Wii U Discussion Thread

Started by The Lyricvore, Nov 30, 2014, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. mdemaz

mdemaz Molasses

Apr 21, 2015
    Wii U has got some really good games; I could care less about the hardware.

Was actually shocked when I saw the library a while ago.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Loyalty

Loyalty we go hard on earth

Jul 29, 2015
    This thread is getting a healthy bump. Got a Wii U this past weekend, it was on sale at Target for $260. So far I only have Super Mario 3D World and Nintendoland (they came with it), but I'm looking forward to Super Mario Maker and I'll probably get Smash Bros.

My only achievement so far is getting to level 26 on Yoshi Fruit Cart haha.

Any Wii U owners left here? Game suggestions please!

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jul 29, 2015
    s--- system but i'll eventually cop for the few mario games out on it exclusively, unless of course by some magic they get re-released for NX so I can skip this gen (they won't though)

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Loyalty

Jul 31, 2015
    If anyone's interested, IGN's doing a live preview play of Super Mario Maker:

Code:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/07/31/ign-plays-live-presents-super-mario-maker-073115
    45 more minutes I think.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  5. truthless

truthless Today is the day I follow my intuition

Jul 31, 2015
    I definitely suggest you to buy Splatoon. The game is freaking good. My most played game since MAY lol. Nintendo also really cares about the game, as it gets updates very regularly. There will be a HUGE update in August. Definitely not a burn out game.
    But you should find a little gamer group to play with. Like from online forums etc. Simply because it does make more fun IMO. If you got Splatoon (And SSBU or MK8 too), feel free to add me ->shady06. My Mii name is truth.

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  6. Mr Rager

Mr Rager Nina Chop

Jul 31, 2015
    I've been dabbling in this

Definitely entertaining

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  7. Clive

Clive Mind Over Matter And Soul Before Flesh

Aug 2, 2015
    I don't have a Wii U but this s--- looks amazing. So nostalgic with the Super Mario World to. I LOVED that game.

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  8. SuckedMartysDick

Aug 3, 2015
    I can only recommend Wind Waker HD and Bayonetta 2 since they're the only games I still play on it. Bayonetta 2 also comes with Bayonetta 1.

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  9. SuckedMartysDick

Aug 3, 2015
    This game looks like its gonna end up like Little Big Planet. Making levels will wind up taking way too much time and effort, and the user-created levels will run their course in a month. Only thing that will keep it afloat is Mario.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  10. Loyalty

Aug 4, 2015
    I watched the 2 hour live stream on IGN and the game looks super fun and intuitive. They actually used this game (before it was a game) to build levels themselves on recent Mario games.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into these

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  11. Clive

Aug 6, 2015
    I was over at a friend's place yesterday, he recently bought a Wii U. Wow, we played for hours of Smash, Mario 3D Worlds and Mario Kart 8. I was surprised at how great it really was. MK8 felt so nostalgic with all the courses we were unlocking and the music being remade or updated.

I was considering getting one last summer but now I'm really considering getting one possibly this weekend :O

EDIT: Bought one yesterday, got Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D Worlds & Nintendoland. Link & Black Yoshi in Mario Kart? Sheeeeeeit

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Loyalty and Meero like this.
    Loyalty and Meero like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  12. Loyalty

Aug 13, 2015
    New longer trailer for Super Mario Maker, it looks awesome. There's so much you can do. I think I could spend hours doing the 100 Mario challenge of online courses, besides building courses myself

[​IMG]

Clive likes this.
    Clive likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  13. Clive

Aug 13, 2015
    I could literally get lost in just creating and playing levels in the Super Mario World design. When this game comes out I'm going to try to make some levels and make a thread for us Wii U players to add stuff in!

EDIT: I do like that the other stuff unlocks over some time. I know I'll probably disagree with my statement here come September but it allows you to get a grasp of the basic tools first before creating saw crazy levels lol.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  14. Loyalty

Aug 13, 2015
    Nice! I'll definitely participate in that, and hopefully we can play each other's levels. I like that new tools are introduced each day so it's not overwhelming

I just got Smash Bros to hold me over for a month. There's tons of modes and online play, and although it's fun, I know Super Mario Maker will take over next month. Going to preorder it when I get my credit card rewards gift card here soon :emoji_thumbsup:

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  15. Prosciutto

Prosciutto a tarda notte al centro commerciale

Aug 13, 2015
    Is it worth buying? How far on the nostalgia chart does it make you?

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  16. Clive

Aug 13, 2015
    I really put off buying one for a while. I was going to buy one last year when a friend bought one and said it was amazing. I had a Wii but never really played it aside from the exclusives (New Mario Bros Wii, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye 007, Zelda Skyward Sword). I never got to play Galaxy 2 as I didn't end up finishing Galaxy 1 nor did I open up Zelda sadly as I'm more of a playstation player.

I went to a friends last week and legit played 5 hours of Smash, Mario Kart and 3D Worlds. It was awesome! Super fun. I'll give a quick pros and possible cons to it below from me as a new user (most game specific will be geared towards Mario Kart as it's all I played so far).

Pros:
    -The price isn't as expensive compared to PS4/X-Box One. Here in Canada a Wii U with 3D Worlds & Nintendoland is 299.99. A PS4 here is 449.99.
    -You can play your Wii games on it (backward compatible).
    -Virtual Console allows for you to play old classics. Albeit it could get pricey as I got my eye on Super Mario World (7.99) & Yoshi's Island (7.99) right now.
    -Mario Kart 8 in particular is so nostalgic. In the base game there is 8 cups with 4 tracks per cup (32 tracks total). 4 cups have fresh new tracks while the other 4 have classics that are updated. The music is the same but updated to that crisper new sound. I'm not saying the music is different or killed either. Donut Plains 3 is AMAZING because the song it plays is the SNES Donut Plains which SNES Mario Kart is legit my favourite Mario Kart. See video below
    - There are other classic courses as well including Rainbow Road from N64.
    - Now, you can buy the 2 DLC bundle pack (14.99) which gives you 6 new racers, 8 new vehicles and 4 more cups! (16 courses) which have some other redesigns in it such as SNES Rainbow Road.
    - With the above pack you also get 8 colours of Yoshi & Shy Guy, so if you like skins and little details like that it's awesome.
    - I'd definitely say the Wii U is more accessible if you have family gatherings, girlfriend etc. come over. The games are fun and easy to get a handle one.
    - Super Mario Maker.... it's pretty much one of the reasons I bought it. It's going to be nuts lol.

Cons:
    - If you're more hardcore into gaming it won't be your primary console. I have a PS4 and KNOW I'll be playing that more as it has sport games and other titles I'm interested in.
    - Games don't come out as much... Again like the WIi there's not too much of a selection hence the exclusives being powerful
    - Deals....Nintendo games RARELY go on sale. I like to save a buck or two when buying games. I don't really ever see Nintendo games go on sale often and when I say Nintendo I mean the exclusives.
    -Pricing on things, the Wii Motes go for 37-48 bucks here, a nunchuk is 24.99. Also it seems you can't buy Gamepads either (the main controller you'll use with your console)

DKC was my favourite Wii game I know Tropical Freeze is going to be awesome so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

TL: DR version The nostalgia chart would be 9.5/10. Classic games I love growing up are accessible through virtual console. It's great when you have friends over, family or the good ol' gf. Mario Kart REALLY is as good as they say it is. It does have online as well for Smash Bros & Mario Kart. Smash also has 8 player Smash now which if you really like that game then check it out.

Comparison of SNES & MK8 Donut Plains with audio

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  17. Clive

Aug 17, 2015
    Holy s--- at 200 CC Mario Kart. Tried Mushroom Cup and that is intense. Finished 4th in the standings but Daaaamn lol.

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  18. Loyalty

Aug 17, 2015
    @Clive you're making me want to get Mario Kart next. Are you playing that 200 CC online? Smash Bros online is way competitive, but I did manage to get in the top 4 in a 16 player tourney, it was pretty fun.

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  19. ACP

ACP

Aug 17, 2015
    The games I have been playing most lately are Splatoon, Smash Bros. and Earthbound. Splatoon is awesome, and the best part is they are constantly updating it with new weapons, modes and gear all the time and it's free. I love Smash Bros. because it just has so much content and they are expanding it with DLC stages, characters, modes and costumes. And if you're like me and like collecting things, there's 100's of hours of game play. Earthbound is a classic JRPG worth checking out.

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  20. Clive

Aug 17, 2015
    I have nt played it online yet no. I finished all the cups on 100 CC. Some of which I got 3 stars (first on all 4 races) and others where I got 0 stars but won a first place trophy. So I was trying to get more stars. I recently stepped up to 150 CC and though I did great on Mushroom and Flower cup I didn't do so well on Star Cup. I think I finished 4th in the standings. It was some tough stuff haha.

I'll try online once I have everything unlocked and also know the tracks better as I hear people online got shortcuts down like it's nothing and have every little car part unlocked. I just finished unlocking all the racers last night.

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024