Heat Check (Mos Def - The Ecstatic)

Started by Enez, Apr 8, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Apr 29, 2019
    I'm a man of my word when I say it's Mixtape Monday. This week's tape is unsurprisingly Wiz Khalifa's Kush & Orange Juice.

[​IMG]

What the h--- can I put here that hasn't been said. Kush & OJ is the best project Wiz ever released besides Cabin Fever, one of the best mixtapes ever, and a 4/20 classic. This wasn't my first Wiz project I listened to, but it was the first to really stand out. Another year and this s--- will be 10 years old.

Apr 26, 2024
  2. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Apr 29, 2019
    I'll do my usual round-up, great job as usual with the picks

- imma check out the Lurch album, still can't believe he did what he did tho....

- RZA always gonna have a legendary place for all hi contributions, Bobby Digital is at least interesting and out of the ordinary. It is a mess though, him as a solo act just doesn't work as I would have liked, that stupid thing he does of cramming as many words into his bars gets annoying after awhile. There are some gems but hey it's still worth a listen if you're a mighty Wu fan.

- Dom Kennedy been another long-time favorite of mine, he's remained under the radar after that buzz he had in the beginning of that wave of mixtapes. He's got this super laid back flow and the right beat selections to compliment it. Get Home Safely is probably his most frigid cool work, it's sequenced quite nicely but I feel like his better projects (From Westside With Love & Yellow Album) had more captivating songs. Still it's another solid project in his rather overlooked discography.

- Ah man great choice, I haven't heard this in awhile! Busta looked destined for more, no one can deny he's a fun talented rapper, except he just never found the way to deliver the same kind of energy he did on his hits & features into his albums. ELE was definitely the closest he's ever come to a classic album, great production and he was inspired on this. I guess my one complaint is that it does feel like it runs for a long time, production can be dated depending on your tastes but I personally don't mind it.

Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

May 7, 2019
    I've been sleep...
    :wow5:

Next album is Mos Def's Ecstatic.

[​IMG]

Oh s---, brb I haven't listened to this in ages.... besides that booming Supermagic track.

Discuss anyway.

Apr 26, 2024
  4. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

May 7, 2019
    I'm a huge Mos Def Stan, his career has it's highs and lows, the Ecstatic is certainly one of those highs. This was an album were he was 100% focused and inspired, probably because the production of this is off the chains; No rap track sounds like Supermagic, no song has ever hypnotized me like Auditorium (for that matter all of those Madlib beats are magnificent) nor has their been anything as cool & groovy as Casa Bey. Its a truly awesome album from a truly awesome rapper,

Enez, Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Enez, Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

May 7, 2019
    For years I championed this as Mos' best album, and on some days I do still believe that.

Can't believe we're a month away from it's 10th year anniversary!

I'll never forget the first time I heard Auditorium. :allears:

Fire Squad, Enez, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Fire Squad, Enez, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

May 8, 2019
    Mos Def is top 10 rapper of all time. Whole project is great, issa shame it's his last good one, because that Dec 99th album was pretty yuck, at least for me.

Supermagic, Quiet Dog Bites Hard, Revelations and Life In Marvelous Times are my fav songs of it.

Fire Squad, Enez and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Fire Squad, Enez and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 26, 2024