NBA NBA Discussion Thread

Started by Mike Tyson, Nov 24, 2014, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Modest

Modest I ain't scared bitch, just a whole lotta gang shit

Jun 27, 2017
    That's incorrect. This idea that because you spend half your time on offense and half your time on defense both are equally important isn't true.

Look at those 5 players (excluding AD because he's not on this level). That's 5 of the 8-10 most talented offensive players in the NBA.

Defensively, only Kawhi is truly elite. Durant is probably the next best and Lebron can be when he wants but the other 3 are average to below average.

I'm not saying defense doesn't matter but individual defense is not more important than a players ability to make players around him better and Harden is without a doubt better than Kawhi at that.

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Jun 27, 2017
    knicks thinking of resigning d rose

somebody k--- me and pooh dont quote this with some rose defense

Poohdini, Ordinary Joel and The Gooch like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jun 27, 2017
    thats a pretty stupid argument to make the day after d'antoni wins coach of the year over him lol

and its not even like kawhi was carried by pops system lmao, they were mainly doing iso ball all year so i dont see why youd even argue this esp considering how d'antonis system is literally built for harden to thrive

if you actually watched em in the offs this year you woulda saw they didnt skip a beat when harden came off the floor, they have one of the best benches in the league, 3pt shooters everywhere and two 6moty contenders playing through D'antonis system, harden undoubtably has a better surrounding cast.

stop being an idiot and actually watch the games

Poohdini, Ordinary Joel and The Gooch like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. The Gooch

The Gooch Gucci FlipFlops (aka Rap Game's Steven Adams)

Jun 27, 2017
    Do y'all even have any shooters on the team besides Melo, not for long, and Porzingis

Ordinary Joel and Bourbon Ben like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Jun 27, 2017
    frank
    lance
    courtney lee
    dotson
    holiday

Ordinary Joel and The Gooch like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Jun 27, 2017
    btw half the knicks roster is up for free agency so that question kinda unanswerable

Mar 28, 2024
  7. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Jun 27, 2017
    The Paul George thing might come to fruition if Hayward signs. Would need him to agree to a 3 year extension though. Still think its a ploy for the Pacers to rope the Lakers back in and try to pry Ingram away from them. Supposedly the C's package would be Crowder, Smart or Bradley, pick from Philly trade and 19 Memphis 1st (top 8 protected). If Paul George is willing to rip up his deal for an extension this year, the Celtics would probably be able to top the Lakers deal no matter what.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Modest

Jun 27, 2017
    Dantoni won coach of the year because his team outperformed expectations. I don't see how that matters here.

The main staple of the Spurs offense is not isolation plays. That's untrue.

Mike D'Antoni system looks good because of Harden not the other way around. He was succeeding in Houston before D'Antoni and he would w/o D'Antoni. Dantoni on the other hand was struggling to find a player who could run his system at a high level.

"if you actually watched em in the offs this year you woulda saw they didnt skip a beat when harden came off the floor, they have one of the best benches in the league, 3pt shooters everywhere and two 6moty contenders playing through D'antonis system, harden undoubtably has a better surrounding cast."

Don't insult me. Since the day McHale became the coach of the Houston Rockets I have watched a vast majority of their games and have continued to do so since his firing. I don't just watch them in the playoffs; I've watched them religiously for seasons now.

I never said the players didn't perform well. I said they were put in a position to perform well because of Harden and him not asking them to do more than what they are capable of. Which is objectively true.

Strawmen arguments are just a sign that you can't actually answer or refute my initial response to your post. Harden is clearly a top 5 player in this league and NEEDS to be treated as such.

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Modest

Jun 27, 2017
    They'd probably have to part way with a young prospect. Either Tatum (unlikely) or Brown

Mar 28, 2024
  10. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Jun 27, 2017
    Nah neither of them.

Mar 28, 2024
  11. Rowney

Jun 27, 2017
    :hoplease:
    n----- what

how u gonna blatantly contradict urself like that lol

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Modest

Jun 27, 2017
    The first paragraph applies to primarily perimeter defenders from a Kawhi to a Patty Mills.

How good wings and pg are isn't really dependent on how good a perimeter defense that are or how good their team is. Just looking at the top 5 players mention showed that.

The 2nd post pertains to big men primarily those who defend within the post. It's VITAL for a big man to be able to play at least average defense. Since interior defenders protect a zone (a zone where most shots are taken and they are made at a high clip) vs. perimeter defenders who defend ONE player, it's a bigger responsibility and they can have a larger impact.

The ability of a big to play the pick n roll is vital for bigs because it's a usual counter teams run. If a big can defend the pnr teams are less likely to run plays to get him involved in such plays allowing him to continue to play as a rim protector.

With perimeter players there's not much you can do if you're schemed out of the game; something Kawhi learned. All they have to do is not involve your man in the play by sending him to the opposite side of the court and playing 4v4. You can counter this by helping off of the man Kawhi is defending but this really only works if that player isn't a threat off the ball (which for the spurs is a viable option because 1. they don't have the defenders to do this against elite teams. 2. It kind of defeat the purpose of having an elite defender if you're only going to use him on bums).

Mar 28, 2024
  13. pop

pop

Jun 27, 2017
    after flopping all season and putting on one of the worst playoff performances in history someone's really trying to argue that Harden is better than Kawhi....... defense is still better than no defense, but because Harden doesn't really play individual defense it's overrated. okay lol

Mar 28, 2024
  14. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jun 28, 2017
    Mate you were championing Harden for MVP. :fkcurry:

SWERVO, Jakey and pop like this.
    SWERVO, Jakey and pop like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. pop

pop

Jun 28, 2017
    Phil Jackson got fired

Mar 28, 2024
  16. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jun 28, 2017
    Depends on the price tag tbh

Phil fired btw lol

Mar 28, 2024
  17. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jun 28, 2017
    the playoffs made it very evident that westbrook was mvp, i admitted i was wrong a while back lol but i never said harden was the better player

Mar 28, 2024
  18. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jun 28, 2017

@Ben get your mans

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Jun 28, 2017
    Phil Jackson hahahaha, great move by the Knicks