NBA NBA Discussion Thread

Started by Mike Tyson, Nov 24, 2014, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Chad Warden

Chad Warden As Ballin As Possible

Oct 7, 2015
    Derrick plays cautiously, no doubt in Chad's mind he's slept on because he is conserving, playing smart.

Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Kon

Kon

Oct 7, 2015
    Lakers looked good last night in their 2nd pre season game, almost everyone played well. Russel went down with a scary play but apparently it's nothing, he didn't play anymore though. Kobe did well and had the right mix of shooting and setting others up, looked good on defense too. Hibbert and Randle played great.

Mar 29, 2024
  3. pluto✰

pluto✰ where the opioids?

Oct 7, 2015
    yeah, I was just looking at the highlights. he's splitting through defense and getting in reverse lay ups with ease. very 2011 d rose esque.

been known it was his team since last season but the $95 million deal is what sealed that and he knows.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 7, 2015
    Especially when you compare it to the recklessness he played with before the injuries.
    Yeah and I think the team is starting to realize it too. Honestly not much of a stretch to say he could finish the season as a top 10 player in the league.

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Oct 7, 2015
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-account-of-the-gilbert-arenas-gun-incident/

Really good read on the gun incident that ended Gilbert Arenas' career. (From Caron Butler's new book) If you have 5 minutes. I suggest reading.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. pluto✰

Oct 7, 2015
    :wow2:

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

Ordinary Joel and pluto✰ like this.
    Ordinary Joel and pluto✰ like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 7, 2015
    Uh oh.
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...utler-hasnt-thrilled-derrick-roses-work-ethic

The Jimmy Butler-Derrick Rose so-called feud needed some clarity.

It was provided Wednesday, as a former member of the Bulls said in a phone interview, “Personally, the two are great. Professionally is where they have a difference of opinion.’’

According to the source, Butler considers Rose a friend, but “doesn’t have a lot of respect for his work ethic.’’ In Butler’s mind, Rose was considered the face of the franchise, and if the face of the franchise wasn’t busting his butt in practice every day, especially last season, what was the message to the rest of the team?

“We all saw this coming,’’ the source said.

The source said that Butler also took note of a Rose comment in the playoffs last season, in which the Bulls point guard was asked if Butler had reached superstar status, and responded, “I think it’s going to take a little minute for Jimmy to get there.’’

That explains Butler coming into this season, beating his chest about a lack of leadership and how he’s the one willing to change that. And it’s been more than just words.

“I’m telling you, the amount of work he puts in … even during two-a-days, he would still come in a third time,’’ coach Fred Hoiberg said of Butler. “I mean the guys is unbelievable how much energy he has. He’s just so dedicated to putting the right things in his body, his training, and he wants to continue to add to his game every year. I take my hat off to him. It’s been fun to see everything he’s been able to do out there on the floor.’’

Butler’s teammates have noticed as well. It was Butler who grabbed Doug McDermott this summer, and brought him to San Diego to work out. And it’s been Butler that’s been getting all the young guys in the gym for extra work.

Butler is basically all in on trying to become the superstar that Rose has never understood how to be.

“I was fortunate enough, I played with a guy you might remember named Kevin Garnett,’’ Hoiberg said. “He was one of the best. Everyone followed because of the amount of time guys like that put in the gym. It’s not an accident that guys like that are superstars. When Michael [Jordan] played here, that was another great example of a guy that just pulled everyone with him. And Jimmy wants that.

“He wants to assume that role with leadership, getting guys with him. He had Doug with him for a couple weeks in San Diego, working out with him, and I think that’s a testament to what he wants to do as far as team goals, when you’ve got a guy that’s one of the best players in the league that also works the hardest.’’

A work ethic that Butler won’t be putting the brakes on anytime soon, even with a new five-year, $95-million contract signed this offseason.

“It’s something I have to do if I want to try and take this team to the next step, the next level,’’ Butler said of taking the lead. “Obviously, the ultimate goal is a championship, but I got to bring something new every year. And I just think that leadership this year is key because I’ve been going so hard in practice.

“Teams, they follow. My teammates follow what I do. If I’m in practice and I put my hands on my knees, I’m [ticked] off, they look at me and, ‘Oh, Jimmy’s doing it, I can do it.’ It’s contagious. It’s a building block, but contract or not, I still have to lead.’’

Big Mitch likes this.
    Big Mitch likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. pluto✰

Oct 7, 2015
    :lmaooo:

Mar 29, 2024
  10. pluto✰

Oct 7, 2015
    jimmy butler nike deal otw

its crazy rose used to be my favorite player and that's how I even became a Bulls fan but at this point, I almost couldnt care less if he left after his contract. if he does stay healthy this year, it'll be interesting to see how him and jimmy play together though given this new turmoil between the two.

also pretty excited about McDermott, he did his thing last night. I hope Hoidberg gives his minutes cause Thibadeou never gave any of the rookies minutes, ever.

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 7, 2015
    I feel where Derrick's coming from though. He became my favorite player in the league the second he got drafted. This is his city, his team, and for some reason he's had a black cloud over him ever since he won MVP. Bittersweet is probably the best word I could use to describe it. Mentally he still is that guy, but physically I just don't know if he's capable. This is a make or break year for Pooh IMO.

pluto✰ likes this.
    pluto✰ likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 8, 2015

Sun Times trying to tear our boys apart. They're gonna challenge Steph & Klay for best back court. If only they had a nickname as good as splash brothers though.

pluto✰ likes this.
    pluto✰ likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Oct 8, 2015
    ^Banking on a healthy Rose? lol

Mar 29, 2024
  14. Flacko

Flacko Too Blessed To Be Humble

Oct 9, 2015

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Oct 9, 2015
    I wouldn't say banking, cautiously optimistic is probably how I'd describe it. If healthy I see no reason why they wouldn't be in that discussion, both of them averaged 20+ in the playoffs last year. 2nd year back from major injury is almost always when you see players start to resemble their pre-injury form. Not saying he's gonna be throwing down 2 handed reverse dunks, but if he plays 65-70 games I think he'll be an all star.

Mar 29, 2024
  16. Flacko

Oct 10, 2015

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Flacko

Oct 10, 2015

Mar 29, 2024
  18. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Oct 10, 2015
    IDK how into stats and stuff you guys are, but this new FiveThirtyEight CARMELO thing is dope. It identifies similar players throughout NBA history and uses them to develop a probabilistic forecast of what a current NBA player’s future might look like.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/

been fooling around with it for the past 30 minutes.

Mar 29, 2024
  19. TimmyT

TimmyT The Bride

Oct 10, 2015
    glad b-ball is back! :)

i saw the lakers vs. wizards at the verizon center last season

i'm definitely gonna get back to the verizon center again this year----i'll probably go see the cavs this time

Poohdini and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Oct 13, 2015
    Ya I'm ready for basketball to be back. Marcus Smart is gonna have a breakout year, take that to the bank.

Really miss the NBA on NBC theme music

Mar 29, 2024
Live Thread