Xmipod's Throwback Album Thread

Started by Xmipod, Apr 4, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Xmipod

Apr 4, 2020
    Going to try to be somewhat consistent with this thread, my goal is to do one or two a week. Just going to post a short review or track by track breakdown of each song of an album that released in the past. I'm not going to try to get too deep or anything, just my review of an album I havent listened to in a while. If this gets a decent amount of traction I'll keep it up. If you also have a album you want me to listen to and write about, post it below and I'll certainly give it a spin. Im always for listening to new music or music I havent spun in a long time.

Let me know in the comments what your opinion is of the album

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Xmipod

Apr 4, 2020
    My first album of the thread is Drake's Nothing Was The Same.

[​IMG]

A critically well received album, as well as being well received among the general hip hop fan base. I remember being in High School walking through the halls jamming All Me and Started From the Bottom. I was cooking breakfast this morning listening to his recent single Chicago Freestyle and decided, for some reason, I wanted to relisten to Nothing Was the Same for the first time since, well, I have no idea. I'm not the biggest fan of post-IYRTITL Drake, but this album just made me remember why I loved Drake when he first came out. Such high-highs on this album and very few lows. The best songs on this project for me are Tuscan Leather, Hold On, We're Going Home, and Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2. Listening to these songs just brings back lots of great memories. Tuscan Leather is Drake's best intro for me. The only real low I find on this project is Come Thru. I just feel like it slows the momentum at the end of the album. All of the features were spot on, especially Jay-Z's renegade on Pound Cake. The one thing I feel like this album was missing is a Forever type of song.
    Comin' off the last record, I'm gettin' 20 million off the record, just to off these records, n----- that's a record. I'm livin' like I'm out here on my last adventure, past the present when you have to mention this is nothin' for the radio, but they'll still play it though
    Click to expand...​
    Nothing groundbreaking, but it sets the tone of this album for me. Back when Drake got radio play without making a Tik Tok song. If you haven't played this album in a while, or if you didn't like it at first, I would highly recommend giving it another spin. It was a great experience to listen to it again after a few years, and quite a few songs are being added back into rotation as I type this.

Mar 29, 2024
  3. Sav Stanfield

Apr 5, 2020
    Great thread @Xmipod keep it up man. Intetrested to see what else you post in here

The only Drake albums I've really enjoyed front to back are this and If You're Reading This. Almost everything else just isnt for me. I always think of Big Ghost's analogy when he reviewed this: NWTS was when Theon Greyjoy went back to the Iron Islands. IYRTITL is when he took Winterfell. VIEWS is when Theon became Reek lol.

Ordinary Joel and Xmipod like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Xmipod

Apr 5, 2020
    Thanks bro, I have a few ideas for the next album, not sure which I will do next. Ive never seen that review, bur Ill have to watch it, because that analogy is spot on. I like some of Take Care, but NWTS and IYRTITL were fantastic. Chicago Freestyle and When to Say When were also really good but Tootie Slide or whatever he just released as a single really took away from my hype for his album

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Apr 6, 2020
    Yeah Take Care has its moments too, definitley grown to appreciate it more over time. I kinda like Toosie Slide for what it is (a marketing ploy) but yeah the other 2 were really dope. I think Drake might still surprise us.

Mar 29, 2024