Did anyone here go to college who was awful in high school?

Started by Caine, May 4, 2018, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Caine

May 4, 2018
    -

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

May 4, 2018
    It depends on what major you go into

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Versace Python

May 4, 2018
    I didn't apply myself in the least during high school, and went to college for Multimedia Design & Production because I was interested in web and it didn't really require good grades or any math/science to get in. I then took a one year advanced web dev course after completing the first program (i'm in Canada).

I'm self employed right now and have been working contract for a company in SF for about 2 years and do pretty well for myself.

Apply yourself, network, and constantly try to improve your craft.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

May 4, 2018
    Have you thought about learning a trade? Not sure how much you like that kind of work but you can make pretty good money with that.

All that college shows a potential employer is that you can put up with years of bs. It’s essentially an insurance policy that costs thousands of dollars. I’m in college but i try everyday to find a suitable alternative.

And to answer your question writing and math classes are required across the board.

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

May 4, 2018
    Math & English are GE (general education) requirements in college so yeah, there’s no getting around them. If you don’t want to put up with that, I’d say learn a trade.

Mar 28, 2024
  6. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

May 4, 2018
    Still need math

Sign Language and Enigma like this.
    Sign Language and Enigma like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. DKC

DKC hank trill

May 4, 2018
    Based upon your posting here I feel like there's no way you'd fail a writing class, I bet in HS they just made you write about s--- that doesn't interest you. In college you're able to be a lot more creative in terms of what you can write about, like I wrote a bunch of papers that had to do with rap and the wire.

With math my recommendation is to take those classes right away cuz the longer you wait after HS the less you'll remember and you may end up testing into a lower math class and have to take three classes instead of 1-2 to fulfill your math requirement. If your major has nothing to do with math they're not gonna care if you get a C in a general requirement class.

I say go for your associate's at community college and if you wanna continue to college after do it and if you don't then look into a trade like @Sign Language said.

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

May 4, 2018
    I was a pretty average student in high school and I'm now just about to finish a PhD. I struggled like crazy the first few years of college then got more into it over time. Then again I suppose the education system here is probably pretty different to the US. Either way, learning anything is absolutely always worth it in my opinion.

Ordinary Joel, Sign Language and SliK like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Sign Language and SliK like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Xmipod

May 4, 2018
    @Caine the biggest lie anyone will tell you is that you need to go to college to succeed in life

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Xmipod

May 4, 2018
    Go to a technical school. Engineering is an amazing field to get into

Ordinary Joel and RetiredAccount like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

May 4, 2018
    I went to community college for one year, then another year of night school

I s----d at Math in high school.... well, s---... I s----d at Math all my life, not just high school

Ordinary Joel and nunofherdeiro like this.
    Ordinary Joel and nunofherdeiro like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

May 4, 2018
    I went to college on the strength of my abilities in soccer (football!), if I didn't have that scholarship there would have been no way I got accepted (granted 5 schools rejected me) due to a horrible conduct & below average grades. I honestly didn't apply myself in high school, it happens most of us go through rebellious phases of immaturity, but I made sure as h--- I would not take college for granted and luckily I graduated with honors and found a living that gives me a significant purpose in life. Not trying to flex but it really wasn't that long ago I was floating in uncertainty.

I co-sign everything everyone has said already, take a moment to contemplate this decision since financially it's a devastating trap especially if you don't reap the benefits and resources certain schools offer. You look like a smart kid, if you defeat your vices and with some perseverance you can find something in college or even without it.

Mar 28, 2024
  13. DKC

DKC hank trill

May 4, 2018
    For the people telling you not to go to college: telling people college is worthless is just as much of a lie as saying you have to go to college to be successful. It works for some people and for others it doesn't. But only you can figure that out for yourself.

To me college was worth it not even because it would help get me a job or whatever but because I'm the type of person who school comes easy to and I love learning in that type of environment. But not everyone does. For me however that and the friends and connections I made and the overall experience was invaluable. It sounds cliche but it really is a time where it's easy to start "finding yourself" (I say start because I'm four years out and still figuring myself out)

Mar 28, 2024
  14. nunofherdeiro

May 4, 2018
    This .

Mar 28, 2024