I Need Help Growing SXN80

Started by Slyk, Dec 13, 2019, in Announcements Add to Reading List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    i've got an idea for the homepage btw that i think will suit everybody's needs.

Nay Nay and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Nay Nay and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    lol holy s---. fyi, this is what 2.0 used to look like on mobile:
    upload_2020-1-28_2-6-41.png

...there's literally no content there at all.
    i'm kinda dying at this tbh
    this is what's been advocated for for so long?
    obviously, i'm not reverting to putting this s--- solution into place :laff:. can't believe i didn't even pull this up before.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    i think i do have a good solution in mind though

Mar 29, 2024
  4. lil uzi vert stan

Jan 28, 2020
    I like how clean that is tbh and doesn’t immediately highlight the level of activity. Forums are for niche communities so giving that extra step was one way to ensure a person was here to engage

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Nay Nay

Nay Nay naynaymusic.com

Jan 28, 2020
    Definitely didn’t intend for there to be an aggressive tone in any of that. My previous posts I tried sugarcoating things cause it was obvious you were feeling overwhelmed/under appreciated/hurt/irritated about criticisms being made about something you put so much time and work in. I didn’t see the need to do that at this point and tried to approach things in the exact same tone that your response to me was- straight up (“this is contradictory to this other part of your post, this is counter-intuitive, I agree with this but disagree with this, etc”). I didn’t include all the praise of the good things that I did in my previous posts because at the end of the day we are trying to get to the bottom of figuring out what is wrong and improve it, not discussing all that we do good at. I apologize if in doing so that gave it an aggressive feel, but please don’t look too much into the tone and simply view it as criticisms that are just trying to improve things.

I understand the original purpose of the thread and thought I made it quite clear that the homepage and site navigation were two of the main deterrents of the site that needed to be fixed. You had made a post doing a side-by-side comparison claiming that you don’t understand how anyone can view the previous being better than the new version. That’s where all the small potatoes came from, because although a lot was made better, not all of it was and there could definitely be improvements. If a complete overhaul of the site was being considered, I figured the small potatoes could be addressed to help improve things just that little bit extra since changes would be being made anyways.

There is definitely a clear line between the important stuff and the small potatoes, and I appreciate you delving into your opinions on those small potatoes as much as you did, but again, it seems you are getting the impression that I thought those minor things were “make-or-break” items of the site, to which I will reiterate that was clearly not the case. Focus on fixing the main stuff, and if you have time, in the process consider small potato improvements.

Ordinary Joel, Slyk and Bojack like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Slyk and Bojack like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    Serious? The entire view was essentially the same thing as just tapping the hamburger menu to see the sxns.

lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. lil uzi vert stan

Jan 28, 2020
    hahah, yeah but im a meat and potatoes type of guy i guess

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    lol stahp. i can't handle that rn :emoji_sweat_smile:

hey @Big Cuntry just calling your name here since i know you were interested in seeing a sxn-by-sxn latest post kinda overview thing like 2.0 had... do you use mobile or desktop? look at that image of 2.0 mobile above -- it shocked even me tbh.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Jan 28, 2020
    Can we get a screenshot of 1.0 for memory sake lol

Mar 29, 2024
  10. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 28, 2020
    Probably about half and half. I’m not sure what’s wrong with the image you posted I like it like that lol

Mar 29, 2024
  11. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 28, 2020
    And I guess I also don’t see what’s wrong with it especially if more people liked it that way. Sure it could look a little “cleaner” In terms of icons and such but as far as functionality goes I much prefer being able to see an overview of the site all at once like that.

Mar 29, 2024
  12. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 28, 2020
    Right now when I visit the forum it doesn’t really feel like it has sections, if that makes sense? Everything feels all jumbled together as part of one board instead of a forum with distinct subsections.

Mar 29, 2024
  13. attila

Jan 28, 2020
    Go to waybackmachine.com type SL

https://ibb.co/qCkwfvV

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    This is a headache for me tbh. It’s one tap (top left hamburger) with zero load time to see the same exact thing *on mobile* as it was on 2.0.

I was astounded when I just saw that that’s all 2.0 was, knowing that we have that, PLUS the feed.

a little flabbergasted to hear that that would be what people would be okay with tbh. People have been coming here for years. You know the names of the sections. And if you’re drunk or mental, then tap that top left to jog your mwmory...there’s like 7 sxns.

new members is an entirely different argument/rationale, but none of you are that, so separate consideration/conversation

Buddha and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    It’s legitimately not an overview — it’s a listing of what you already know and have known for years.

...to be clear, if I make a change to show the sxns to the homepage, then it would include more than just that.
    This is wild tbh...people need a reminder of JUST the SXN names in their face without anything else every time??? I’m truly flabbergasted.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    ...like, I’m screaming inside rn that THIS is what it’s been about.

Mar 29, 2024
  17. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Jan 28, 2020
    Even more f----- is that the latest post feed was at the bottom of the homepage mobile listing...right now, you have BOTH in a single view without needing to scroll.

I thought this whole time that people have been screaming for the SXN listings with a preview of the latest post or thread or whatever when shouting for 2.0. Knowing that wasn’t the case, and 70% of traffic is mobile, I’m..i duno.

I’m f-----. Been losing sleep for months over THIS. Signing off for the next couple days tbh.

Mar 29, 2024
  18. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Jan 28, 2020
    I dunno if I would wanna find a forum to post maybe at first how it looks is important. But wanting to stay has nothing to do w sections, or which bar u gotta click lol. It's the community and how bad it makes u wanna stay. There sure are some things people like/dislike more than others but is that really a reason to leave or not wanting to stay? I dont get that tbh

Ordinary Joel and Bojack like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Bojack like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. lil uzi vert stan

Jan 28, 2020
    agreed. i would urge a compromise of some kind lol.

edit -- i dont think this design thing is a huge game changer btw. just personal preferences. encouraging engagement is the Key, and the overall layout is just a piece but not that enticing in a vacuum

dear god. keep the faith! just add vets and reps ffs lol

Mar 29, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 28, 2020
    I mean it's not that people need a reminder of what the sxns are. Sometimes you can't explain 100% logically why a design choice "feels" better to people. For me my brain just compartmentalizes the forum better when it's sectioned off like that. Like I said 2.0 felt more like it had actual sections and 3.0 feels more like all the posts are in one place because the homepage directs you to to a feed of all the new posts, and when I visit a forum I don't want it to be like twitter, I want it to be like a forum.

I know you truly care about this stuff and I appreciate you putting in the effort, but I really think you're overthinking it—like andy said a lot of it is simply engagement and content. It's not like we'd have retained 2015-2017 levels of activity if we stayed with 2.0. I think it was just sorta the straw that broke the camel's back with some people if they were already logging in less and less and one day saw a design change they didn't like or didn't feel was intuitive.

I thought 2.0 had a preview of latest posts on mobile but maybe I'm remembering wrong and getting it mixed up with desktop cuz I used them interchangeably. Of course I'd rather have a preview of the thread title with the latest post but I didn't even know that that's what you were pointing out with the image.

Slyk, Buddha, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Slyk, Buddha, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.