Jon Connor shelved (Aftermath signee)

Started by Custommustardstain, Aug 4, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Detroit24

Aug 5, 2019
    I remember a dude from philly named GAGE that had some nice tracks early on, but once Dre got a hold of him...he was ever heard of again

Slim the Mobster was another dude that I liked his tracks...and Dre actually used his vocals on the Compton album....but disappeared long time ago too

henzINNIT and Guma like this.
    henzINNIT and Guma like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  2. Detroit24

Aug 5, 2019
    An artist success is so much predicated on timing that dr. Dre basically makes/ruins careers in 1 swoop....you can get Snoop, Em, 50, Game, Kendrick or the long list of guys he decides not to release their albums + those artists can’t even get their masters to leak to the internet because Dre has the locked up under contract...therefore all the work and years are wasted

Guma likes this.
    Guma likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  3. The Lyricvore

The Lyricvore shangri la frontier

Aug 5, 2019
    I was so hyped for that gage album. Ugh

Detroit24 likes this.
    Detroit24 likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  4. KPD

KPD I feel incredible, is medicine edible?

Aug 5, 2019
    Such a shame. I’m a massive fan of his album unconscious state. Love that ablum. I remember when it came out.

Custommustardstain likes this.
    Custommustardstain likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  5. Jay Zeus

Jay Zeus I am the god-favored weed strain

Aug 6, 2019
    Dr. Dre signing you from 1992 to 1999 was a blessing. Since then, it's been a curse. Besides Kendrick Lamar, who never needed Dre's co-sign anyway, what the f--- career has Dre helped shape and mold as thoroughly as he did Eminem's?! They acted kinda sus for the longest. They'd even joke about the h----erotic connotations, on-and-off-wax, patrons.

It's despicable and there's no way he'll ever get back to the basics. How Dre treated Bishop Lamont's career is proof of this. h---, Hitman was the first victim. It's almost like, Dre just gave up on new artists entirely, besides his mentorship of Eminem. As I've said before, his co-signs do help a career that's already destined to momentously take off regardless, like Kendrick's was.

But if he does more than just endorse, good luck. Less is more under his guise and hands-off management. Him and 2003 Paul Jean Levesque borrow the golden shovel from each other so they can continue their synonymous music and wrestling legacies of burying their stellar contemporaries, constituents, and peer hopefuls.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Guma and Michael Myers like this.
    Guma and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  6. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Aug 6, 2019
    Dre has ruined more careers than he has helped. He deserves no respect at this point if you ask me. All that music stashed away is the work of countless writers, performers and producers; not just his.

GCasper and Detroit24 like this.
    GCasper and Detroit24 like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  7. thegooddoc

Aug 6, 2019
    Don't understand this kind of thinking. They signed with Dre, he paid them and didn't think they lived up to his standards and didn't release. For all we know he has saved us from a lot of s-----y music. Artist need to take responsibility for themselves. If they are good they will breakthrough.

WestSideboi likes this.
    WestSideboi likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  8. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

Aug 7, 2019
    Aftermath nothin after that....and then TDE came along

0 0
    Apr 16, 2024
  9. relapse 2

Aug 7, 2019
    if dres vault ever starts leaking from now onwards its gonna be great

Detroit24 likes this.
    Detroit24 likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  10. Detroit24

Aug 7, 2019
    Stat Quo was another other classic artist that worked for Dre/Em had for years, remember their was a leaked track list of Statlanta original Shady/Aftermath and it looked legit...fast forward years later that guy is done....

Last I heard of him he was trying to do a go fund me to get his Shady/Aftermath tracks that were completed...had a few Dre, Em, 50 features lol no way he got enough money to get Shady or Aftermath to give him those masters lol

Guma, Ricky and Custommustardstain like this.
    Guma, Ricky and Custommustardstain like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  11. Detroit24

Aug 7, 2019
    The current Aftermath artists signed are Justus aka JT - he worked on Compton album but I’m sure he will disappear soon, since he’s been signed since 2015

Guma and thegooddoc like this.
    Guma and thegooddoc like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  12. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Aug 8, 2019
    Some problems I have with this logic:

- Not up to 'Dre's standard' is a cop out. He does not have a spotless track record, being heavily involved in Encore and Relapse to name just the most obvious examples. Maybe some genuinely didn't work out, but there have been plenty of artists buried by Aftermath who would have definitely released good albums or better.

- Perhaps it's a mistake on their part, but obviously no artist signs the contract expecting they will be indefinitely shelved. They got paid, sure, to make music that no-one would hear. That's got to be depressing as f--- for an artist. They are robbed the chance to develop through releasing projects, experiencing successes/failures, learning from the response, building a fan-base etc. The money they made languishing in the studio won't cover their future when they are creatively spent and their careers are dead.

- How can an artist take responsibility for themselves if their own label sabotages their career? Take for example Bishop Lamont, who released a load of high quality tapes, gave a ton of interviews and steadily built up hype for his album. He released the single "Grow Up" and the label sent out a cease and desist to shut it down. Stat Quo sat in limbo for years watching singles die because Dre would flip flop around video shoots. None of these artists even have the opportunity to release the music they made once they've escaped the label.

Of course the solution is "don't sign to Aftermath", but Dre deserves some blame too.

Guma likes this.
    Guma likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  13. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Aug 9, 2019
    Of course he got shelved. It's Aftermath!!! There's a long list of artists who have been shelved by Aftermath and Shady. In fact, I dare say you aren't a true Aftermath artist until you've been shelved. And it's a shame because he's a good dude. I saw him live a couple of times years ago and met him as well, he was real down to Earth and I was happy that his star was rising. But once I heard he signed to Aftermath, I said "here we go again". It was like Joell Ortiz 2.0.

joeyp363 and Ricky like this.
    joeyp363 and Ricky like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  14. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Aug 9, 2019
    Bishop Lamont all over again smh

joeyp363 likes this.
    joeyp363 likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  15. joeyp363

Aug 9, 2019
    So is there actual confirmation he has been shelved or are we just assuming so because of the track record? I actually Connor. Hope this sees the light of day.

0 0
    Apr 16, 2024
  16. GCasper

Aug 9, 2019
    I swear Dre be taking talent off the streets, just so they don't make his big artists look bad.

Guma and Detroit24 like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  17. GCasper

Aug 9, 2019
    Exactly what I've been trying to say.

0 0
    Apr 16, 2024
  18. thegooddoc

Aug 9, 2019
    I think the artist has to take responsibility, it is their career. If you are an artist that signs to Aftermath you have to know by now that the chances that you will come out are very slim. It is also well known that Dre has an insane work ethic and expects everyone around him to have the same work ethic. Many of the artists he signs don't have the same work ethic. The artists that have released under Dre have made their own hype on social media and otherwise. Anderson Paak wasn't sitting around waiting for Dre to put him out. His social media presence was huge.

As far as Jon Connor, I really haven't heard enough of him to make a judgment one way or the other. He was a big part of Compton, which despite what people say sold alright. I'm sure he has made some decent money. Maybe he missed out on a major label deal, maybe not. It looks like Dre let him out of the contract, so if he wants to make it, he still has plenty of time to make music.

At the end of the day, Dre earned the right to run his label the way that he wants.

hargydon likes this.
    hargydon likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  19. thegooddoc

Aug 9, 2019
    Is this guy even trying to release music? His social media presence is nearly non existent.

Apr 16, 2024
  20. MichaelsMad

Aug 9, 2019
    I've always been curious as to what goes on behind the scenes. Are they allowed to do as many mixtapes, freestyles etc to keep their name circulating. Interviews or whatever or do they have outlandishly strict guidelines. Remember when dre said "I was a starving artist, so I would never starve an artist" but seems like they all just get put on the bench until their name dies off or the artist loses the passion entirely. It's crazy how many of the people that are looked to as idols but they do nothing to help the artist or even a fraction of the help they got from their mentors. I know dre is f---ing obsessive though. I know it's been addressed in INAD and defiant ones, but you can tell that guy wrestles with self doubt and over analyzes everything. I almost think EM going on hiatus f----- with him. Or I feel like dre has started to buy into his own legend, and is afraid of his own talents or afraid to put s--- out in fear of the possible negative feedback. I think he works on things so long, and to the finest details for God knows how long so if one person says something negative about it, it crushes him. I'm sure hes spent months on songs or beats maybe even a year plus on one song or beat and then trashes it before someone can give an opinion. Him, kanye, EM. They all fit that "tortured artist" profile of people who live their creativity, to where everything is real to them. To where it's not just music it's their lively hood and negative criticism just sends them over the edge. Bc to them it's not just criticism, idk what you would call it but it's way more than that to them.

hargydon, Guma and thegooddoc like this.
    hargydon, Guma and thegooddoc like this.
    Apr 16, 2024