Revisiting 2001

Started by Sav Stanfield, Jan 11, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Jan 11, 2020
    I was having fun with this Revisiting series but seems a bit like overkill since we're now doing the best albums of the decade thread.

So thought it would be interesting to go further back in time to what started now 2 full decades ago. I'm picking 2001 because I think this was around the time I first really became interested in hip hop. Thats where the whole journey started for me.

Anyways 2001 was a wild a--- year for hip hop. The memory of 'East vs. West' and the Shiny Suit Era that followed was beginning to fade, and what used to be very much strictly regional sub-genres and trends in the South and Midwest started to get a lot more exposure. T.I. and Ludacris' names popped up for the first time. Juvenile continued on his hot streak. The underground scene (and especially Def Jux) boomed - Aesop Rock, Cunninglynguists, Dilated Peoples, Cannibal Ox, Immortal Technique. Movie soundtracks were a f---in huge thing.

The truth is in 2001, NY was still the mecca. Albums from Busta Rhymes, DMX, Jadakiss, MOP, Mobb Deep, and Wu-Tang, debuts from Ja Rule, Beanie Sigel and Fabolous. And who could forget? The tension between the 2 biggest names in the game had been brewing for years and finally exploded into an all out war, resulting in some of the best hip hop music ever made, bar none (and in the process introducing the world to the producer that would just a few years later change the game for good). And though he didn't drop any solo albums in 01, all the while that crazy white boy from Detroit had somehow snuck up and threatened to just take the throne for himself.

JXY, JEB, Ricky and 11 others like this.
    JXY, JEB, Ricky and 11 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Jan 11, 2020
    oh and s---, so underrated I forgot it in my own d--- post. Cormega's The Realness. One of the last truly great classic 90's (even though it dropped in 01) NY albums ever made.

Ricky, Zeugma, Michael Myers and 4 others like this.
    Ricky, Zeugma, Michael Myers and 4 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Buddha

Jan 11, 2020
    100% facts, Cormega The Realness is a cult classic. Also, regarding the NY underground, don’t forget Masta Ace’s Disposable Arts which also came out that year.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 11, 2020

^ Top 10 em verses.. he made in 2001

I've been praised and labeled as crazed
    My mother was unable to raise me, full of crazy rage
    An angry teenager, nothing can change me back
    Gangsta rap made me act like a maniac
    I was boosting, so influenced by music I used it
    As an excuse to do s---, ooh, I was stupid
    No one can tell me nothing, hip-hop overwhelmed me
    To the point where it had me in a whole 'nother realm
    It was like isolating myself was healthy
    It felt like we was on welfare but wealthy
    Compelled me to excel when school had failed me
    Expelled me and when the principal would tell me
    I was nothing, and I wouldn't amount to s---
    I made my first million and counted it
    Now look at, a f---ing drop-out that quit
    Stupid as s---, rich as f---, and proud of it
    That's why.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

n9ne, JEB, Ricky and 2 others like this.
    n9ne, JEB, Ricky and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jan 11, 2020
    Shoutout Aaliyah, Craig David, and Usher for the dope RnB projects in '01 :wow5:

Buddha, Sign Language, JEB and 5 others like this.
    Buddha, Sign Language, JEB and 5 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Jan 11, 2020
    shoutout the strokes, radiohead and the b------s over at gorillaz for timeless s---

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

Jan 12, 2020
    classic album tbh

n9ne, asvdawg, Ricky and 2 others like this.
    n9ne, asvdawg, Ricky and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

Jan 12, 2020

:banderas:

:banderas::banderas:

2001 was different man

n9ne, Buddha, Fire Squad and 3 others like this.
    n9ne, Buddha, Fire Squad and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

Jan 12, 2020
    by the way, speaking of Ether and Takeover, I found this recently, fascinating s---... . apparently the original version of Nas' Ether was different to the final version that came out and that featuredj the infamous 'Gay-Z' and 'cockafella records' lines

copied from Genius:

Apparently the original version of “Ether” made by Nas, was much more agressive and harsher than the one we have all heard. And obviously it has even better lines than the original.

Because Colombia asked him up to 3 times to edit the songs, that is probably the big reason why in certain points of Ether sounds like Nas is filling in spaces with saying things like “c--- a fella” and “gay-Z”. I don’t know first hand but this all makes sense because it seems that he was replacing those words with something he had to take out.

And Colombia is probably the reason why people who think “Takeover” is better, constantly bring up the “gay” and “c---” lines that Nas slightly over did it with to make it seem like he lost the battle.

Anyway here is an interview from Fat Joe before Ether was released in 2001 addressing lyrics that were cut from the original song:

AHH: One thing that just came up today, Nas apparently has a response to Jay Z’s “The Takeover” on his upcoming album, which implicates you and Pun and includes the lyrics: “Call yourself gangsta but you were begging for pardon that night in Carbon when Terror Squad flipped on your squadron tried to front on their checks till Pun put a gun to your chest.”

Fat Joe: We gotta hear it but d---, what a way to put me right in the middle of the beef huh? We don’t comment on that, that’s old news. Like I said all the negative energy all that sht you can throw that out the window.
    Nas is crazy. No question that we are allies with Nas Escobar. We love Nas. I almost named my son after Nas. As far as him and Jay Z with the beef: that’s they stuff. Until somebody tries to involve me in that sh
    t, that’s it. I ain’t got no problem with the whole Rocafella. It’s well documented. Everybody keeps trying to get me to talk about that sh*t in every interview. Why don’t they ask Jay Z that stuff? I read his interveiws, nobody asks him. If you interview him, ask him.

Verse 1:

So you call yourself god mc… J-hova\
    drunk the glass of blasphemy & forgot to pray over\
    your games over\ crossed the warpath of a brave soldier\
    youre a makeover\ my protege trying to takeover\ I was the sheperd that led you\ But you bit the hand that fed you\ mad cause since I met you i never did respect you\ and as hard as it seems\ you know that I fathered your dreams\ you was a groupie always begging to be part of my team\ another case of a boy and his teacher\ I was the first to poison your speakers\ so k--- all that noise that your preaching\ I understand\ all your plans to underhand\ aired threats of you pullin my card next summerjam\ let me make this clear hova\ You had my left overs\ she told me your little problem of the day when you slept over\ but thats another subject homey\ ***** you phony\
    Im coming to collect the debt from the years that you owe me\ so what you capitlized... only cause i allowed\ Im taking aim at your dome\ and reclaiming my throne\
    “Who said I that i aint still nasty”

Verse 2:

How you planned on facing\ the half man half-amazing\
    Dont need a fam, Nas is a one man invasion\ claim you hot but you flopped with your roc-familia\ cause real recognize real and youre not familiar\
    call yourself gansta but you were begging for pardon\
    that night in carbon\ when terror squad flipped on your squadron\
    Tried to front on their checks\ till pun put a gun to your chest\
    YOu said it yourself dog, Nas is one of the best\
    Dont need to search for some dirt to expose you\ I leave it up to the flow dispose you\ when i oppose you\ This is it Im calling ya\ come out and play like “warriors”\
    studied my blueprint then pieced together your formula\
    Guess the knowledge I speak too deep to follow\
    that`s why your stomach to weak to swallow\ The real truth
    that Nas is\ the greates of all timers\
    f*ck skeletons, keep only weaponry in my closets

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Jan 12, 2020
    Bruh that Craig David album was a fukin monsta... Multiple classic records.

Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. JEB

JEB

Jan 12, 2020
    What a time to be alive

Mar 28, 2024
  12. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Jan 12, 2020
    Also, a certain electronic album that revolutionized pop and revitalized interest in funk/disco. Love love Daft Punk :emoji_heart:, goat year in every respect I can think of

Ordinary Joel, Buddha and BIGFOOT like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha and BIGFOOT like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Jan 12, 2020

The man is a scumbag but he made some fukin great music... That R album was something els

Mar 28, 2024
  14. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jan 12, 2020
    Timeless. And perfect for any mood. A song for every occasion on that album :wow5:

Fire Squad likes this.
    Fire Squad likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. TheRealEbonIvore

Jan 13, 2020
    Miss these times!!

Mar 28, 2024