Lil Wayne I wrote about lil wayne's crossover efforts (+Cuntry Rap Article)

Started by DKC, May 28, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jun 4, 2019
    For the record I actually love most of Drake’s dancehall stuff—but it does sometimes come across as forced. But everything Wayne did in the mid-2000s sounded effortless

And yeah I had Bubba and Yela on my list initially and cutting bubba especially was a mistake, I really just didn’t know what song to include for either of them cuz I’m not that familiar with their discogs...and I didn’t wanna subject myself to delving into yela’s to find a good one lol. Lists are hard cuz there’s always gonna be omissions. And nah you don’t sound like a hater, I appreciate critisicm more than someone telling me it’s good when it isn’t.

Slyk and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Slyk and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. Altereagle416

Jun 5, 2019
    Well the patois specifically is a cultural thing. Everyone in Toronto mixes patois from time to time, even white people hence why Snow was an artist in the 90's. I think the problem people had with Drake is this is something he started doing later in his career and not from the jump so it came off as jarring to most people. I'm not going to say it doesn't sound forced sometimes but it's definitely more authentic.

As for Bubba and Yela, your list loses credibility without including them. I can understand cutting things due to time constraints but I mean omitting them and including things like Post Malone is just not okay. I was wondering if that was your choice or the editors and it just sounds like you were too lazy to do proper research. These are all mainstream singles (for the most part). BTW, if you wanted to hear good Yelawolf songs start with his Stereo mixtape where he raps over rock and roll samples.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Michael Myers likes this.
    Michael Myers likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  3. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jun 5, 2019
    understandable. that's enough to make anybody unhappy.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  4. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jun 5, 2019
    I always thought yela was kinda corny @Big Cuntry but honestly Love Story isn't that bad imo. It has a few decent country rap songs. Depending on ur taste ofcourse

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jun 5, 2019
    I didn't find drake's use of patois jarring at all and I understand it's a cultural thing. My point really wasn't to criticize drake's use of it or debate whose was more authentic, just that Wayne was experimenting with it a long time ago.

And no, I spent hours and hours researching and writing this to the point that I made less than minimum wage for the article lol. I had to meet a deadline and things had to be cut (I had like 10+ more songs to possibly include but the list was too long). But I agree with you that cutting them was a mistake on my part. And it definitely was not my choice to include Post Malone on the banner, but he deserves a spot on the list no matter your opinion of him imo (I'm very lukewarm on him personally).

Apr 18, 2024
  6. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jun 5, 2019
    I actually did listen to Love Story years ago and didn't mind it other than a few really really really bad songs. But like I said personally I'd rather accept that I didn't have enough time to meet deadline AND research an artist I don't know enough about and cut them than to include them and demonstrate that I don't know s--- about them by picking a song that might not be the best representation of what I'm going for.

But ya I concede that I prob made the wrong decision by leaving out yela and bubba as @Altereagle416 said. Lists are hard cuz there's always gonna be something left out. But you live and you learn, that's how you become a better writer. I appreciate people taking the time here to have legitimate debates and critiques instead of just calling me a "fa----" for not including yelawolf in the hnhh comments lol

Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  7. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jun 5, 2019
    Speaking of hnhh comments lmfaooo :'(:'(

That article about jay being billionaire:

20190605_181526.jpg

Oh and ur a fa---- for not including yellowwulf man he's on slim shady tha goat records!!!

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  8. Altereagle416

Jun 5, 2019
    It's more of the phrasing that you used for that particular Lil Wayne section. It just came across as snarky.

As a writer myself, I can appreciate the struggle and trying to make deadline. I nearly got a job for HNHH myself so I can imagine what pressure you were under to make it for deadline. I don't personally have any issue with Post Malone, I just don't think he's country at all. You're totally right about lists, you'll never make everyone happy because it's never exhaustive. I just did an article on anime and rap and people were complaining about me not including Robb Banks when I never of him until this week.

DKC likes this.
    DKC likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024