Futbol/Soccer Football (Soccer) Discussion Thread

Started by Flacko, Nov 24, 2014, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. aleeex1923

Jan 26, 2020
    Look at my guy now, first two games at Dortmund came in as a sub and scored a hattrick and a double! Legend in the making

Fire Squad likes this.
    Fire Squad likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Feb 1, 2020
    He’s a killer, dude was at it again today! Practically the poster child for modern strikers; lethal in the box, his movements creates havoc to open more spaces and liked to participate in build-up. The fact Dortmund have him & Jadon Sancho is brutal, I would honestly try to convince both to stay and form a superteam with what they got. Whatever the case they’ll be commanding huge fees for both in due time.

@Alpha we finally beat those Mattress-Makers at home. Zizou’s Plan A backfired in the first half, but luckily Plan B worked. Great play from Vini and Mendy, he’s really been coming into his own lately, to get Benz the winner. Don’t care that Atleti we’re missing key starters, that’s there problem, Cholo Simeone might have to consider moving on. Big win, top of the league and we’re advancing in the Copa. It’s the key phases of the season, we’re riding on great form & confidence, plus, Hazard coming back soon. Let’s hope for the best!

aleeex1923 likes this.
    aleeex1923 likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Alpha

Alpha

Feb 1, 2020
    The team is on the right track indeed. Good God that was a boring match for me to watch tho. I fell asleep right after it lol. Hala Madrid!

Fire Squad likes this.
    Fire Squad likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Feb 15, 2020
    What a time to be a M A N C I T Y supporter!!!

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 15, 2020
    I'm officially convinced lots of americans are 100% r-----ed

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-cinc...tepping-away-during-racial-slur-investigation

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 15, 2020
    Also @Jakey pls let chelsea treat Ziyech well!

Ajax was already robbed against chelsea , but still I wish him the best over there!

Jakey likes this.
    Jakey likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. RG9

RG9

Feb 15, 2020
    How good is Ziyech in the opinion of someone who (I assume) watches him every week?

From what I’ve seen of him he looks good and stats reflect that, but I’m curious as to why seemingly no other clubs were in for him & he only cost ~£35m when he’s reaching his peak age...I could see him struggling physically in the prem

I’m curious because United need a RW & Sancho could be possible now Chelsea have strengthened there already, they won’t spend £100m+ on another winger

Michael Myers likes this.
    Michael Myers likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Fire Squad

Feb 16, 2020
    It's mostly his age that dropped his price tag--on top of coming from the Eredivisie where we don't see that many astronomical fees, at least when they're not prodigies like De Jong/ De Ligt.

Chelsea got a very good stop-gap solution meanwhile Hudson-Odoi & Pulisic develop & figure things out. Ziyech takes shots...lots of them. There isn't a chance or distance where he says "Yeah Imma take a rip" and lets one fly, along with having a decent eye at crossing & participates heavily in ball progression from the right.

The Sancho sweepstakes are gonna be interesting, a lot of BPL teams could easily accommodate him. United could desperately use his final-third dribbling and elite creativity, hopefully the club improves their conditions on the table and gets a UCL spot. Ideally, he should stick around BvB, him & Haaland could be something special!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Michael Myers and Jakey like this.
    Michael Myers and Jakey like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 16, 2020
    Right now, he's really really good.

But when he first came to Ajax, those years, the only thing people saw on tv were his incredible passes, goals and crosses. But he was also responsible for Ajax losing the ball a lot and didn't really help to defend it after. He grew a lot though and now he's a way more sympathetic player than he used to be.

Also he agreed to stay another year w Ajax a few years back agreeing he could leave for, I think it was 25 million euro. Last year they changed the contract to make him stay another year. My guess is, that they made the number a little higher, to make him stay another season.

Fire Squad and RG9 like this.
    Fire Squad and RG9 like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Mikey

Feb 16, 2020
    Man City pathetic cheats.
    Pep hopefully leaves & so will a few of their players.

Liverpool are incredible. Net spend of only 70m since Klopp took over.

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Feb 16, 2020
    Hey I thought you liked Chelsea as well. :')

From what I've seen of Ziyech he looks like a really good player. Although I feel like this signing tells us that we've given up on Sancho (or even Willian.... :emoji_cry:)

Not sure how are teams gonna look next season but I feel like Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic is our wing combo for the future... with Mount behind them :lawd:

Michael Myers and Fire Squad like this.
    Michael Myers and Fire Squad like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 17, 2020
    I do like Chelsea!

Its just a few weeks ago it was officially confirmed that Ajax was f----- in London lol.

Still love Chelsea tho it wasn't their fault but the s-----y ref

Jakey likes this.
    Jakey likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. OwI

OwI I was riding on a bike on a very late night

Feb 17, 2020
    ok i can't tell u guys how much the champions league games programming frustrate me :emoji_unamused:
    i want to see BOTH f---ing games tomorrow
    why man

Fire Squad likes this.
    Fire Squad likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Feb 17, 2020
    As much as I'm not a fan of Man City and would love to see them crumble. I hope they dont remove their past titles. Would mean that Gerrards infamous slip would end up with a trophy. I dont know how Liverpool fans would feel but it would totally diminish the significance of the Premier League title they're undoubtably gonna win this season.

Fire Squad and Michael Myers like this.
    Fire Squad and Michael Myers like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Fire Squad

Feb 18, 2020
    Big big games today, I hope Atleti get stomped firstly...

All this Mbappe vs Haaland talk is distracting from what I believe will be the more decisive players today: Neymar & Sancho. I hope we get a 9 goal thriller

Mar 29, 2024
  16. Fire Squad

Feb 18, 2020
    Crazy game, 1st half both teams were constricted a bit by microtactics (PSG looking for limited gegenpressing opportunities, BvB looking more towards ball retention than chance creation via overloading the wings--just to make sure PSG don't k--- them on the break).

2nd half the chains were unshackled and we saw a lot more explosiveness. Neymar even at 60% was a threat at times and what more can I say about Haaland? The kid is a beast, pressing the PSG midfield and overall linking up well with teammates, took his two chances brilliantly. Mbappe is definitely better playing off a true #9 or out wide, was way too isolated vs BvB's back 3 plus Di Maria having a stinker didn't help.

PSG have a tall mountain to climb without midfield pillar Verratti, along with those ghosts from previous eliminations still haunting them. BvB's defense had a good day, but I doubt they'll fare better in Paris vs Icardi and a healthier Neymar. They will however need to figure out a way to stop Haaland, Sancho & Hakimi from wreaking havoc once more, easier said than done really.

Alpha, aleeex1923 and Jakey like this.
    Alpha, aleeex1923 and Jakey like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Fire Squad

Feb 26, 2020
    This gonna be a good one, @Alpha our season will be defined this week. It’s do or die today, there are endless scenarios into how this will play out, Zidane is the epitome of unpredictable meanwhile Idk what to expect from Pep either. I just hope the team rolls back the clock and puts in a vintage performance, we’re gonna need it.

Unless I’m mistaken, I believe the homie @Xmipod is a City fan? May the best team win m8

Xmipod likes this.
    Xmipod likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Xmipod

Feb 26, 2020
    I am indeed, I dont like our odds for this one though. Hopefully the reports of the ban fueling the squad to win it this year are true (even though the ban will be overturned shortly)

We are in poor form, and Im sure pep will play sterling as a LW and gundogan which will be our downfall. Really wish Sane was back for this. My ideal lineup would be a 433 with Walker, Ferna, Laporte, and Mendy defense. Mid 3 of Rodri Bernardo and KDB with Sterling, Aguero, and Jesus.

Im hoping for a worst case scenario 2-1 loss. We really need an away goal here

Fire Squad likes this.
    Fire Squad likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Fire Squad

Feb 26, 2020
    The motivational part is what worries me, an inspired City is a frightening prospect. I mean, the stats say it all: top 3 in expected goals and a brutal pressing philosophy that 98% of teams can’t figure out. You guys have the weapons that can hurt us, I’ve dreaded the sight of KDB rampaging down our left halfspace for weeks.

Our offense is...not up to our previous standards, obviously. This is where you should be more optimistic, we don’t really have a consistent goalscorer outside of Benzema (with an asterisk on that). If we can expose Pep’s infamous high line (that is, if he doesn’t have an ace up his sleeve) then that’s where we can do some damage. Where you guys can k--- us is if our midfield can’t play out of the press, Im willing to bet my house Pep will set-up a pressing trigger anytime Casemiro & Mendy touch the ball.

Xmipod likes this.
    Xmipod likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. Xmipod

Feb 26, 2020
    Agreed. Just heard that Aguero is benched so it seems Jesus is starting at ST. Mahrez and KDB down that left flank will hurt. I do think Vinicius would destroy us if he plays LW for you all. Pacy wingers have been our downfall

Fire Squad likes this.
    Fire Squad likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
Live Thread