MC Lyte Labels Fetty Wap A Hip Hop Feminist

Started by Ordinary Joel, Nov 24, 2015, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 24, 2015
    Article Source: HipHopDX - http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.36381/title.mc-lyte-labels-fetty-wap-a-hip-hop-feminist

by DANIELLE HARLING on November 23rd 2015

[​IMG]

Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean and others, conscious of women in their music, according to MC Lyte.

During a White House Council on Women and Girls-hosted discussion on feminism in Hip Hop, which featured Angie Martinez,MC Lyte, Beverly Bond, and others as panelists, those on the panel were asked if it’s possible to be a Hip Hop feminist.

New Jersey rapper Fetty Wap was specifically brought into the conversation after one panelist shared a story of the musician being labeled a Hip Hop feminist.

MC Lyte chimed in on the argument, and shared her belief that Fetty Wap is in fact a Hip Hop feminist. She also named Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, Common, and Talib Kweli as other Hip Hop artists who take women into consideration in their music.

“I think you can,” MC Lyte said in response to the question. “And I agree. At this point in time it probably is Fetty Wap. What I mean is that he may have a very unique way of presenting his ideas, but he does love women…For what he’s up against in this climate with all of the other emcees, he’s taking a stand. He’s being pretty courageous right now with what it is that he presents in his music. Because it’s really not the norm. When I was trying to write down a few people that may have said something. Now there’s of course Kendrick, right? And then there’s Big Sean. He raps about his grandma. Any man that raps about his grandma you gotta show some love to. And then of course there’s Common and Talib.”

MC Lyte also spoke on the importance of taking responsibility and accountability into consideration with one’s lyrics and content.

“What I will say is that we need to give a few of these good men a chance in hoping that they will develop to be something else in the future,” she said. “I know that when I first started I used a whole lot of profanity. I wasn’t good at communicating, so I just used what I knew. And the more you understand that you’re not just rocking for the block, that these words are going out across the entire globe. You at that point have to take responsibility and accountability. And I just think for Fetty Wap and some of these guys that I mentioned, that they really are on the forefront of what could be a great change in Hip Hop.”

CODEiNE DEMON likes this.
    CODEiNE DEMON likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. CODEiNE DEMON

CODEiNE DEMON One foot stuck in the tarpit of my ways

Nov 24, 2015
    Never thought about it that way but it makes sense

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Lucy

Lucy #1

Nov 24, 2015
    Love how she mentions Big Sean. She's gonna feel like a Big fucken-idiot when she hears songs of his like this

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Nov 24, 2015
    She mentions Big Sean but no J Cole? Or Drake? Sheesh

Deadpool and K18 El Duderino like this.
    Deadpool and K18 El Duderino like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Nov 24, 2015
    Girl, I'ma hit it like a dog
    Girl, Then I'ma pass her to my dogs

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Nov 24, 2015
    let's not start this

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Big Mitch

Nov 24, 2015
    Start what? They rap about women all the time, which is "taking women into consideration in their music"

Not claiming their feminists, idk if they are or not, but by her definition they certainly fit the category.

Deadpool likes this.
    Deadpool likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Nov 24, 2015
    drake is not a feminist lol the women in his songs are props for his own neuroses/etc

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Big Mitch

Nov 24, 2015
    not saying he is a feminist, i just thought by what the article said, it made sense to mention drake and j cole because i hear them "take women into consideration" far more than kendrick does.

i'm aware that's not necessarily the point of the article, and i was half asleep when i posted that, but when i read that line i was like really? big sean comes into your head before drake or j cole? that's what i meant by it. i wasn't trying to claim drake or j cole feminists... but if what i quoted is what they used to define feminist, which now i'm starting to realize isn't true, they are.

Deadpool likes this.
    Deadpool likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Nov 24, 2015
    "taking women into consideration" means giving them identities and agency. drake doesn't do that. j. cole doesn't do that. that's fine--neither did tons of great rappers--but let's not confuse the two things.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. Big Mitch

Nov 24, 2015
    taking women into consideration in their music, to me, is when a person takes into consideration the effect of one's music and the effects it has on women. even after she mentions the rappers, she talks about "the importance of taking responsibility and accountability into consideration with one's lyrics and content." i think both rappers definitely do take women into consideration, more so drake on take care than his other music.

i don't think they mean "giving women identities and agency" when they say taking women into consideration.

ps, which i just watched the video, and they did mention j cole. he was just left out of the article for some reason.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024