Apr 19, 2024
  2. asvdawg

Dec 13, 2019

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. UnoDeuce

Dec 13, 2019
    People come here because of Eminem and Kendrick. Plain and simple. Make some steps to pump some life into Kanye/Frank/Tyler etc. sections and advertise (if this site even does ads, I admittedly haven’t been on here in years until the recent Em/Nick stuff) those. The biggest hip hop forum that isn’t reddit, which is KTT, is dying fast because members broke off and went to another site. The artist specific sections on reddit s---...the Eminem subreddit is people that will only ever listen to Eminem. Same with Frank/Kanye/Kendrick subreddits to some extent.

There is a big need for a forum like this right now, especially considering the rising popularity in different subgenres under hip hop, capitalize on that! There’s nothing about this site that I would specifically change really; it’s the best forum I go on as far as design and userbase goes. Put posts out on the hiphopheads subreddit, talk about how it’s a self-started hip hop forum and tell a bit about the history. People will eat it up, and this type of forum isn’t really a competitor to a forum like that. Completely different set ups, voting, etc.

I also think you should aim pretty d--- high, the ceiling of this forum is up there...this isn’t some corner of the internet that nobody knows about.
    also, keep in mind that most of the time, big changes bring out the worst in some users. You will get s--- on for any major changes you make to the forum and that DOES NOT mean you shouldn’t make them. It means that you should consider them and pull the trigger on carrying out the ideas when you feel like you’re doing the correct thing. And there’s nothing wrong with suggesting it to the userbase and tagging us...if you wanna do something big, bring a lot of users on here, make a change for this forum that you think is the best, there’s nothing wrong with tagging us all and asking for input; there’s also nothing wrong with doing it yourself and watching the response.

also, if it matters at all, feel free to PM me any time with ideas. I’m big into marketing and hip hop, I’d love to be able to help this forum in any way possible.
    Keep working, king @Slyk

Apr 19, 2024
  4. Tom Brady

Tom Brady "I'm a pretty good winner."

Dec 13, 2019
    I don’t really know you, but if anyone is saying you don’t put work into the forum they’re a moron. I see you

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 13, 2019
    I would love to do a mockup for SXN80's homepage lol

Slyk and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Slyk and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Dec 13, 2019
    [​IMG]

Apr 19, 2024
  7. attila

Dec 14, 2019
    2.0 for old time sake

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. BART

BART BANNED

Dec 14, 2019
    just be honest about the huge eminem base on here and capitalize off it.

Apr 19, 2024
  9. marshmallow

Dec 14, 2019
    Did you even read what he wrote?

JEB and Ordinary Joel like this.
    JEB and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 14, 2019

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. hanky

Dec 14, 2019
    You’re doing great little buddy. Keep it up.

Slyk likes this.
    Slyk likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. IDKENGLISH

Dec 14, 2019

Slyk and aleeex1923 like this.
    Slyk and aleeex1923 like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. Zeugma

Zeugma thugger thugger my brother

Dec 14, 2019
    bring back negging & repping! not only like/dislike, that's bland as h---, but anonymous negs and reps with comments like SL provided.
    I also liked that there were "levels" to that. koolo negging you really hurt your reputation score, while a newbie had close to no points to give or take. it was quite weird and unfair but made people want to stay!
    also big a--- avatars were cool
    idk, these are not fresh ideas but I really liked SL

CARNIFEX, Guma, Ordinary Joel and 3 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Zeugma

Dec 14, 2019
    I agree with the rest of your post man but i don't know about this. Unfairness and clans were part of the fun back in the days imo. s--- looked like childhood, I loved it. plus it's the internet, who really cares about losing and gaining virtual points lol. and don't worry, the sav standfields of this world will always be recognized and liked for the quality and honesty of their posts

Apr 19, 2024
  15. THE LAST DANCE

Dec 14, 2019
    2.0 - the best thing that has happened to this forum since the time of the SL.

Apr 19, 2024
  16. THE LAST DANCE

Dec 14, 2019
    3.0 officially flop
    :thankful:

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Bojack

Dec 14, 2019
    Yeah I get that I personally dont have a problem with it either way I just wrote that thinking that the community needs help to grow again and I dont want this to be something that will discourage new members to post more. You know some people take internet points serious lol

Buddha and Zeugma like this.
    Buddha and Zeugma like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  18. Zeugma

Dec 14, 2019
    we don't need to try to look like KTT or reddit
    D12world/SL/S80 had its own identity and eminem and negativity were huge parts of it, whether you like it or not
    doesn't mean we can't evolve and try new things obviously!

just my two cents. but it's the only music forum i've ever been on you know! i'm loyal as a dog

Slyk, Guma, Ordinary Joel and 3 others like this.
    Slyk, Guma, Ordinary Joel and 3 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Sav Stanfield

Dec 14, 2019
    first off, @Slyk doesn't get the appreciation he deserves for singlehandedly keeping this site alive. Major f---ing props. In addition to the fact that its just second nature for me to visit S80 now, the perfect design/layout and ease of use is what keeps me coming back.

Second, I don't think negging/dislikes are conducive to building the site. I guess a points/levels system could work but don't know how helpful that would be right now.

The Eminem problem is a serious one. People don't want to discuss hip hop in a Stan haven, it absolutely scares off potential new members. I mean something like 6 artists dropped major, exciting projects yesterday but the homepage is still 95% Eminem threads. There isn't even a thread for the new Kaytranada album. But thats not really a fault of our userbase, thats more a problem of not having enough users I think. I 100% agree that condensing them into a single 'Eminem discussion thread' would be much much better but I'd be concerned about stifling any new activity with how slow the activity is right now.

Agreed about attracting new fanbases but we are much better off without separating into sections again. With the rate music is released these days we'd be better off targeting a more broad hip hop fanbase rather than specific artists. Plus as we already know, specific artist fanbases can get toxic and discourage new members. Do we really want 100 new die-hard Post Malone stans taking over the site?

Unless you have some kind of hook to draw people to the site (e.g. Leakthis has leaks, KTT used Kanye) then people prefer using Discord, Twitter, IG, Reddit, YT, etc. We had Eminem as a hook (and while they lasted - Koolo's legendary leaks) but long periods of inactivity and an increasingly insular fanbase has made Eminem much less effective. Kendrick's a great idea in principle but I don't think he's big or active enough to carry the forum.

I could be entirely wrong but from my perspective the key is somehow capturing the real-time news, leaks, singles, etc that Discord, Twitter, Reddit etc. does and focusing the discussion around that. In terms of marketing or getting the word out there I think the idea of an active FB Page (don't we already have one? or several?) and a Twitter/IG account could definitely work. Would need someone with the time and will to run them though.

Ricky, Ordinary Joel, Enigma and 4 others like this.
    Ricky, Ordinary Joel, Enigma and 4 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  20. ItsPwizz

ItsPwizz PlayWryte

Dec 14, 2019
    My only complaint which isn’t really one is, like mentioned above is I miss being able to click on a thread and automatically being brought to the most recent page of new posts. Now every time we click on a thread that’s like 1,000+ pages it brings it to the first page. Other than that I’m happy with it. This place is like home that I check in everyday. I wish I had signed up sooner instead of just reading everything as a non member for years. But the last couple of years as a actual member here has been fun, entertaining and a good place for discussion. The only other thing I can think of is I wish there was a way to make the creative section more alive. A lot of members on here who are trying to promote their work and get feedback on it just doesn’t have the audience or people who care to give it a shot.

Slyk, rapmusik, Ordinary Joel and 3 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.