Kendrick Lamar Lady Liberty, the Narrative, the Ending, & Listening in Reverse...

Started by Slyk, Apr 25, 2017, in Kendrick Lamar Add to Reading List

1. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Apr 25, 2017
    Walk me through it.

The narrative seems to be circular, with the story ending where it began, but people have also hung heavily on the "we're gonna put it in reverse" that echoes on duckworth, indicating that the story tells two different narratives when doing so. But in both scenarios, Kenny dies. Is this the "d---ed if you do, d---ed if you don't" people are referring to?

Walk me through that and the 2 stories. I'm having trouble grasping how they actually tell two different tales.

And is the blind lady definitely Lady Liberty? Or could she be Lucy? There doesn't seem to be a tie-in from what I can tell to give us enough clarity on the opener/outro.

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Apr 25, 2017
    this is gonna be some Memento s--- and the actual start-end is the middle

Ordinary Joel, Bojack and Groovy Tony like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Bojack and Groovy Tony like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Groovy Tony

Groovy Tony Grandma's baby Eddie Kane

Apr 25, 2017
    I listened to this project like 43 times twice backwards and it still hasn't clicked for me

Mar 29, 2024
  4. OwI

OwI I was riding on a bike on a very late night

Apr 25, 2017
    That short n----- better explain that s--- quick cause my head hurts
    Zane tried to inject some answers from him but he dodged him smfh kenny

Ordinary Joel and Groovy Tony like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. OwI

OwI I was riding on a bike on a very late night

Apr 25, 2017
    I feel like the blind lady is the community somewhat ... After he tried to fix things in the blind community with tpab, instead of praising him fox news painted him as a villan and shot him in a metaphorical way
    ...... Something like that

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Apr 25, 2017
    @HeartsandHands was talking about this in one of the other threads like he understood it.. holla here.

HeartsandHands and Ordinary Joel like this.
    HeartsandHands and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Apr 25, 2017
    I listened in reverse and couldnt tell a f---in word. Except that one part in the middle where sumone seems to be saying all hail satan

SHUDEYE and Ordinary Joel like this.
    SHUDEYE and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Apr 25, 2017
    It's very ambiguous everyone interprets it in their own way

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Apr 25, 2017
    it possible that people are trying to make connections where there aren't any? over analyzing and over-crediting

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Bojack

Apr 25, 2017
    there is an interesting article about all this stuff
    https://revolt.tv/stories/2017/04/15/deep-dive-key-theories-kendrick-lamars-d----07008224d5

i hope it helps.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Apr 25, 2017
    the 14 stations = 14 tracks seems to be quite a stretch...the author was making some leaps in what each track represented, tying them into each station. that said, the redditt part i think tries to explain the reversal and dual narrative..

Ordinary Joel and Bojack like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Bojack like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Apr 25, 2017
    ...when playing the album backwards, d---. tells a completely different story. A key point in this conclusion is through the tracks "BLOOD." and "FEAR."

Where the order from top to bottom follows suit, it also answers the opening question on the album, "is it weakness?" As a Reddit user points out:

"When you play the album front to back, we see a confident Kendrick exposing his anxieties very subtlety until FEAR. where he lays out an entire lifetime of what scares him. He does admit insecurities on FEEL., but I view this as more an awareness of people treating him differently because of his success; a theme that makes sense leading into LOYALTY. This is the story of him not wanting to show weakness by admitting he is living through fear of losing his career or his life. I also believe this is the story of the real Kendrick, the one addressed on DUCKWORTH. that came out of Anthony not killing his father."

"You decide are we going to live or die?"

According to this duality theory, playing the album from top to bottom tells the story of Kendrick living through fear — better yet, it answers the immediate words that follow the (fatal?) gunshot on "BLOOD.," which happens to be: "Is it weakness?" This order portrays the weakness side. Through this version, we find Kendrick exposing his wounds and insecurities and it's on a record like "FEAR.," where he really digs into a lifetime of anxieties that have haunted him. Playing it in reverse, tells the "is it wickedness" side of the narrative. Where the former order tells the story of the Kendrick Duckworth we know today, thanks to Anthony not killing his father (as detailed on "DUCKWORTH."). When playing it backwards, the album details the "reverse of good karma" and reveals a story of what would have happened had K. Dot "grew up without a father and died in a gunfight."

As the Reddit post notes:

"On DUCKWORTH., Kid Capri says "We gon' put it in reverse!" The track ends with Kendrick saying, "Because if Anthony killed Ducky, Top Dawg could be servin' life while I grew up without a father and die in a gunfight," followed by a gunshot and the entire album sonically reversed until the, "So I was takin' a walk the other day" of BLOOD. This gave me the idea to play d---. back - front. This is the story of the Kendrick that would have resulted in Ducky being killed."

Mar 29, 2024
  13. Ezio926

Ezio926 EMINEM SUCKS

Apr 25, 2017
    The album show Kendrick living and dying trough one of his life. Yes, I'm talking about buddhism.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Pgill2016

Apr 25, 2017
    I can see that. I interpreted the blind woman being lady liberty tbh and the album is about how his insecurities and spotlight is killing him while he's trying to save the world at the same time.

This is shown to me in --- when he goes off about how he'd k--- someone that touched his family while on the way to talk to children about gun control. The hypocrisy of who he is and what he wants America and the world to be is killing him

It's why I think this album is a lot more grim and less optimistic than tpab cause it's more a look at himself rather than a look at how society can improve like tpab was

This all just from what I hear haven't looked up what other people think yet but probably will soon

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Ordinary Joel and Slyk like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Slyk like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Stevio

Stevio Goonio Da Boonio

Apr 27, 2017
    I reckon a Deluxe version is on the way ala GKMC, with extra songs, might explain a lot of things he left ambiguous and unexplained with d---, maybe he was toying with the idea of a second album originally but based on how well it's done commercially, and Interscope loves deluxe versions, the recent interviews saying he's got more music coming, I think it's likely.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. HeartsandHands

HeartsandHands The Collector

May 3, 2017
    I was gone for a minute now im back with the jump off.

reading thread contents currently.

Slyk likes this.
    Slyk likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. The Unseen

The Unseen Labeled as a bad character.

May 4, 2017
    I believe it's Lucy.

Think about it, Kendrick's blinded by the evils of Lucy & is struggling with his faith.

First half of the record (BlOOD/PRIDE) = Wickedness

2nd half of the record (HUMBLE/DUCKWORTH) = Weakness

His DAMNation however's inevitable.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024