Non-Hip-Hop Jazzhop (lounge music)

Started by Mimi, Jan 2, 2016, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Mimi

Mimi the art of doing nothing

Jan 2, 2016
    I've really been getting into this style of music in the past year. It's great background music for life, while walking, travelling, browsing the web ect.

playlist

Here are a couple tracks, starting with the great Pete Rock to begin the thread

@Ordinary Joel any beats you could recommend, I know you have some good taste for this :emoji_heart:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Caslon

Caslon covered n moe

Jan 2, 2016
    First time I've seen that term used, but I've been a fan of this for a long time and Guru is my favorite rapper so I'm IN

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Ordinary Joel and Mimi like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Yes! Can not go wrong with a bit of Guru. I still need to give his Jazzmataz albums a proper listen through, added this one to my ipod the other day

Love Erykah Badu on it :emoji_heart:

Ordinary Joel and Caslon like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016

I find Japanese DJs do this genre really well.

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Caslon

Caslon covered n moe

Jan 2, 2016
    Definitely check out the first two Jazzmatazz albums. After Guru developed the blueprint for old style NY Jazz Rap with Premier, he was the first to reach out to real Jazz musicians like Donald Byrd and Ramsey Lewis. That's how Jazzmatazz was born, and it's definitely the furthest anyone has gone into Jazz territory while still maintaining a hip hop identity.

The first two Jazzmatazz albums are amazing, the second focuses more on social commentary than the first and it can honestly be a bit reduntant at times. The third album has the track w Erykah Badu, and isn't as good as the first two but still worth a listen, if only for its features alone. When you get names such as The Roots & Isaac Hayes theres no way they can make anything less than excellent

Everything after that in Guru's solo discography is garbage, and that's coming from someone who thinks he's the best rapper of all time lol
    I blame Solar

g--- Starr discog is pretty much flawless though, and even tho they don't use live instrumentation they were one of the first Jazz Rap names along with ATCQ

Ordinary Joel, Posh P and Mimi like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Posh P and Mimi like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Caslon

Caslon covered n moe

Jan 2, 2016
    Oh yea, for sure. Nujabes left a huge impact worldwide, and an even bigger impact locally. Personally I don't feel like a lot of them measure up to Seba himself though.

Have you heard any Fat Jon? He co-produced the Samurai Champloo OST together with Nujabes. His style a lot more experimental and wide than Nujabes, but his album Repaint Tomorrow has a lot of organic jazz inspired material.

also the artwork for his records is beautiful, i even bought this limited edition version to get it in full size as well as colored vinyl c:

[​IMG]

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Oh wow, thanks for the info! Always good to get a bit of a back story and more knowledge into things, especially something as beautiful as this muisc. Next time I'm popping tunes on my ipod I'll def make sure to throw the first two on at least. I really like the fact that as a fan you can still come in and give an unbiased opinion, thank you.

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Oh definitely. Such a tragedy to lose him, you know he would have made so many more amazing beats and had there been a chance to see him live I would have loved to be able to experience that. Not only just for him and his music but for the people that also enjoy it.

I thought I had more Fat Jon on my ipod than i actually do, I must only have a few tracks from his work with Nujabes. Will have to throw that album on too, really, really enjoyed the tracks you threw out :emoji_heart:.

That is a really nice cover, that's the type of cover I would be wanting to hang on the wall. Again, I find these japanese DJs always have beautiful album artwork. But maybe that's just a symptom of loving everything Japanese =p
    Do you have a big vinyl collection? Really cool that you got this one!

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Caslon

Caslon covered n moe

Jan 2, 2016
    I started collecting around a year ago. and I've only got some of my favorite must-have records so far. I'm also really weak for anything with the words "limited edition", "color vinyl", "gatefold", "original pressing", "picture vinyl", etc.

Here's some of my favorite items from my collection:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: also pretty close to having the full g--- starr discog, I only need moment of truth & the ownerz

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Oh wow, some really nice looking vinyls there, loving the whole look of the Fat Jon one. And it really is satisfying having something that is a bit rarer than your average copy. Do you keep them out on display or have them tucked away safely? Good luck at getting those last two. If I, for whatever reason, happen to stumble upon them I'll drop you a PM :emoji_wink:

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Caslon

Caslon covered n moe

Jan 2, 2016
    Oh, I can get anything i want on discogs.com it isnt a problem but thanks for the offer

its just i rly dont have money to toss out for all the vinyl i want so i try to limit myself to a couple every other month lol

Mar 29, 2024
  12. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Ah, well at least it's not an issue of availability. That's a nice treat for yourself, probably also makes it easier for people to know what to get you when buying gifts :emoji_wink:

Mar 29, 2024
  13. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016

Mar 29, 2024
  14. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016

Posh P and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Posh P and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Posh P

Jan 2, 2016
    This is a great thread guys. This is probably one of my favourite hip hop sounds and styles. I appreciate you putting me on to a few artists and producers involved in making this type of vibe and sound.

Ordinary Joel, Mimi and Caslon like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Mimi and Caslon like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Glad you've found something new to expand your collection =) I find it a bit more tricky to find music of this type, it's mostly word of mouth for me. But there are a lot of gems when you get onto a good batch. Throw out any you have yourself, I'm always looking for more =)

Ordinary Joel, Caslon and Posh P like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Caslon and Posh P like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016

Mar 29, 2024
  18. Posh P

Jan 2, 2016
    Yeah, it's wonderful music. To be honest, I'm already a fan of some of the ones that have already been posted to be honest. I love g--- Starr, Madlib, Pete Rock, Nujabes, J Dilla, ATCQ etc. and I'm liking some of the new names I've found here too.

I'm a big fan of MF DOOM and he's produced some great Jazz Rap type songs throughout his career:

Mar 29, 2024
  19. Mimi

Jan 2, 2016
    Niiice :emoji_wink:

I have a feeling most people who enjoy this music got introduced to it through those classic artists, the legends they are.

Ordinary Joel and Posh P like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Posh P like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 2, 2016
    Figure this is a relevant place to mention that I saw the Digable Planets reunion show the other night. They had a live band, it was awesome. Only decent quality video I could find:

Mar 29, 2024