Kobe Bryant Officially Announces This Will Be His Final Season via The Player's Tribune

Started by Poohdini, Nov 29, 2015, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Kon

Kon

Nov 29, 2015
    Also that was a cool way to announce his retirement, I like it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Nov 29, 2015
    At least now he can get some proper acknowledgement from away crowds. I know I'll be there when they come to chicago in 2016.

Kon likes this.
    Kon likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. Kon

Kon

Nov 29, 2015
    Yep, on a selfish note I kinda wish he announced this like 2 days ago so my game last night could have been a huge ovation for him at the end..But still I already basically treated it like it might have been the last time I see him live, cuz you just never know..I mean any game at this point could technically be his last game if he has a serious enough injury. So when he was taken out of the game with a minute or so left, I was ready and stood up and applauded him like crazy as he walked to the bench just 15-20 feet away from me or so. He got a nice ovation (especially considering it's Portland), but it could have been more.

He's playing again tonight by the way which is surprising since he had heavy minutes last night, but it's a good sign if his body can handle it...Maybe I'll get lucky and see him again in Portland in January. Strongly gonna consider going to the very last game though.

Poohdini and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. 6ixgawd

6ixgawd Banned

Nov 29, 2015
    GOATBE :mjcry:

Nori, Mike Tyson, Poohdini and 2 others like this.
    Nori, Mike Tyson, Poohdini and 2 others like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. Kon

Kon

Nov 29, 2015
    Here's one of my favorite Kobe mix videos by the way, I usually don't like these mix videos a ton but thought this one was really good. I would link a youtube video but I can't find it on there anymore, it was on youtube for a long time but may have got taken down or something..But anyways I found it, definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it, it's a ton of great plays and basically shows them in sections, like it has dunks first for example, then goes onto other stuff.

Apr 24, 2024
  6. reservoirGod

reservoirGod reckless adventurer.

Nov 29, 2015
    Well, bye.

DetroitDGAF likes this.
    DetroitDGAF likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  7. GCozza

Nov 29, 2015
    I wanna cop some Kobe's before the prices s---t up

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  8. Mike02

Nov 29, 2015
    That would be great. I tried to do that at the end of Iverson's career when he came back to Philly. Spent hundreds of dollars on box seats and a party bus and then he didn't even play.

asvdawg, Kon and Ordinary Joel like this.
    asvdawg, Kon and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  9. Mike02

Nov 29, 2015
    Good decision by Kobe to make it official though. Peyton Manning should make a similar announcement tbh.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. Kon

Kon

Nov 29, 2015
    That sucks man, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I know Kobe will play if at all possible since it would be his last game and he's been known for his toughness and playing through injuries (at least until the last few years when he had injuries you can't play through), but if it's something very serious then he may not have a choice. I don't remember the AI situation but why didn't he play? Injury I assume?

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. Criza Malone Hamilton

Criza Malone Hamilton Check the birthdate. n*gga you ain't Ric Flair

Nov 29, 2015
    Bought laker at denver tickets instantly.
    Ill be behind the laker bench

:sad2: :kdotcry:

Nori, The Mack and Kon like this.
    Nori, The Mack and Kon like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  12. Mike02

Nov 29, 2015
    He went on a "family leave" because his daughter was sick. Missed the last couple months of the season. Alot of people think his alcohol and gambling issues played a part in it too though. He never played in the NBA again after that.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  13. The Mack

Nov 30, 2015
    I teared up.

Kon and Poohdini like this.
    Kon and Poohdini like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  14. The Product

Nov 30, 2015
    His last game will be in Philly on Tuesday when the sixers are tribute get Moses Malone at halftime.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  15. Kon

Kon

Nov 30, 2015
    Well f---, tickets for his last game in staples are already up to 500 bux a piece on stubhub, guess I'm not gonna go the game after all lol..

Gotta hope he plays in the last game in Portland I guess, but I don't know if he will or not.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  16. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Nov 30, 2015
    I'm hoping for the same thing here. I got tickets for the christmas day game here in Chicago last year, and Byron f---ing Scott decided to wait until 15 min before game time to announce he wasn't playing. He's playing a back to back in Chicago & Milwaukee in March, can't see him playing both but I'm shooting for one.

Kon likes this.
    Kon likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  17. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Nov 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

Apr 24, 2024
  18. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Nov 30, 2015
    Reactions from around the league.

paugasol #ThankYouKobe

theofficialai3 Congratulations on a great career from one of your biggest fans. You've always been a top competitor with a big heart. Much love, AI

teamswish One of the most under appreciated players to ever play is saying goodbye to the game he gave his all! Everyone has their own opinion on him, his game, how many shots he shoots, he's the reason why Shaq left or whatever! He always remained true to the game! Extra shots✔️ Weight room ✔️ treatment for his body✔️watching film✔️ true student of the game! Goes without saying 1 of the GREATEST TO EVER DO IT! #ThankYouKobe

g_hender09 I'll let the cat out of the bag finally....Kobe was my favorite player growing up..... Shocker? lol Kids, make sure you are your favorite player first but it's always good to have someone else to look up to #RESPECT#SALUTE#KOBE

willthethrillb5 The only basketball player I ever idolized, wanted to be like, & play like. Thanks for everything you taught me. How to be a champion, how to overcome adversity, how to dedicate ya self to your passion. Watching ya highlights got me through high school, college, & even gets me motivated to this day. The things you went through in your personal life showing you are still human when I thought you were a supreme being & came out stronger helped me realize you don't have to be perfect to accomplish ya dreams & you can bounce back from anything if you are determined. Ya determination & will is second to none & I'll always admire that about you. I'll never forget our conversation & cherish it forever .....Thanks for everything to the greatest basketball player of all time Kobe Bryant. The game will never be the same.

Wayne Ellington:
    As a kid growing up in Philadelphia, Nets guard Wayne Ellington had a special connection with Bryant, who began to make his legend at Lower Merion High School in the Philly suburbs. But that connection only grew stronger last season, when Ellington spent the year playing alongside Bryant with the Lakers.

“It meant a lot,” Ellington said after the Nets beat the Pistons in Brooklyn Sunday night. “He’s a guy that inspired me, honestly. As a young kid, to get out there, I used to be out there on the court trying to be Kobe. Man, it’s crazy that he’s going to hang it up, but at the same time, he’s leaving a legacy that’s unbelievable. Especially just his generation.

“Kobe is, in my mind, the best player in our generation, our era so far, so it’s crazy that he’s going to go out, but at the same time, it’s a blessing. I’m sure he’s happy and he’s ready to spend some time with his family and relax. When we played them [earlier in November], though, he told me. I said, ‘I see I’ve got the family with you.’ He said, ‘Yeah, I’ve got the family. This is my last go-round.’ So that took me back a bit, too.”

Rondae Hollis Jefferson:
    Another Net with Philly ties, rookie Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, got the chance to live out his own personal dream during that Nets-Lakers game. Hollis-Jefferson, who had been hoping to meet Bryant for years, finally got the chance to do so.

“It was great to be in his presence, to hear from him,” Hollis-Jefferson said. “[For him] to tell me that he’s watching, he’s noticing … it means the world. It gives you a sense of hope that you can be something special. That’s all I’m trying to be, something special.”

Dwight Howard:
    Not everyone, however, was celebrating Bryant’s announcement. Houston center Dwight Howard, who had a contentious relationship with Bryant during their one season together in Los Angeles before Howard left the Lakers in free agency, was asked after Sunday’s Rockets-Knicks game what he’d learned from Bryant during their year as teammates.

“Did I learn something from him? Howard said, followed by a laugh and an uncomfortable pause. ”Oh, man … we’re going to go to the next question now.”

Prior to that, though, Howard was complimentary of Bryant, extolling his many accomplishments throughout his 20-year career.

“Oh, man. Kobe is one of the greatest to ever play the game,” Howard said. “He had an amazing career … it all comes to an end for all of us. He was somebody we all grew up watching. Seeing him go from the Afro to changing to another number to all that stuff … 81 points, he just had a very good career.

“He paved the way for so many players coming out of high school, and his work ethic, everything that he stands for on the court has been great. For, what, 20 years? That’s amazing, to play this game for a long time. I know it’ll probably be tough because he loves this game so much, but all of us have to face that reality one day, and I just wish him well.”

James Harden:
    “A legend,” Harden said in describing Bryant’s game. “I grew up watching him. He was my ‘MJ.’ Just for him to be done, for his last go-round, it’s sad. That’s the end of a dynasty. He had a really good run, but it comes to an end. He’s a monster. He’s a beast.

“He’s a warrior, man. He’s a competitor. I don’t think there will ever be another guy like him. The way he did it, he willed his teammates to victories, championships, things like that. It was a great story.”

Kevin Durant: “I did idolize Kobe Bryant. I studied him, wanted to be like him. He was our Michael Jordan. I watched Michael toward the end of his career with the Wizards and I seen that’s what Kobe emerged as the guy for us. I’ve been disappointed this year because you guys (media) treated him like s---. He’s a legend and all I hear is about how bad he’s playing, how bad he’s shooting, time for him to hang it up. You guys treated one of our legends like s--- and I didn’t really like it. Hopefully now you can start being nice to him now that he decided to retire after this year. It was sad the way he was getting treated. He had just an amazing career, a guy who changed the game for me as a player mentally and physically. Means so much to the game of basketball. Someone I’m always gonna look to advice for anything. Just a brilliant, brilliant, intelligent man. Sad to see him go. He put his mark on the game.”

ygtrece MOTIVATION! #MambaMondays

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Ordinary Joel, Kon and Mike Tyson like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Kon and Mike Tyson like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  19. Kon

Kon

Nov 30, 2015
    You gonna try to go to both games to be on the safe side or just wait till it's closer so you might know which one he plays in? But d--- you'd be seeing him with just a month or so left in his career, I'm sure it'd be an amazing moment. Hard to believe he skips the Bulls game cuz the Jordan history there and it being a great b ball town, plus he will want to say goodbye to Pau too I'm sure.

Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Poohdini like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  20. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Nov 30, 2015
    Probably just gonna wait until late December/January to decide. He was pretty disappointed he couldn't play here last season, so my thinking is unless he's injured he'll play. He had a great moment with Pau after the Christmas game at half court, got a picture saved on my phone I think.

Ordinary Joel and Kon like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Kon like this.
    Apr 24, 2024