordinary Joel, Jacuzzi and TrillBill like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Jacuzzi and TrillBill like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  6. Jacuzzi

Dec 4, 2016
    This is a tough one. I love music, I love discovering new artists, and also love hearing what artists I follow have to offer next. BUT, I may have a slight ''problem'' that I think some might recognize themselves in (partly why I made TT) - trying to keep up with everything. I have favourte arists, artists I like way more than others, but I'll be just as quick to grab their project as I grab an up-and-comer that dropped two hot singles on soundcloud. Me following so many artists definitely affects this, but I also think that's a problem overall. I want to listen, but as you say, I may also feel slightly obliged as I don't want to fall behind. (Though I'd say that starts another topic)

But - 2016 hasn't been your usual year. Many big artists that hiphop enthusiasts know and love, that have taken years of breaks or are moving onto their debuts, have dropped this year. My music interest is probably at my highest, but I can't think back to the last year where there was just so much dropping.
    f---ing A Tribe Called Quest dropped an album this year.

Apr 18, 2024
  7. Rodamon

Dec 4, 2016
    I agree. I just couldnt keep up with the releases. So many I downloaded and didnt listen yet.

Apr 18, 2024
  8. Jacuzzi

Dec 4, 2016
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely happy. I don't sit and think ''oh f--- sake, another album''. But I think it might hurt the artists, as some might give their projects the attention they usually would. And even the listener, as I think some also might have ''missed out'' on projects they have listened to, due to again, not giving it enough attention. It could potentially be a project they'd love, or even just like a little more than they did like it or hate it.

Apr 18, 2024
  9. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Dec 4, 2016
    Didn't we wish though for this huge amount of album releases to happen ever since 2015 was slightly underwhelming?

Apr 18, 2024
  10. Rodamon

Dec 4, 2016
    a middle point is possible

Apr 18, 2024
  11. Jacuzzi

Dec 4, 2016
    This.

There is a point between too little and too much, but of course, it's totally out of our control. I didn't mind 2015 myself, I think 2014 is a better example of too little, 2016 too much, and 2015 maybe a better middle point. 2017 definitely won't be a year of too much, I don't see that happening, there'll be exceptions of course, but I think it will be a pretty dry year. Maybe for the better? Hard to say.

Ordinary Joel and Jordan like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Jordan like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  12. Djaji Prime

Dec 4, 2016

I like that there was a lot of competition, and it reflects just how many artists are in the game.

Will definitely say though, there was something for everyone.

Apr 18, 2024
  13. kidkuro

kidkuro local black man

Dec 4, 2016
    I feel like many artists are beginning to go the route of shoving music down our throats constantly mainly because of how fast-paced our society is.

Apr 18, 2024
  14. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Dec 4, 2016
    2017 might be the year of surprise releases though? A few of the the bigger artists have been cooking something for a while (kinda announced or un-announced).

Anyway, a few artists have already decided their album to release their album next year instead of this one. In order words, we'll surely have something to enjoy, possibly less regular though.

Apr 18, 2024
  15. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Dec 4, 2016
    looking forward to the new XX album on January 13th :jr:

Apr 18, 2024
  16. Jacuzzi

Dec 4, 2016
    ''Dry'' probably not the most fitting term I could've used. There will without a doubt be projects to enjoy, surprises too. I think some of the bigger artists that dropped this year might be making 2017 a ''break year'' like we know ScHoolboy Q will, but dropping two years in a row isn't unthinkable for everyone. So we're surely in for some surprises.

I'm making the bold prediction that 2017 will be the year of Outkast. Either solo's from both or a comeback project. 3 Stacks been too active this year.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  17. python

python in the nighttime

Dec 4, 2016
    I feel like 2016 was mostly quantity over quality. There have been a ton of good and even great projects released this year, but not a lot that I think will really stick with me.

Apr 18, 2024
  18. Caslon

Caslon covered n moe

Dec 4, 2016
    idk 2015 was bigger

Apr 18, 2024
  19. Jordan

Jordan ⛴⛵️✈️

Dec 4, 2016
    true

Apr 18, 2024
  20. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Dec 4, 2016
    I feel like I've checked out more albums on their day of release/leak compared to last year where I'd only check them out after the fact.

I dunno I think more big name albums came out this year and as a result the media has been in overdrive to cover them.

Jacuzzi likes this.
    Jacuzzi likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024