M Solo's 2015 Diet Journal Thread

Started by M Solo, Jan 16, 2015, in Life Add to Reading List

1. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Jan 16, 2015
    My 2015 cut starts tomorrow, January 17, 2015. I'm at a respectable 215lbs and 8% body fat. I have a photo s---t with the biggest fitness photographer on the planet the last week of March. All in all it's going to cost me around 2 grand but I'm looking at it as a major investment in my fitness career. I've been featured and profiled in several fitness magazines the past few years but I'm going for a cover with this s---t. Anything less will be a failure. (There's also a Men's Physique Competition in my area the following week and I may do that for the h--- of it.) Needless to say I need to be in tip top shape and I'm going to use this thread as my personal journal. Anybody who's really dieted knows what a mind f--- it can be. Even though I've done this countless times in my life it still presents a challenge every time so I'll be sharing my experiences in here. Also, the end results are always great but as trite as it sounds it's the journey that truly is the fun part. I want to document that this time. So feel free to follow along and/or ask questions. I'll do my best to respond but for the most part this is going to be a journal of sorts.

I'm essentially doing this for me but if you guys are able to get something out of it then it makes it that much better.

Disclosure, Ryan and Mike Tyson like this.
    Disclosure, Ryan and Mike Tyson like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Jan 16, 2015
    new years resolution gym goers in this thread rn

[​IMG]

Enigma, Dew, 6ixgawd and 1 other person like this.
    Enigma, Dew, 6ixgawd and 1 other person like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Ryan

Ryan 6 God

Jan 16, 2015
    Nice, I'm cutting for the first time starting next week for a work "Biggest Loser" competition. I was planning on cutting anyway but taking $500 in prize money from middle-aged hags who think that their Herbalife plan is the greatest thing ever sounds like a great plan.

Enigma, M Solo and Mike Tyson like this.
    Enigma, M Solo and Mike Tyson like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 16, 2015
    Would be curious to know what you also do for dieting during your bulking phase. And how long between phases (bulk->cut, cut->bulk)?

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Jan 16, 2015
    it's fleecing season :wow5:

Ryan likes this.
    Ryan likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Jan 16, 2015
    d---, paying 2k for a photo s---t? Sounds like a sketchy industry. Might as well just publish a dieting book to offset the cost.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Sac

Sac

Jan 17, 2015
    Nice, looking forward to seeing the progress you make. I have cut multiple times for powerlifting purposes but never to the point of a magazine model nor physique competitor due to not wanting to lose strength. How old are you and what is your past experience lifting wise?

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. M Solo

Jan 17, 2015

I'm 29 and have been lifting since I was 16. When you factor in different injuries you can subtract a solid 3-4 years of serious training off of that. Yeah, losing strength sucks but it comes with the territory. It's definitely give and take.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. M Solo

Jan 17, 2015
    I've seen very talented, very accomplished people do the book thing and they've all failed miserably. Online coaching and training is where it's at. Weight loss and fitness is big business and from what I've experienced firsthand the exposure of being published in magazines >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any type of degree or personal training certification one can get. I've been able to parlay the magazine exposure into a pretty lucrative business through social media. If I'm able to land a cover, man, that 2 grand would pay for itself 100x over. More importantly though I want to do it for me. Anybody can work a 9-5 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I want to do something special while I'm here on this planet. Something that I can look always look back and say I did that and nobody can take it from me. I gambled and it paid off. Landing a magazine cover(s) would be just that for me. It's happening this spring or I will die trying.

Enigma, x326 and Mike Tyson like this.
    Enigma, x326 and Mike Tyson like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. M Solo

Jan 17, 2015

I'm not a fan of the tradition "bulk". After a cut I'll slowly add calories/cheat meals back into my diet and put on some weight but as far as getting shredded and then just letting everything go off the rails and gaining some 30lbs..... that's just not for me. I like to stay in striking distance year round because with the magazine stuff I can get an email and they'll be like can you be ready in two weeks, one week, ect? I stay fairly lean year round. Sorry I couldn't answer your question better but I don't really do things in a traditional matter as far as bulking/cutting goes. I mean I'm starting my cut at 8% body fat. That would be most individual's end game right there. I'm going to slowly cut over the next 10 weeks with the goal of getting to 4% body fat while actually putting on some muscle.

Mikey and Slyk like this.
    Mikey and Slyk like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Ryan

Ryan 6 God

Jan 17, 2015
    @M Solo would you be interested posting your workout and diet? Over the next 10 weeks I'm looking at going from around 16% down to 10% and I'm concerned with how much of the muscle mass I've worked the last 2-3 years on I'll lose.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. x326

Jan 17, 2015
    Have you considered getting with a pro and putting together an ebook of some sort? I'm sure those would sell, especially if you're getting good exposure considering you sayd people are interested in online coaching/teaching. Tablets, kindles, smartphones and laptops and all that s---.

I dunno

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. M Solo

Jan 19, 2015
    Yesterday I decided I wanted to start on a Monday so I had my final cheat meal last night so as of right now Day 1 is in the books. I will be in a major caloric deficit for the next 10 days and have a refeed(as many carbs as I can eat while keeping fat low) on day 11. After that they will be once a week.
    I really don't want to post my actual diet but if you post yours I'd be happy to go over it and give you my thoughts, advice and suggestions.

As far as workouts go they are constantly changing.

Today was back and I was in a rush for time so....

Deadlifts
    135lbs 5x1
    225lbs 5x1
    315lbs 5x4, 8x1

Wide Grip Pull Ups
    8x4
    Wide Grip Pull Downs
    12x2,10x2
    Close Grip Pull Downs
    10x4
    T-Bar Rows
    15x4

Then I finished with about 20 minutes of core work. Tomorrow will be chest and core.

Mikey likes this.
    Mikey likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Ryan

Ryan 6 God

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm keeping a few strict rules for my cut:
    1) As little sugar as possible in a day. I was averaging 30-60g per day on my bulk depending on what sauce I used for my dinner. I'm aiming for <10g per day. The hardest will be no sugary BBQ sauces or marinades, which I'm a sucker for.
    2) Carbs 1 meal per day. This will be after my workout, which I do in the mid morning usually in order to give me energy and feed the muscles after a workout.

Other than that today I had:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, cheese, 3 slices of sliced deli turkey
    Mid-morning: Protein Shake. Almond milk to keep sugar down and I'm taking Phase8 Choco/PB.
    Workout
    Lunch: Chicken Breast, Jasmine Rice 1 serving, 1.5 cups peas
    Mid-Afternoon: Today I had a Combat Crunch Bar, but I have Quest Bars on hand or a protein shake. I do have some yogurt I might mix in on days when I feel like I am crashing from the lack of sugar.
    Dinner: Salmon, 1.5 cups cooked green beans, 1.5 cups mixed veggies (california style so broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

About 1500 cal. Resting cal/d to stay the same weight I find from experience is around 2000 cal (I have an office job)..

Comments welcome

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. M Solo

Jan 19, 2015

Just saw this and I'm about to go to bed. I'll go in depth tomorrow but the thing that jumped out at me is your need for BBQ Sauce which is the same boat I'm in. I can't eat my chicken without it. Try and find Walden Farms in your area. It's a God send, man. 0 Calories, 0 Carbs/Sugar. If you can't find it it's definitely worth ordering online. Anyways, I just wanted to throw that out there while I saw this. I'll get more into in tomorrow.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Ryan

Ryan 6 God

Jan 20, 2015
    Can't believe I've never heard of this. I looked up the website and there's 1 place in my city that sells it so I'm going to stop there after work. It's an independent family-owned pharmacy though so I'm not expecting much selection. Bodybuilding sells it too so that's my fallback options.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Graham

Jan 20, 2015
    Walden Farms also has the goat low cal/sugar option for Syrup. Goes great with some protein pancakes.

Don't know if anyone ever bakes with protein powders but Cellucor's whey is fantastic in pancakes, mug cake, and other things along those lines. Tons of flavors to add taste variety to a diet. Especially on a deficit i find that I can create dessert like options that are low cal and taste amazing

M Solo likes this.
    M Solo likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. M Solo

Jan 20, 2015

Original BBQ is the Godly, Honey BBQ is decent and Hickory is disgusting. The Pancake syrup is the best thing I've ever tried and the caramel syrup is great if you like butterscotch. Other than that I'd stear way the f--- clear of Walden Farms lol.

That original BBQ though>>>>>>>>

The stuff makes dieting too easy.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Ryan

Ryan 6 God

Jan 20, 2015
    So I went to the Wellness Pharmacy after work and they had a ton of selection in Walden Farms and other brands Green Valley Ranch and Trinity. I picked up:

Walden Farms Thousand Island
    Walden Farms Ketchup
    Walden Farms Original BBQ
    Green Valley Ranch Red Thai Curry
    Trinity Teriyaki marinade

to try a bit of everything. I don't really buy or eat syrup ever but I may try that if I get a sweet tooth.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. Myril

Myril Resurrected

Jan 20, 2015
    With the amount of cardio training I'm doing at the moment, I should really start eating a bit more healthy to utilize all the training I do. I too often end up eating pizza because I don't have time to make anything else. I really need to start planing my meals better.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024