Serious Something I want to say, or ask.

Started by Chad Warden, Dec 1, 2015, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Nori

Nori ☺ Deadpool is my deformed bousin☺

Dec 1, 2015
    Oh reconnect is one on one teaching?

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Dec 1, 2015
    As someone that majored in Psych it is concerning how immediate it's become to hand out medication instead of hands-on counseling/therapy. One of my internships in particular was one of the most gloomy environments I've ever been a part of; kids looked sick just being there and in most cases when I tried interacting with them they were just too drugged out to even speak. It's hard to fully grasp how big this issue is but I do think there is an appalling disregard as far as behavioral/social care goes.

Apr 24, 2024
  3. Chad Warden

Chad Warden As Ballin As Possible

Dec 1, 2015
    Not all the time. But it's much more one on one than high school. Kids work alone more often here. If they are struggling, they come to my desk or I go to there's, and we figure it out together using ABAP scripture.

Ordinary Joel and Nori like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Nori like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. Chad Warden

Dec 1, 2015
    I had a kid suffer from withdrawal symptoms in my class one day. His aRm was shaking, his eyes were wide open. I called his mom and told her he looked sick so he could go home.

He told me a few days later he was trying to quit his anxiety medication.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Dec 1, 2015
    Yeah thats the worst part about it, anything that involves messing around with your brain will do that.

I've learned that we can't help everyone but if you can help out at least 7 outta 16 people just know that you did make a colossal difference in bettering someone's life. Some people just need someone that listens to what they have to say.

Ordinary Joel and Chad Warden like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  6. CODEiNE DEMON

CODEiNE DEMON One foot stuck in the tarpit of my ways

Dec 1, 2015
    This. Sometimes my little brother comes home from a day of school where he had to take vyvanse in the morning and he just lays in bed all night, and I know he can't sleep because that s--- keeps you up, he just sits there not eating and being grumpy as s--- to anyone who tries to talk to him.

Thing is tho drug companies are like any other company, theyre about the money so they go around peddling to doctors telling them all the benefits while downplaying any side effects and pretending it's a safe substitute for proper psychological care.

Also I'd like to point out we live in a world where if a child gets bored and acts disruptive in a classroom, the first solution is "yeah let's medicate him until he doesn't have the willpower to do that anymore"

Apr 24, 2024
  7. CODEiNE DEMON

Dec 1, 2015
    I smiled irl reading that Chad Daddy is teaching kids in the Caddy tho.

Apr 24, 2024
  8. DKC

DKC hank trill

Dec 1, 2015
    Agree with the over-medicated part, but what makes women inherently better at secretarial work? What makes the school system "feminized"?

Enigma likes this.
    Enigma likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  9. CODEiNE DEMON

Dec 1, 2015
    Yeah, this.

I wasn't really following that whole part

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  10. lil uzi vert stan

Dec 1, 2015
    yeah, op has some good insights... i'm curious about the assumptions he draws tho

Enigma and Michael Myers like this.
    Enigma and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  11. Chad Warden

Dec 1, 2015
    In my one year there, females did better on tests. I taught religion and English. Many of the tests were just memorizing s--- and putting it onto paper.
    Females in the class excelled at this. Where they didn't do so well was on creative writing and group projects. The same males who weren't doing well on the fact tests, did very well with the creative projects. Many male students of mine only did the projects, just skipping the tests entirely.

This was further proven by the exam. Females did better at the fact checking questions, while the men did better at the creative assignment. This is not saying women aren't creative. They just learn differently. They treated school work much like clerical work. The males wanted to be given the freedom to do things their own way.

Of course, statistical outliers exist. Maybe in 2015 it's a sexist way to think, but IMO it just shows how men and women differentiate.

Apr 24, 2024
  12. Chad Warden

Dec 1, 2015
    To further this,men were far more disruptive during work time. Women could do the work without feeling horribly bored. They did better at not talking during work time. Men need direction. For example, more male students raised their hands to answer questions than my female students. When I, thr teacher, is engaging in conversation, the male students seem to be more interested. But once it is time to work independantly, they were much likely to ignore the work all together.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  13. Chad Warden

Dec 1, 2015
    Women also seem to be less likely to miss time. They don't get the f--- school mentality as easy as men do. Most of the girls who skipped class were dating s--- heads. Men who skipped class skipped for more reasons. The girls seemed to be absent for honest reasons, but the boys who missed class missed it because of an obvious drug problem, fights at home, or boredom. They were more likely to show up stoned, or to ditch class. Girls would ditch too,but not the same way. Often, boys would just get up and leave. Girls would say they had to use the bathroom and just walk around, meeting with friends or whatever.

Though this is just something I noticed during my one year.

Apr 24, 2024
  14. Chad Warden

Dec 1, 2015
    What makes it feminized is the ratio. The creative projects are few and far between. If I was to be 100%, I think genders should be segregated. Men and women are too different to try and blend them in. They are not equal mentally, both men and women think differently, both struggle differently and both would benefit from the lack of sexual distraction. I think they should be in the same school, just have a male English class and a female English class. The curriculum can be the same, just taught differently. Depriving them of contact with the opposite sex is wrong, they should be able to mingle with each other during lunch or spares, but if you think they learn the exact same way, you are simply lying to yourself.

It goes beyond the genders, though. The things we teach need to be adjusted. Both sexes need to be in an environment where they can become whatever they want to be. We teach these kids how to surivive, we need to teach them how to thrive.

SWERVO likes this.
    SWERVO likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  15. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Dec 1, 2015
    I agree with a lot of your points, especially about how girls/boys learn differently. I was one of those kids who couldn't sit still in class, wouldn't pay attention, ditch, you name it. In middle school my counselor called my parents & suggested adderall, and if it wasn't frowned upon I think my dad would have powerbombed her through her desk. It's an easy solution for everyone involved to just numb the kid out, but it ignores many of the deeper issues into why some kids (boys in particular) struggle in school.

Apr 24, 2024
  16. SWERVO

SWERVO big cuntry's alias

Dec 1, 2015
    With still being in high school now, I can agree with a lot of your points. I'm the kid that can't sit still and if I don't want to be there I'm not going to. The way we are taught things is beyond boring, the only class I've been able to take interest in this year is science and that is because we have been doing labs. Labs where we get to get up and figure s--- out on our own which is the real learning rather than sitting for an hour. There is some days where I pop an addy to get through the school day because I wouldn't be able to get any work done or give enough of a f---

Chad Warden likes this.
    Chad Warden likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  17. SWERVO

SWERVO big cuntry's alias

Dec 1, 2015
    A lot of it comes down to obedience and discipline as well. I mean I don't get into that much trouble but if I don't feel like doing a certain project/test etc even if I know I have to, I won't just because it does not spark my interest.

Chad Warden likes this.
    Chad Warden likes this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  18. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Dec 1, 2015
    I couldn't pay attention in school after long, and I couldn't concentrate and did awful with tests, and from 3rd grade on I was repeatedly taken out of public school to be homeschooled, and then put back in public over and over again. That cycle went on till I dropped out at 16, and I was medicated from the time I was 10 clear till then, going on 17. Idk how many different medications I was put on, but none of them ever helped, and I always hated how much it messed with my creativity. I can't imagine still being on them now, I'd never be producing...

Apr 24, 2024
  19. Alchemist34

Alchemist34 DO MY HEAD

Dec 1, 2015
    I had/have awful concentration. Someone will talk to me and I'm processing f--- all I will literally have no idea what he/she just said because I was daydreaming of something. Same as reading/studying. Unless I'm particularly interested in the person or topic things will just go through one ear and come out the other

Like this thread for example apart from the last few posts above I didn't get anything written before because it immediately bored/didn't interest me

Is there medication for my condition

Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    Apr 24, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Dec 1, 2015
    Thanks for expanding @Chad Warden. I don't have time to type something longer right now but I do think that's too small a sample size to extend it to all persons of each gender. Interesting anecdote/notes nonetheless and definitely worth discussing because there's definitely a difference between how men and women think, though it obviously doesn't apply to literally everyone.

Ordinary Joel, Enigma and Chad Warden like this.
    Apr 24, 2024