Rate This Album V4 [Rae Sremmurd - Sremmlife]

Started by Enez, May 23, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Jay Zeus

Jay Zeus I am the god-favored weed strain

Aug 2, 2019
    I can't say it's my favorite Kanye Album. But man, did it grow on me or what?! For more reasons than I care to admit. Blood On The Leaves still moves the f--- out of my soul. Feels like that should have been the last track. An album with as pronounced a distinctively capricious and levitous motif as Yeezus wasn't meant to have a typical Hollywood ending. Maybe I misinterpreted the disjointedness of Yeezus' cohesive conclusiveness with Bound 2 for an inadvertent error in presentation and execution/artistic expression. However, I perceived it as rather predictable. Doesn't take away from or tamper with the overall enjoyable listening experience. Challenges the thought process by almost effortlessly recalibrating the inevitably volatile and pivotal mood of its listener, at any point in and of time, when it is being aurally consumed. I will say it has that profound of an effect on me. 8.5/10

Ordinary Joel and Macca like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Aug 4, 2019
    Updating sometime this day Afternoon? Anyway, Deltron next, SremmLife after that, Undecided for the 3rd one yet.

Apr 20, 2024
  3. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Aug 4, 2019
    Let's rate Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous maybe? Album is full of great verses.

Ordinary Joel, Jay Zeus and Enez like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Jay Zeus and Enez like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Aug 4, 2019
    The most cohesive album of all time, it’s impossible to listen to just one track and not play Yeezus as a whole. All of Kanye’s albums are deeply personal but Yeezus is the most raw, a chaotic snapshot of a man who had everything he needs but can’t understand why he isn’t happy. A lot has been said about the decline in Kanye’s writing on here, but it honestly never bothered me like it does on Pablo or Ye. As divisive as 808s was at the time, it eventually got its due and is now recognised as the masterpiece it rightfully is, but six years later Yeezus remains as polarising as it ever was. Guess it’ll take a few more years.

10/10

Ordinary Joel, Boos, Enez and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Boos, Enez and 3 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  5. Macca

Macca @

Aug 4, 2019
    [Constructive criticism]

It is hard to understand what you are trying to say, man. Fancy words are useless if you can't communicate your message to the reader.

"Challenges the thought process by almost effortlessly recalibrating the inevitably volatile and pivotal mood of its listener, at any point in and of time, when it is being aurally consumed. "

Come on, I get you are trying to make it poetic but the complexity makes it annoying and 'thick' to read. I appreciate your passion though, I can see you enjoy reviewing music. But if it was less fabricated and thesaurus-induced it would be more enjoyable to read.

Just my opinion though, you can ignore it if you don't care :D

Ordinary Joel and Jay Zeus like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Jay Zeus like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  6. Macca

Macca @

Aug 4, 2019
    I read detox and almost had a heart attack

Ordinary Joel, Enez and Ricky like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enez and Ricky like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  7. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Aug 4, 2019
    I'd s--- myself if Detox dropped out of nowhere tbh.

Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  8. TimmyT

TimmyT The Bride

Aug 4, 2019
    I think most of Kanye’s albums are strong, this one, not so much. album starts off not too hot with songs like on sight and I am god. Kanye usually has strong opening tracks but this album fell short of that. I also think his lyrics throughout this album aren’t as good. However, I do think much of the album is creative—especially songs like I’m in it which is my favorite song on the album. Overall, it’s ok, but definitely not an album that I feel was strong from start to finish.

6 out of 10

Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  9. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Aug 4, 2019
    10/10

As time has gone by, each encompassing listen of Yeezus has made me appreciate it more. Initially I thought it was just a cabal of unfiltered & raw energy, sort of like Kanye's take on a industrial rock album. Upon closer inspection, this album tells a profound story of one of this genre's most creative minds trying to make sense of this modern world...again. Whatever thoughts he had left underpinned in MBDTF turned up on Yeezus and were thrown into this blaring blender of theatrics.

Those beat switches come out of nowhere, the songs feel more anthemic even by Kanye's standards and it has this phenomenal sequencing where everything connects organically. What other album has Kanye opening on a chaotic Daft Punk beat, then he claims he's a God, followed by a brilliant Ye rant on greedy corporations, after that he partied with Chief Keef and then falls in love at the end? Only Yeezus can do that.

Apr 20, 2024
  10. Jay Zeus

Jay Zeus I am the god-favored weed strain

Aug 5, 2019
    I appreciate your honesty and I agree. I had a better version in my head but it felt too....erm….Rick Rubin'd. I guess it's better to strip down personally expressed thoughts and opinions in a more dense manner. Especially when giving a rough draft of a review. I wish I knew the perfect way to express profound emotions. I kinda s--- at projecting a credible form of poignancy. I relate to no one. Maybe that's what Yeezus helped me realize, too. I honestly haven't gotten to the point in my life of being as unabashedly eccentric and raucous as Ye on that album. I envy the f--- out of that, as well as anyone who can relate to hitting that peak in self-awareness development. I hear it's empowering.

Apr 20, 2024
  11. Sea Mauville

Aug 6, 2019
    hope i didnt miss it but 8.5
    i think over time ive listened to this less but ive grown to appreciate its place in his discography a lot more

Sav Stanfield, Ordinary Joel and Enez like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  12. Enez

Aug 6, 2019
    Miss? Nah. Just picking up though.

Ordinary Joel and Sea Mauville like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Sea Mauville like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  13. Enez

Aug 6, 2019
    Yeezus gets a 8.1 based on 17 ratings.

Next up...

Deltron 3030's self titled album
    [​IMG]

9.5/10

I felt as more time went by, this album just got better and better. It sounded ahead of its time when it came out, and still sounds futuristic to this date. Just proves that Dan The Automator is one of the best producers that doesn't get enough of the spotlight. We in 3030 b----.

@RateThisAlbum

Apr 20, 2024
  14. Gimp

Aug 6, 2019
    Best concept album of all time, who knew someone could pull off a sci fi rap album? A
    10/10 from me

Apr 20, 2024
  15. Bourbon Ben

Bourbon Ben Mad pooper

Aug 6, 2019
    10/10

i dont listen to this album often, but whenever I do, I always wonder why not?

Apr 20, 2024
  16. Enez

Aug 19, 2019
    Am I getting lazy?

Any more ratings? Lol

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  17. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Aug 19, 2019
    Yes!

9.5/10

I always wondered who that rapper was on Gorillaz' smash Clint Eastwood, when I did my research it inevitably transported me to the year 3030 when Deltron Zero was rebelling against the autocratic overlords. The concept and execution of this album are so unique even by rap's standards--nothing sounded like this or has even come remotely close. Del's flow and delivery is so amusing, he immerses you into this sci-fi world--he's a naturally storyteller, kinda like a hip-hop version of Sir David Attenborough narrating the natural world. Reading through the samples used, it's perfectly clear a lot of thought went into conceptualizing this remarkable album, it clearly shows as you descend into the rabbit hole this Del drags you into.

Apr 20, 2024
  18. Enez

Aug 20, 2019
    If anyone can set up the next album, that'll be great, I ain't been feeling too good this week, tbh. :emoji_pensive:

Apr 20, 2024
  19. Enez

Aug 28, 2019
    Decided to come out of retirement today

Deltron 3030 gets a 9.8 based on 4 ratings

Next up...

Rae Sremmurd's SremmLife
    [​IMG]

@RateThisAlbum

Apr 20, 2024
  20. Enez

Aug 28, 2019
    Sorry 4 the wait like s---

8.5/10

I'm actually listening to SL right now funny enough. Not too many songs on the whole thing is a great thing, basically no filler on this s--- at all. So pretty much every song is a slapper. Especially the intro. Lawd.

Apr 20, 2024