People's racist Facebook comments are ending up on billboards near their homes

Started by Flacko, Dec 1, 2015, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Flacko

Flacko Too Blessed To Be Humble

Dec 1, 2015
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/peoples-racist-facebook-comments-ending-234400980.html

Racist commenters beware: Your words might show up in your own backyard.

A new campaign in Brazil is plastering billboards with racist Facebook comments. The point is not to expose anyone but to educate people that their words have a real impact.

The campaign, "Virtual racism, real consequences," is using the location tag from Facebook posts to find where the offenders live. The group is then buying billboard space in their neighborhoods, but blurring out the names and photos of the commenters.

Brazilian journalist Maria JĂșlia Coutinho was targeted by racist Facebook comments online. Coutinho, the first black weather forecaster on Brazilian prime-time television, corrected another anchor on air in July. When another news site praised her for getting the terminology correct, Facebook commenters responded with a torrent of comments against everything from her hair to her race.

The offensive comments range from telling her to "go f--- herself" to saying her nickname "Maju" made it clear she was from Africa.

The project is republishing those comments as a reminder that virtual bullying can have an impact in the real world.

"We omit names and faces of the authors because we have no intention of exposing anyone. We just want to educate people so that in future they think about the consequences before posting racist comments," the project says.

.[​IMG]
    (Racismo Virtual)
    The comment roughly translates to "If you showered, you wouldn't be so filthy."

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. boyz n the suburbs

boyz n the suburbs In my city, I'm a young God

Dec 1, 2015
    d---

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Alchemist34

Alchemist34 DO MY HEAD

Dec 1, 2015
    How is that comment racist

Anyway this seems like state sponsored bullying to me

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Five Star

Dec 2, 2015
    They shouldn't censor the names. Would make it even better.

JFK likes this.
    JFK likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024