Kanye West I put this on kanyeleaks but thought I'd share on here

Started by Scottishdan, Jan 21, 2018, in Kanye West Add to Reading List

1. Scottishdan

Jan 22, 2018
    not at all... explain why all vinyl sounds different to digital or CD then please for instance MBDTF vinyl sounds 10000% times better converted to digital compared to iTunes and CD... do your own comparisons then tell me that...

yeah no problem I am very much against it and actually if you click my avy has the stop over the sign but I know it's hard when its small.

basically alot quieter and drums are more refined IMO but you can do your own comparisons every ones hearing is different.

Apr 24, 2024
  2. SpursandGermany100

SpursandGermany100 DMX is a G.O.A.T

Jan 22, 2018
    Alright :) perfect

Sqrt Sqrt likes this.
    Sqrt Sqrt likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. SomeRandomNob

Jan 22, 2018
    You're not entirely right, If it's made digitally and released on FLAC or a lossless format then it will be the same as the analog. But Yeezus was only released digitally on CD and streaming platforms at a max of 320kbps, so the analog rip should hopefully be from the source and not from a compressed digital format. There's a good chance there's a real difference between the analog and digital, but idk if anyone's confirmed it yet via spectrograph.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. Scottishdan

Jan 22, 2018
    CDs are flac and tidal is flac on hifi subscription and tidal is from the master and plus the iTunes mastering is different than tidal and CD this has been proven also the cassette is official from Def Jam from the master... open this version in audacity and then the CD or retail flac... you will see a clear difference

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. SomeRandomNob

Jan 22, 2018
    Okay I went ahead and checked it out, at first I was agreeing with you but it turns out that the digital is better than the cassette rip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apr 24, 2024
  6. SomeRandomNob

Jan 22, 2018
    Vynil MBDTF sounds way better than digital because it's mastered differently, he didn't do that on any other albums.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  7. SliK

SliK mad kunt

Jan 23, 2018
    Got a link to a vinyl rip of MBDTF?

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  8. Scottishdan

Jan 23, 2018
    every vinyl is mastered differently to the CD fact that goes for every artist not just kanye have a look at the waveforms in audacityand it will show you that the vinyl or cassette will have better range dynamics than the CD I'm not at a laptop so can't do a comparison picture.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    SleepyGhost likes this.
    SleepyGhost likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  9. SomeRandomNob

Jan 23, 2018
    They're usually mastered the same, the difference lies in the bitrate and compression levels. What I'm telling you is that he mastered and mixed MBDTF for the vinyl version, in a way he hasn't done for any of his other albums. If you compare HQ's and LQ's of every album. MBDTF is noticeably different on vinyl more so than his other stuff because of the way be released it onto digital.

That difference between vinyl and digital is nowhere close to as dramatic in TLOP or Yeezus, since they're mixed and mastered the same.

SleepyGhost likes this.
    SleepyGhost likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. SomeRandomNob

Jan 23, 2018
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1923mf6xo-5sU2xrwOkHi5-XTwcrHIH9y

Still uploading one by one, should be done in 30 mins.

SliK likes this.
    SliK likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. Scottishdan

Jan 23, 2018
    I'll agree to disagree on this one. everyone has their own opinion but I would be interested to know where you saw he mastered the vinyl for MBDTF different... if you have a link.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  12. fluffy rabbits

Jan 23, 2018
    that's a complete lie. again, unless the record is recorded using analog tape then the quality is either the same or worse. waveforms don't tell everything, it only matters when it actually reaches a level of clipping or flattening. a larger waveform does not inherently mean less dynamics.

it doesn't, that's called a placebo effect. practically every single album and remaster of older albums since the 90s have been mastered from a cd source, regardless of format. the reason itunes downloads might not sound as good is because itunes considers 192kbps to be high quality. cd has a sharper sound due to the audio being copied directly onto it from the source of recording (a completely digital workstation) rather than a digitally made recording being physically cut into a disc. i don't need to do a comparison since i'm a qualified sound engineer and producer and this has been covered in classes in college, so i know how it actually works rather than listening closely for any miniscule errors and chalking it down to it being digital audio's fault, ignoring the fact that it's all recorded digitally using digital mics and digital synths on a digital daw.

unless you're on an indie label which also has a lot of money or your engineer is steve albini then it's all digital

Apr 24, 2024
  13. SomeRandomNob

Jan 23, 2018

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=107800.0

Just Google MBDTF Mastering there's been controversy surounding the mastering of that album since it came out.

Scottishdan likes this.
    Scottishdan likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  14. Scottishdan

Jan 23, 2018
    again I'll agree to disagree but just so I'm clear are yyou saying the loudness war doesnt exist because from your comment it sounds like your saying that its meant to be excessively loud?

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  15. fluffy rabbits

Jan 23, 2018
    there's nothing to disagree about. i'm not being subjective, i'm being objective. unless you're telling me all of my tutors in college are wrong about something they've had decades of experience in?
    i never once mentioned anything about the loudness war in that post, and that's absolutely irrelevant to vinyl only sounding better than cd when it's recorded analog. how does that relate to overly compressed music?
    slightly unrelated question, i'm wondering if you think compressing something is fundamentally a bad thing?

Apr 24, 2024
  16. Scottishdan

Jan 23, 2018
    to be fair everyone has an opinion, mines different to yours whilst compression isn't necessarily bad but IMO analog sounds better than CD.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  17. fluffy rabbits

Jan 23, 2018
    i'm telling you this is not subjective and it has nothing to do with opinions, it is absolutely objective that unless it was recorded analog, the exact same completely digitally recorded album with the same digitally created mix and digitally created master on a digitally created digital audio workstation will sound the same or worse as on a digital format.

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  18. fluffy rabbits

Jan 23, 2018
    compression would be the same, volume levels might be different though. low bitrate is also usually unnoticeable unless it gets to around 10 bits, although most people don't know that does not affect the actual audio quality, only the noise floor and dynamics. 24 and 32 bit audio are practically useless outside of professional environments.

i'm not going to say anything about the mastering on mbdtf since i haven't looked into that at all, i'm assuming whatever you say about that is right. i was trying to say in general for the vast majority of albums, though me saying this is pretty off track from yeezus's mixing anyway

the difference in audio quality between 320 mp3 and flac is so minimal that even on the most expensive monitors you could find you would have to listen extremely closely to hear it. flac exists solely for futureproofing, it's just a way of storing wavs without the massive file size. i'm not saying that mp3s should be a source format though, obviously that should be from a wav or equivalent

Apr 24, 2024
  19. Scottishdan

Jan 23, 2018
    okay my wording may have not been right what I meant was if you record in 24bit or 32bit as the master then convert it down to 16bit you lose dynamics and certain frequencies which because of this bass sounds blown out and you get artifacts from clipping... which is why vinyl is different to CD it doesn't clip and keeps the whole sound unless it was pressed incorrectly, same with cassettes although cassettes deteriorate if not looked after well... like the original pre digital age masters from 90s and further back... this is also why we can record to 32bit with them and not CD.

so I apologise if my wording is wrong.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  20. fluffy rabbits

Jan 23, 2018
    you don't audibly lose anything at all from exporting audio in 16bit, it's the industry standard for physical formats. frequencies are not lost with bit rate, that's the sample rate that affects it. clipping and bass levels has nothing to do with the format, only with the mix itself. if something clips, it's in the audio, i have absolutely no idea why you would think it's the format.

the reason cd was instantly accepted as the new standard above the other small disc formats is because it was higher quality than vinyl and allowed a sharper sound than was possible on vinyl. again, if something that is 100% rendered digitally is copied onto cd, it's not going to magically deteriorate in quality, whereas physically creating vinyls can have the quality issues. one is unlikely while one is practically impossible without outside fault.

Apr 24, 2024