NFL Jay Z and Beyonce sit for the National Anthem at Superbowl

Started by SHUDEYE, Feb 2, 2020, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Feb 4, 2020

Interested in hearing what forms of protest you think arent “lazy” that could be substituted here. It’s just weird that whenever people of color protest—there’s always an issue with how they protest. They march in the streets—thugs, criminals! They take up arms to defend themselves (Malcolm X)—terrorists, criminals! They kneel during the national anthem—disrespectful, unpatriotic, lazy!

gdot and Ordinary Joel like this.
    gdot and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  2. vodkasauce

vodkasauce Banned

Feb 4, 2020
    you are misusing the so called "em dash" (—) ... the first one should have been a comma, the other two are odd.

here is a good reference
    https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/em-dash.html

joeyp363 likes this.
    joeyp363 likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  3. The Real Slim Shady

Feb 4, 2020
    Clearly no one gives a f--- about the 4/5 people around them who are also seated during that whole video?

Or is that already known by everyone and its only being reported because they’re black?

Reed Richards likes this.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  4. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Feb 4, 2020
    They're representing the voiceless in a peaceful way. What's the issue?

I don't get it when people get up in arms over it. Don't be mad at them, be mad at the media for making a mountain out of a molehill.

EDIT: Or should I say, be mad at the people responding to them not standing with whatabout-isms. Outrage for the sake of outrage.

Rodamon, Enigma and Reed Richards like this.
    Rodamon, Enigma and Reed Richards like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  5. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

Feb 4, 2020
    Just like a majority of Americans, watching it in our homes

everyone making an uproar about this s--- are the same ones who sit while they watch it at home on television

Apr 23, 2024
  6. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Feb 4, 2020
    i don't care if it's a black movement or a movement towards non-GMO bacon. if you have a huge platform, resources, followers, & friends in high places, and you actually want to make a change, then it shouldn't be overly difficult to come up with a less arbitrary, more productive, and less disrespectful way to make that statement.

here's another lazy equivalent example:
    i'm going to change the accents on night theme from blue to green because i think that we don't treat muslims fairly in the states. maybe everybody else will follow suit and facebook and twitter will turn green...that will really get the point across, right? no. no it won't. not only is this as ambiguously designed of a campaign as kneeling/sitting, but it somehow manages to be a better plan, as turning something green isn't disrespectful...mindfuckingly enough, this is somehow a more spot-on way to show protest than the kneeling/sitting.

here's a 5-second thought process of a better way to get that point across:
    i'm going to banner the forum, advocating for respect and non-biases towards muslims, i'm going to put out ads, and i'm going to promote my movement directly. i'm not going to pee on the american flag, and i'm not going to wait months for someone to ask me what it is i'm doing.

if you have to explain why the h--- you're doing a seemingly-arbitrary action, then that action isn't sending a direct message towards what it is you're doing. when you sprinkle in disrespect towards the country, then you're really missing the mark.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  7. Enigma

Feb 4, 2020
    less disrespectful? They’re literally sitting down & being quiet. If this is too disrespectful, id love to hear your thoughts on the sit-ins, boycotts & riots during the civil rights movement. And what happens if you don’t have a plethora of financial resources, then what? It’s just weird to me that people doing a symbolic gesture for a good cause can amount this much dissatisfaction. There isn’t any ambiguity here: the general public knows why people are kneeling/sitting for the national anthem. It’s been debated to death for years now & people can sit there & pretend in their false sense of patriotism that it has to do with American troops bla bla bla but it doesn’t. They know this & continue to try to shift the conversation away from racial injustice because that’s not a topic a large chunk of Americans are ready to talk about. People playing dumb & insinuating that people kneeling for the anthem are actively disrespecting troops does not make the gesture/form of protest ambiguous. They’ll turn *any* form of protest into something it’s not (like I said marching in the streets = thug/criminal). That’s just how race relations has always worked in this country. People want you to have the right to protest but only if you protest on their terms & how they want you to protest. f--- that.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  8. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Feb 4, 2020
    kaep DID HAVE resources
    the gesture WAS AMBIGUOUS

i noticed that you didn't poke any holes in my ridiculous examples. take your "everybody is racist" hat off for a second and acknowledge what i'm saying: it's a stupid way to get a point across and has been since it's inception. yes it's evolved into something larger, but no, it wasn't a very intelligent way to make a statement and continues to be that. if i need to say it again: i'm for the movement. there's smart ways to do good things and there's the opposite...this was the latter and continues to be.

Xmipod likes this.
    Xmipod likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  9. Lucy

Lucy #1

Feb 5, 2020
    yeah so why can't you dipshit?

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  10. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 5, 2020
    Politics smh why cant u just respect a fellow artist

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  11. Enigma

Feb 5, 2020
    You’re basing this off public perception though. You’re saying it’s a “stupid way to get a point across” because people are framing it as disrespectful. You’re saying there are alternatives to fight for this cause to avoid this debacle of whether or not the act is disrespectful. I’m telling you—based on historical precedent—it really does not matter how you protest. There are always going to be people who take issue with it. If everyone supported your protest, there would be no reason to protest.

MLK is often framed as the the ideal way to create change & form a mass social movement. When he was alive, MLK had an approval rating of 25%. A majority of Americans didn’t approve of MLK until after he died. So again, it’s just silly to me how Americans always b---- & complain about how disenfranchised people should protest. They literally can’t even sit down & be quiet without being criticized.

P.S. Kaep has donated millions of dollars to charities fighting for social justice. He has done more than just kneel. Regardless though, the premise that you have to donate money or commit X amount of resources in order to raise awareness is just dumb. Kaep, Jay, Beyoncé etc don’t have to do anything.

Apr 23, 2024
  12. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Feb 5, 2020
    I sat down too on my couch, why isn't nobody making a fuss about that!?

Ordinary Joel, Enigma and Detroit24 like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enigma and Detroit24 like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  13. Xmipod

Feb 5, 2020
    Who cares

I personally would never sit but why do people care so much about what other people do

The world keeps spinning

Apr 23, 2024
  14. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Feb 5, 2020
    again, the approach was the equivalent of me turning blue to green on here. take away the perception of whether it's disrespectful or not for a second (this is essentially another conversation in itself) and if you truly believe that IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE, that that isn't an ambiguous representation for the cause, then we can't further this conversation...because that's literally ALL I'm saying.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  15. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Feb 5, 2020
    More people are talking about the issues that the players kneeled for, therefore, undoubtedly, more people have chosen to take action to make a change.

Apr 23, 2024