Boxing/MMA Mayweather vs. McGregor [Mayweather wins by TKO]

Started by Poohdini, May 25, 2016, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

May 25, 2016
    Yeah, this isn't going to happen. The UFC owns McGregor and stand nothing to gain from feeding him to Floyd. Dana and Lorenzo are both boxing heads thus know exactly what would happen. This all started because McGregor needed leverage after getting pulled from UFC 200. Floyd is running with it because (1) it would be easy money and (2) he's still a giant attention whor-. There's even a quote somewhere from McGregor saying he's "in the business of spinning plates" in regards to this fight. It's all for show.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  2. Charlie Work

May 25, 2016
    Even just getting Floyd to agree to MMA gloves would be a game changer. Dudes don't realize how much boxing defense revolves around having pillow hands.

Enigma, Dank Sinatra and Mike Tyson like this.
    Enigma, Dank Sinatra and Mike Tyson like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  3. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

May 25, 2016
    Diaz is calling their bluff.

In an interview with The MMA Hour on Wednesday, Diaz confirmed he is currently in negotiations to fight McGregor for the second time at UFC 202, which is expected to take place on Aug. 20 in Las Vegas. The rematch was originally signed to headline UFC 200 on July 9, but the promotion pulled McGregor from the event last month when he refused to fly to Las Vegas to participate in promotional obligations.

Diaz, who submitted McGregor at UFC 196 in March, met with UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta last week in Stockton, California, but could not agree to financial terms for the rematch. Looming over the talks, oddly enough, is a proposed boxing match between McGregor and retired superstar Floyd Mayweather. Diaz, 31, called those rumors a "publicity stunt" and said it wouldn't affect how he negotiates the rematch.

"I think the Mayweather thing is a publicity stunt," Diaz said. "It's great for both of them. Boxing followers will start following Conor, MMA followers are going to start following Floyd. They're all benefiting, and no one is losing, so they're going to keep the ball rolling.

"But every day I hear about this Mayweather s---, it's always about, 'Am I going to take the fight?' It seems like this is a pretty big deal, can I get compensated for it? ... I'm like, 'Hey, I call your bluff. Fight [Mayweather], I'll be right here.'

Asked about the potential superfight with Mayweather, McGregor told ESPN, "[Mayweather] needs me. I don't need him. That's the truth of it. Who else can he fight? He fights someone else in the boxing realm, and it's like, all of a sudden the pay goes from $100 million to $15 million. He needs me. If he wants to talk, we'll talk, but it's me who's in control here."

Diaz (19-10), who has sparred with former world boxing champion Andre Ward in California, couldn't help but add that if he boxed Mayweather, "I guarantee I'd do better than McGregor would."

In a text to ESPN.com immediately after the meeting with Diaz last week, White simply said, "It wasn't a good day," regarding negotiations on the rematch. Although the two sides weren't able to come to a deal, Diaz said a TMZ report about White storming out of the restaurant was exaggerated.

"Nothing is done, but I don't think any damage was done," Diaz said. "We're still on good terms. I've been texting with Dana. He's real cool. I'm sure he wasn't the happiest at the moment, and I was thinking, 'Wow, I might have pissed him off.' But I just said what I had to say. I told him at the end, 'I don't want to piss anyone off. I'm just trying to get mine, because it's time to get mine. It's been a long road. I need to get mine while I can. If not, I don't think I ever will.'

"He was like, 'I understand, man. It's not about pissing people off. It's not about us being pissed. We've just got to figure it out.' So we've been texting back and forth."

On whether he ultimately wants the rematch with McGregor, Diaz said he didn't care one way or the other. He said it's McGregor (19-3) who needs the rematch, after losing the first fight. Diaz did say that he and McGregor are the UFC's two biggest draws at the moment, however, so it's the fight that fans want to see.

"A lot of people know Conor McGregor is a big draw," Diaz said, "but I know, whether they want to say it or not, I put up bigger numbers than anybody, too."

Mike Tyson likes this.
    Mike Tyson likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  4. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

May 25, 2016
    especially Floyd who has brittle hands to begin with so wins on technique and not power.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  5. Charlie Work

May 25, 2016
    He'd have a totally different reputation if he didn't have baby hands. He was pretty much always the smaller guy, but threw with enough power to keep guys off off him anyway. Hand speed isn't usually indicative of power, but Mayweather's fast ball style hooks never looked very fun to get tagged with.

I've been rewatching some of his fights. It's incredible how smart he is in the ring. His intuition is always dead on. Never lets guys build momentum. Dude can't read a book, but he could fill a couple when it comes to technique. Last of a dying breed when it comes to black American slicksters.

Apr 23, 2024
  6. DetroitDGAF

DetroitDGAF Locked in Mariah’s Wine Cellar

May 25, 2016
    Diaz, who submitted McGregor at UFC 196 in March, met with UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta last week in Stockton, California, but could not agree to financial terms for the rematch. Looming over the talks, oddly enough, is a proposed boxing match between McGregor and retired superstar Floyd Mayweather. Diaz, 31, called the proposal a "publicity stunt" and said it wouldn't affect how he negotiates the rematch.

"I think the Mayweather thing is a publicity stunt," Diaz said. "It's great for both of them. Boxing followers will start following Conor, MMA followers are going to start following Floyd. They're all benefiting, and no one is losing, so they're going to keep the ball rolling.

"But every day I hear about this Mayweather s---, it's always about, 'Am I going to take the fight?' It seems like this is a pretty big deal, can I get compensated for it? ... I'm like, 'Hey, I call your bluff. Fight [Mayweather], I'll be right here.'"

didnt floyd n 50 do some publicity bs before anyway?

if it was an mma or kickboxing match conor would break dudes legs n win after that

boxing i dont see mcgregor winning, after the diaz fight lolllll

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  7. lilgriffey84

May 26, 2016
    i assume this would be strictly a boxing match with no ufc element

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  8. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

May 26, 2016
    Diaz is talking about the Mayweather thing being a publicity stunt but Dana shot this down like 2 weeks ago.

"Let me put it to you this way," White told ESPN's "Russillo & Kanell" on Thursday. "Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are in the same sport. It took how long for those two to fight? Now imagine how hard it would be to get (Mayweather and McGregor) to fight. They're not in the same sport."

What's holding up the McGregor/Diaz rematch is that Nate wants to make "McGregor money". He doesn't realize that Conor could fight Fighter X tomorrow and do 1.5 million buys and Nate could fight the same guy and do 400K .

Cerrone, AvB and Poohdini like this.
    Cerrone, AvB and Poohdini like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  9. smitty

smitty i love stuff

May 26, 2016
    Although I don't think will happen. It would be interesting to watch if it did. I know I'd lay down some bread to watch, no doubt.

It would be interesting to see if this would be a fight where Mayweather would come out throwing instead of being his usual nearly-flawless defensive self (highly doubtful), knowing he's better than Conor in every aspect of Boxing (besides maybe power). The striking style Conor uses in his MMA bouts would not fly against Floyd, that man's technique is something Conor has never seen and I could see him getting frustrated real quick, opening up lanes for Floyd for easy scoring.
    Conor's got a strong chin so the fight would go the distance, but there's no way Mayweather would lose in a decision lol.

I even feel like Floyd could wake up the day of the fight, without much training, and handle business easily.

It would make a TON of money, so I understand the rumors - but this s--- will not happen.
    f--- off Colin Cowherd.

Give me the Diaz rematch or Aldo/Edgar.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  10. Dank Sinatra

May 26, 2016
    Oh man i completely forgot about those talks, I would have loved to see that tbh.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  11. Charlie Work

May 26, 2016
    McGregor wants Nate though. That's a lot of leverage having the biggest name in the sport desperate for a rematch. Nate is smart to do it this way.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  12. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

May 26, 2016
    I wouldnt get too bold if im Nate because the UFC will dead it, just like they did with McGregor at UFC 200. They will give Conor another opponent and deal with the 100K PPV loss(or whatever it ends up being). I dont think the UFC wanted that fight in the first place, because if Nate wins then he is gonna want a s--- load of money (which the UFC wont give him) and he still probably wont draw half the PPV buys of what McGregor does. They wont be able to build anything off a Nate win, anyone who has followed his career knows this McGregor fight will probably be his last. He wants to take the money from this one and run. Hes not gonna rematch an RDA or fight a guy like Khabib because he would get wrecked and those fights wouldnt do numbers on PPV.

We've seen time and time again that the fighters who beat these huge draws dont necessarily get that popularity/PPV rub. Overeem and Cain after beating Lesnar never did, Weidman after his 2 wins over Anderson Silva didnt. Holly Holm may have with the Ronda win, I guess we'll see in a couple months when she headlines the next FOX show against a pretty unknown opponent.

I think the UFC will come to terms with Nate for this McGregor rematch but it wont be half of what hes asking(if those rumors are really true) and that will probably be the last time we see Nate in the UFC win or lose.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  13. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

May 27, 2016
    I'm not betting against Jalen Rose. I think this happens.

Poohdini and Mike Tyson like this.
    Poohdini and Mike Tyson like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  14. Mikey

May 27, 2016
    I have no clue what McGregor is talking about saying Mayweather needs him. Mayweather 1 year ago had the biggest fight of all time & could have a rematch,Fight Canelo or Golovkin.

Also if the fight happened & was for 12 rounds it would be disastrous for McGregor's career. He would either get a 12 round beatdown or a bad KO.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  15. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

May 20, 2017

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  16. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

May 21, 2017

Ordinary Joel and pluto✰ like this.
    Ordinary Joel and pluto✰ like this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  17. theg

theg got that pma

May 21, 2017
    to be fair they told him to legit punch big show in the face for that as hard as he could to sell the match

eddie313 likes this.
    eddie313 likes this.
    Apr 23, 2024
  18. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

May 26, 2017
    Imagine this happening and paying for it lol people are dumb.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  19. TimmyT

TimmyT The Bride

May 26, 2017
    Can't stand Mayweather

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
  20. Mikey

Jun 13, 2017
    A massive cross-codes clash between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor looks set to take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on August 26.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission have added the date in question to their upcoming professional calender as Mayweather Promotions gear up to host the event at the boxing capita

McGregor has already revealed on social media a big announcement is on it's way, whilst Mayweather has begun training for what will be a 50th professional contest for the ex-pound for pound king.

Details of the event on the NSAC website are as follows:

Boxing Event

When: Saturday, 26 Aug 2017
    Where: MGM Grand Garden Arena, 217 Audrie St, Las Vegas, NV 89109, USA (map)

Description

Mayweather Promotions will promote a professional boxing event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. This event will be televised on Showtime.

[​IMG]

Veteran Mayweather, 40, had initial been expected to aim for September 16, but with the Gennady Golovkin v Canelo Alvarez clash taking that spot recently, the boxing v MMA encounter looks to have been brought forward.

The fight is expected to be worth around half a billion dollars when it goes live on Showtime at the end of the summer and could see Mayweather overtake Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0, which he currently shares with the heavyweight legend.

For 'The Notorious' McGregor, the opportunity is unprecidented as the UFC champion gets to trade blows with the best boxer of a generation on his pro debut.

More is set to be revealed in the next few days, with an official annoucement said to be possible this week.

0 0
    Apr 23, 2024
Live Thread