Serious Israel-Gaza Erupt In Violence

Started by Enigma, May 12, 2021, in Life Add to Reading List

1. lil uzi vert stan

May 21, 2021
    oh yeah, dont disagree for sure lol

Ordinary Joel, Enigma and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enigma and DKC like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

May 21, 2021
    People in the thread acting like we’re in Congress or something. Of course reactionary politics can create instability but none of us have powers to do f--- all anyway so we’re just talking in a hip hop forum on the basis of what we feel is right/wrong.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  3. Rodamon

May 21, 2021
    there are layers on how to handle it obviusly, but not on the situation itself. there were layers in any genocide in history but if you always address it by saying "well its not that simple..." while a whole community is being f---ing massacred, you may come off as an apologist, and rightfully so.

Ordinary Joel and Alpha like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Alpha like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  4. lil uzi vert stan

May 21, 2021
    this is my main point, mostly after parsing through enigma's posts. so, no, im not going to be pigeonholed as an "apologist" - i hear what youre saying though.

ya but context still matters. and the whole idea is words lead to action so i wouldnt undercut what we say here. our posts reverberate through history

anyway enigma is questioning whether whats being called for by ppl here would be even effective longterm, and i suggested another solution that should def happen.. doesnt seem that outlandish imo

Enigma likes this.
    Enigma likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  5. hargydon

May 21, 2021
    I don’t think what’s been said here has been problematic though.

To denounce America’s role & benefits of Israel’s partnership/existence as a positive for their dominance in the Middle East is extremely naive don’t you think? It’s clearly why they’re the only ones that aren’t pursuing a resolution. This is what the argument’s have been focused on & I don’t disagree.

It’s easy to sit on the fence but it doesn’t get us anywhere.

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  6. lil uzi vert stan

May 21, 2021
    i am a little confused what you mean. its naive to recognize why the US is invested in israel in terms of geopolitical significance?

right, i agree. i dont think enigma or at least i have been on the fence per se, but im joining late. seems more just challenging the efficacy of one solution and in my case bringing up something diff that imo would shift the politics critically on the ground. something that should/needs to be done asap.

Ordinary Joel, Enigma and hargydon like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enigma and hargydon like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  7. hargydon

May 21, 2021
    I’ve had a bit of the old drink so I am probably mincing words but what I’m trying to say is — people assessing the situation & saying America’s role is only to stop a power vacuum from forming that creates instability across the Middle East, rather than y’know, interests being served to America (the reason why they get involved in other states in the 1st place) is a naive outlook on the world in the frame of geopolitics.

To sit there & argue against people’s discontent of the current genocide is counterproductive. This stance also contradicts what I’m being attacked for in the other thread but I digress.

Ordinary Joel and Rodamon like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  8. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

May 21, 2021

the onion undefeated lmaooo

DKC likes this.
    DKC likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  9. hargydon

May 22, 2021
    Do you guys actually believe America (& by extension other states that have similar political systems) are actually democracies? When none of you have a say in their actions in situations like this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organised interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favour policy change, they generally do not get it.

They conclude:

Americans do enjoy many features central to democratic governance, such as regular elections, freedom of speech and association and a widespread (if still contested) franchise. But we believe that if policymaking is dominated by powerful business organisations and a small number of affluent Americans, then America's claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened.

It reminds me of when Henry Wallace was ousted during the least talked about coup of the 20th century. Henry Wallace was Roosevelt's VP from 1941-45. A beloved progressive & outspoken antifascist, he’s been largely wiped from historical memory. His father was Coolidge & Harding’s Sec. of Agriculture & Henry was also Sec. of Ag. during the New Deal. Wallace was a champion of civil rights, women’s rights & unions. He was a staunch opponent of British & French colonialism. This made him extremely popular with the American people, but an enemy to the Democratic establishment as well as Republicans. As VP, Wallace declared the 20th century to be the “century of the Common Man.” He called for a worldwide people’s revolution in the vein of the French & Russian revolutions, global full employment, an end to poverty & the proliferation of science & tech research. Wallace summarized his politics as "Nation first, Wall Street second." He labeled Wall Street “America’s fascists.” Considering how radical he was, especially for his time, it's not hard to imagine why virtually no one knows about him despite his popularity. By 1944, the establishment had had enough. At the DNC convention on July 20th in Chicago, a coup was staged to get Wallace off the ticket. That day a Gallup poll was released stating only 2% of Americans wanted Truman on the ticket. 65% wanted Wallace back as VP. The first night of the convention, Sen. Claude Pepper attempted to call for a vote that would secure Wallace’s nomination as VP. When he was 5 feet away from the microphone, a motion to adjourn was called by the party bosses. 5% said Aye, 95% said Nay, but the motion carried. All of history changed with that moment. If Wallace remained VP & eventually became President, not only would the atomic bombings likely never happened, but the Cold War could have been avoided & the 20th century could have truly been the “century of the Common Man.”

To me, this was enough to show out what I’d already started to understand as corruption at the core.

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  10. Enigma

May 22, 2021
    You are aware that there are like literally entire volumes of academic literature written about this point in American history, right? Also, in 1944, very few states allowed primaries. Choosing the party nominee was largely left up to party leaders. It wasn’t until 30 years later that the primary process was democratized. It also should be noted that Wallace ran for president as a 3rd party & received 0 electoral votes & mustered up ~2% of the popular vote. Later on in his life, he separated from the progressive party that he ran for president under & endorsed Republican President Dwight Eisenhower. He also wrote about how he wasn’t critical of Stalin/Soviet Union enough earlier in his career.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Apr 18, 2024
  11. Enigma

May 27, 2021

“This speaks to the deeper reason the two-state solution remains better than the leading alternative: It is the only realistic way of dealing with the fact that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is one between two distinct nations. Israelis and Palestinians have fundamentally different identities and different ideas about how they want to be governed; in one state, one of their political projects would necessarily be defeated. This would make future violence more likely, not less.”

lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  12. Lucy

Lucy #1

May 27, 2021
    Only an arrogant American would look at their failing two party system then try to thrust the same s--- on warring nations and justify it.

Apr 18, 2024
  13. Enigma

May 30, 2021

promising news!!

Apr 18, 2024
  14. Alpha

Alpha

Jul 20, 2021

Apr 18, 2024
  15. hargydon

Jul 25, 2021

Apr 18, 2024
  16. hargydon

Jul 29, 2021
    I hate how powerless we are against all of this. Modern day colonialism, who’d have thought? I’m also pretty concerned that nobody seems to give a s--- about it anymore too.

Apr 18, 2024