Nay Nay & Bryan Mahon - "Undefined"

Started by Nay Nay, Aug 5, 2016, in Creative Add to Reading List

1. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 5, 2016
    I'm extremely happy to announce that I just released my new 5 song collaborative EP with my friend Bryan Mahon! We formed a rapper-singer duo and have developed a unique style that bridges the gap between genres, allowing us to connect to fans from multiple backgrounds. The entire EP is done completely by us, all original lyrics, all real instruments. The only track that includes anything outside from Bryan and I is the violin that is done on the second track, which was done by my friend Eric Stanley. Take a listen, if you like what you hear please spread it around, maybe even purchase it on iTunes or wherever you digitally buy music! Artwork by me, with title lettering done by @jhgfx (he also helped with the back cover as well). We put a lot of work into this project, and I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think!
    Listen on Soundcloud:

Listen on BandCamp

Stream on Spotify:

Buy on iTunes:
    http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1135702470?ls=1&app=itunes

Living In The Image Music Video:

@CreativeSXN

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 5, 2016
    @rapmusik @Bman @csw621 @BigCountry @fiddster @Creation @Ordinary Joel @Daniel Shaw @Cyreides @marshmallow @SHUDEYE @mdemaz @Translucent @Koolo @threee @Jordan @FreeAgent @J WALK @DetroitSkills @RickGrimes @Chigzzer @Jet✞ @Posh P @The Last Son @TheBlackSheep
    You guys have shown love for some of my previous music, mind checking this out? It is a different sound from me with acoustic music instead of beats, but I'm interested to see what y'all think of it.

Apr 19, 2024
  3. rapmusik

Aug 5, 2016
    I'll probably check it out sometime in the morning!

Nay Nay likes this.
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 5, 2016
    Appreciate it man! The entire project is only like 18 minutes long so you wont have to dedicate a lot of time in order to check it out :emoji_thumbsup:

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Aug 5, 2016
    I'll give it a suss when i can it's friday night here in aus so I'm gettin f----- right now

Nay Nay and Charlton01 like this.
    Nay Nay and Charlton01 like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Charlton01

Aug 5, 2016
    +ves
    - I think the project length was good, nice and short time investment for new listeners to hear what you're about and get a feel for your sound.
    - Great sounds, loved the guitar riffs and rythms and live acoustic instruements throughout the project, very nice, relatively warm sounding instruments around.
    - the project was very consistent with cohesive sounds and themes
    - great artwork
    - good work getting it on spotify, itunes + soundcloud, easy to access is good!
    - you have a decent music video

-ves
    Although I usually love fusions of genres, I think it takes a lot to get it all right and really pull it off, else you risk of having too much of one or the other.
    In this case, to me, it sounded like a singer-songwriters EP who has a rapper thats showing up a lot on his project.

This is mainly due to the sound of the project, now, while I did enjoy the sound, it didn't appeal to the hip hop side of me, it really just appealed to the part of me that plays the guitar, so I appreciated that, but when skimming over the project, I barely heard any drums appearing except for one or two songs, and when they did, the grooves weren't reminiscent of hip hop. So I feel that this was more of a singers album more than anything. Infact if i were really to classify it I would probably say it fits within the indie rock pop genre (if thats even a thing! ahahah).

Now, while there is absolutely nothing wrong with going for the sound you want and what you think sounds good, I just hope that the efforts of this fusion did not have a "greater reach" as major motivation to do this project. Cause if I were to hear this project anywhere else, I'd probably skim through it, hear the general sound and tune out because it sounded too pop for me... but thats just me.

Also, I'm not 100% sure here, but if you were the only one rapping and your friend was the only one singing, your fans are only probably going to be there for one or the other, and in this case I think they be there more for the singer, not because he's better than you, but because I think the general sound and feel of the EP was more of the singer songwriter genre to me, I would have personally liked to hear more influences drawn out from hip hop audible in the projects.

I hope you don't feel like im attacking you or your music, I'm just giving you my unfiltered opinion.

Hope my feedback if useful to you dude, keep doing ya thing!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. CSW

CSW Member 3461

Aug 5, 2016
    i like the flow and delivery

multis are insane

work on enunciation

the acoustic sound works really well for your voice

living in the image reminds me of cheeseburger in paradise
    :biz:

Nay Nay likes this.
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Base Reality

Base Reality AKA Chewie

Aug 5, 2016
    This all looks dope, I'll give it a listen in a bit.... Is is streamable on Apple Music?

Nay Nay likes this.
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 5, 2016
    Aye, turn up! Let me know when you get the chance to listen!

It means a lot that you really gave it a good listen through and wrote all that up. I don't feel like you are attacking me at all, I'm always looking to receive feedback on my work! I appreciate all the positive comments, and as for the genre situation I completely see where you are coming from! That's a big reason why I am not promoting this EP as a "Hip-hop" EP, because even though I rap on every song, it is not a rap album. I noticed that well before this was released and it was intentional. I have completely hip-hop projects, I have done those before (see Lost In Space) and I wanted to try something different. This takes elements from different genres, such as alternative, acoustic, indie, pop, and hip-hop (but when choosing the genre for iTunes and such I decided Alternative would be the best fit considering how broad of a category that is). I promote myself as a hip-hop artist and songwriter, so I guess it is fitting that you would consider this a singer/songwriter genre (especially since this is a collaboration project with my singer/songwriter friend). I would have probably been more comfortable personally if there were more hip-hop influences on the tracks, but I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and try something that was different. It's expected that not everybody would be drawn to this type of genre, and even though it wasn't exactly your thing, I really appreciate you taking the time to listen. Be on the lookout for my next stuff, I have a solo single that is entirely hip-hop and it is one of the best tracks I think I have made, it's hype!

Thanks man! I will work on the enunciation, and I've heard that the acoustic sound suits me well from quite a few people actually haha. Never heard the cheeseburger in paradise comparison though lol, I'm gunna have to re-listen to that cause I can't picture any resemblance to it

CSW likes this.
    CSW likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 5, 2016
    Yes it is! Let me know what you think!

Base Reality likes this.
    Base Reality likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. CSW

CSW Member 3461

Aug 5, 2016
    for how long have you been working on things like inverses start rhymes assonance etc because that's all really well developed

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 5, 2016
    I first started writing raps for fun when I was like 15 but it wasn't anything serious (or even good at that time lol). I am 21 now, so total it's been about 6 years that I've been writing raps. I never worked specifically on things like what you have mentioned, all of those elements have always come naturally for me during the writing process. Like I don't necessarily have to focus on them or think about forcing those literary techniques into my lines, it just kind of happens without much thought. I've always done really well in English classes, so I think I just have like a writer's mindset or something haha. The struggle for me was learning how to flow and develop my delivery. Both of those things have improved a lot since I began recording music, and I don't have much struggle with flow anymore, but I'm still trying to perfect my delivery. I'm glad you noticed all those things are incorporated into my writing though, I feel like most people don't even realize it lol

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 14, 2016
    Threw together a quick little visual for "Life Without You", check it out:

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Creation

Creation By Any Means

Aug 14, 2016
    Going to listen to this tonight when i get back home!

Nay Nay likes this.
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  15. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 14, 2016
    I've been looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

Creation likes this.
    Creation likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  16. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 15, 2016
    Just got word that the third song "Brand New Day" is going to be played on the radio tonight! I'm so hype right now!

rapmusik, Ordinary Joel and Deadpool like this.
    rapmusik, Ordinary Joel and Deadpool like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Aug 17, 2016
    It was mind-blowing hearing our track on the radio, now I just got word that we will be having a live tv performance on Friday August 26th as a segment on our local news station! It will all be recorded and posted on their website so I will share that with y'all when it is!
    @rapmusik @SHUDEYE @MW Music @Creation Have you guys given it a spin yet? I'm curious to hear what you guys think of it

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  18. rapmusik

Aug 17, 2016
    that's dope!

Nay Nay likes this.
    Nay Nay likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024