Film Last Movie You Watched

Started by golddust, Nov 23, 2014, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. TimmyT

TimmyT The Bride

Mar 31, 2020
    @Asmxdeus as you said, i think its left to the audience to ponder the ending. another thing that makes clockwork orange good is the music. its eerie and it just fits the scenes well, especially the opening scene which is fantastic

Once Upon A Time in the West (1968)

i'm not sure i like this one as much as some of sergio's previous westerns, but its still a good film. to me this one isn't as entertaining as the others. i can even see people finding it boring, though i don't feel that way. the music is once again awesome, and just makes the movie all that much better.

8 out of 10

Mar 29, 2024
  2. lil uzi vert stan

Mar 31, 2020
    Just watched: Honey Boy - interesting self-therapy. Not quite a 'movie' but worth a watch. Also saw Holes to make it a Shia double feature.

From a Whisper to a Scream (1987) - Vincent Price's last horror film.

Terror Train (1980) - one of Jamie Lee Curtis' post Halloween scream queen efforts.

The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini (1966) - one of Boris Karloff's last movies. one of those mousketeer beach movies with a horror twist..

the last Mission: Impossible movie, second viewing. Fun!

House of Frankenstein (1945) - classic 40s monster mash. also Boris Karloff

i know @Swizz is a movie buff too! wondering what else he's been quarantine screening!!

JXY, Twan, CJ Poe and 1 other person like this.
    JXY, Twan, CJ Poe and 1 other person like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Swizz

Apr 1, 2020
    @Papa Alpha Andy I like your take on Honey Boy, v similar to my own (an interesting experiment with fascinating components - some that were genuinely great, like Shia's performance - but not one that fully works). I do NOT like that I have to type 'Papa' to mention you

some movies I've watched in the last week or so.......

Birds of Prey - Admired this more than I truly liked it. It's zippy and fun and has plenty of personality (and I love Margot Robbie so much), but I found its tone fairly grating and I have major comic book movie fatigue as it is.

The Gentlemen - This was pretty dumb the more I think about it but, tbh, I really enjoyed it lol

Downhill - The first major disappointment of the year for me (although the reviews sort of warned me). Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus are so so good. But the script lets them down - it doesn't have the emotional weight OR the laughs that it needed

Edge of Tomorrow - Not sure how I missed this one. Really fun!

Richard Jewell - I enjoyed watching this, despite the fact that it's all wildly obvious. All respect to Clint Eastwood, but wouldn't it be nice for him to do something, ANYTHING that was surprising? Okay, he's 90, fair enough, I'll back off. But it definitely gives his films a bit of a ceiling. Not clear to me why Kathy Bates was Oscar worthy. Paul Walter Hauser was great!

A Serious Man (rewatch) - One of my favorite Coen Bros. Just brilliant. That ending!

Mar 29, 2024
  4. lil uzi vert stan

Apr 1, 2020
    lmao I should change it back to CA or something i think. Maybe if @WPG agrees to vote biden in the general i will

good thoughts! and agree on Paul Hauser - thought Richard Jewell was underrated and the fact Hauser wasn't nominated for Best Actor makes me sad. perfect role. as fast and sometimes drab or one note as modern eastwood goes that casting, performance was kinetic...

anyways just watched another 80s horror movie: "Blood Rage," a cheeky Halloween knockoff. Fun fact it was released in 1987, shot in 1983 , was originally titled "Nightmare at Shadow Woods" but - inexplicably - is called "SLASHER" in its own opening credits.! Also, Woody Allen's ex wife is only 'star' and her scenes seem like they were shot in a vacuum and spliced together with the rest of the cast. Fun!

JXY, Twan and Swizz like this.
    JXY, Twan and Swizz like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

Apr 1, 2020
    Vice- I expected more after Big Short, idk I feel like they skipped the most interesting parts and showed how he was a drunk 60 years ago too much

Come and see- haunting, incredibly sad and exhausting experience. Might be the best war movie you will ever see

Hot Fuzz- again expected more, why make 40 minute long shootout? Could be much funnier, beggining is really good and it just keep getting worse every minute

El angel exterminator- great idea executed perfectly, wonderful shots, funny and sad, very weird, deeper than it seems at first, at least I hope so

The Staggering Girl- beautiful, romantic, interesting and very short, what's not to like. I wish I will look like Kyle MacLachlan looked here when Im older

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Apr 1, 2020
    Birds of Prey - 7.5/10
    The Gentlemen - 5/10
    The Call Of The Wild - 9/10
    Invisible Man - 7/10
    Bad Boys For Life - 6.5/10
    Underwater - 7/10

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Swizz

Apr 1, 2020
    @WPG vote for Biden. for this reason, among others

lil uzi vert stan likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Apr 1, 2020
    Uncut Gems was kind of a letdown tbh

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Swizz

Apr 1, 2020
    no it wasn't!!!!!

Mar 29, 2024
  10. JXY

JXY

Apr 2, 2020
    To people who saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, what was so good about it to you? I don't get it at all and I love most QT films.

@Twan and movie buffs alike, genuinely interested on your takes

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. lil uzi vert stan

Apr 2, 2020
    Beautiful elegy/"love letter" to specific point in time, moment in film history. expertly crafted - you feel like you're in the time period. excellent blend of humor, suspense and pathos. and just a great hangout flick starring two of the biggest, coolest stars in the planet. felt like the right evolution for tarantino at this point in his career - part memoir/essay on his love of film history. bigger question is: why didn't you like it?

and even bigger question: what is @Twan watching while housebound?

latest screening for me was a rewatch of 1989 best picture winner, Driving Miss Daisy. I'll be honest (while not posting this on Letterbox) - I liked it, and think its underrated. its rep is its an outdated and corny/sentimental film that undersells its racial politics to an offensive degree. and i get that POV - it does not have Do the Right Thing's militant politics.... but that doesn't mean its blind to race or inherently apolitical. In fact, it's a very lo-fi, subtle view not just of what being black in mid 20th centurys southern caste system was actually like for many working class african americans..... but its (perhaps moreso) a glimpse at another outsider in southern life, an elderly jewish woman... borne in like 1876 lol. and using her to explore core themes like hypocrisy among otherwise decent, good people is compelling and works. ive read the play is part of a trilogy about jewish life in atlanta, so i think thats an essential way to view the film. the script/story itself sure feels like a one act play, but i dont know you can fault it for its own narrative modesty or self imposed limitations. or if you can, the film is redeemed due to truly excellent work by jessica tandy and morgan freeman. v touching, brilliant character work.

granted, i doubt this would be my choice for the best picture oscar. but i think for what it is, and given the context of its release, its a valuable if imperfect glimpse at a bygone american life that resists having to provide all the answers to societys ills.

BIGFOOT, Ordinary Joel and Swizz like this.
    BIGFOOT, Ordinary Joel and Swizz like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Twan

Apr 2, 2020
    Well, I just started Deadwood. That's pretty cool so far! As for movies...

Resident Evil 1-6 - 1,5,6 are pretty dope (5 is the crowning achievement). 2 is not so good. 3 is ehh. 4 is decent, but slightly disappointing. Suffice to say, presuming this quarantine ends, Monster Hunter is now my most anticipated film of 2020.
    Rabid- Early Cronenberg that's unpolished but sets the the foundation for themes and motifs he'd explore the rest of his career. Has a certain icy chill that gets under the skin.
    Gilda- :emoji_fire::emoji_fire::emoji_fire:
    Targets- Solid, provocative debut from Bogdanovich. Not sure the 2 halves come together all that effectively, but this is strong.
    The Invisible Man- Stellar performance from Elizabeth Moss, some cool scenes, but found this somewhat clunky and underwhelming. Staging of certain sequences feels barely sketched despite all of the promise in the premise.
    Kahaani- Indian thriller, solid twist, but TV procedural aesthetic makes this overall kind of dull.
    Charlie's Angels - Watched this with the wife. KStew = :emoji_fire:. Movie sucks.
    Berlin Syndrome- Incredible performance from Teresa Palmer. Fizzles out a bit in the end, but most of the way it offers enough intriguing ideas to justify its grueling experience.
    High and Low- Rewatch...the work of a master through and through, from the chamber drama first half to the detail-oriented procedural thriller in the second.
    The Death Collector- Low-budget gangster film from the 70s with early Joe Pesci performance...pretty good.
    In the Cut - Don't know it if I entirely understood it, but I mostly dug this surreal, smutty thriller.
    A Perfect Getaway - Fun as h---
    The Comfort of Strangers - Ehh...didn't get it, didn't like it.
    Le Notti Bianche - A simp masterpiece.
    Le Samourai - Rewatch...the crime film as a dream.
    Drishyam- Used Netflix party to watch this with my Indian friend. It was wack, but I guess I'd do Netflix party again.
    Albanian Gangster- Not good, but the movie was shot and set in my neighborhood in the Bronx, so that was fun.
    Homicide- A little bit of a mess, but an intriguing mystery, whose central cases give way to a thoughtful exploration of identity and prejudice.
    Daguerrotype - Some masterful sequences from Kurosawa (one scene with a ghostly apparition is a classic), but the writing here doesn't hold together and mutes the film's overall impact.

Mar 29, 2024
  13. BIGFOOT

Apr 3, 2020
    Bloodshot - 7/10

Mar 29, 2024
  14. lil uzi vert stan

Apr 7, 2020
    @Twan @Swizz and everyone else in this quarantine screening cohort - my recent viewings are:

Double feature: Malcolm X and Ali. Great, great American historical epics. They capture the gravitas of both men, so pivotal to the evolution of race relations and politics in the mid 20th century. I almost wish one of two things: a. that denzel would've cameod as X in Ali, and/or b. either way maybe someone does a spliced long cut merging these two stories into one. like an olympic baton, ali carries on x's message of segregation, then integration in american life. spike lee and michael mann are dissimiliar filmmakers in a lot of respects, but i think these specific subjects would blend well.
    but man, the opening 20 minutes of Ali is a particular favorite - some of the best american filmmaking of the last 20 years imho. goes without saying denzel and will smith absolutely crush. loveeeeeeee these movies - for 3 hrs a piece theyre both "rewatchable" ::bill simmons voice::

The Last Man on Earth: speaking of will smith, i watched the original version of richard mathesons I Am Legend, The Last Man on Earth, on Amazon. Very solid early zombie flick. I love Vincent Price, as you may've guessed. (In fact, when i was younger, rly young, i got price's autograph before he died, which now hangs in my den...) This was an Italian production so once dialogue enters the picture about halfway through it gets rather jarring. still considering the ongoing pandemic, this is almost essential viewing for horror fans.

Less essential is Ghostkeeper, a 1981 Shining knockoff shot in Banff. Stuffy acting and fairly mundane. The setting is (fittingly) chilling but they don't capitalize at all. Mediocre and boring.

Also bad (but perhaps not exactly ~forgettable) is Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster. I read somewhere this has been cited as one of the worst films of all time - so lets start there. consider the fact there is NO frankenstein in this movie, just a robot named frank.... think Ed Wood. amateur on all accounts - laughably makeup,sets. bizarrely, the score for this dumb scifi horror mashup is surf rock. beyond the fact this came out in the early 60s it makes no sense.

EDIT - also watched the TV movie biopic, Truman. Gary SInise is great but you can feel the limitations (budgetary or otherwise) of the medium, given its the mid 90s and theyre tackling like 35 years of history. still a good primer given Biden could likely become new POTUS :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Twan, Ordinary Joel and Swizz like this.
    Twan, Ordinary Joel and Swizz like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Apr 8, 2020
    i like that movie a lot less than you do and i still agree hauser was amazing

Ordinary Joel and Swizz like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Swizz like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. BIGFOOT

Apr 8, 2020
    Hansel and Gretel 2020 - 3/10

Mar 29, 2024
  17. DKC

DKC hank trill

Apr 11, 2020
    I’m finally watching Star Wars 9 and LMAO @ the opening crawl already. This is like a middle school fan fiction plot.

(and this is coming from someone who liked both 7 and 8)

Swizz and lil uzi vert stan like this.
    Swizz and lil uzi vert stan like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. BIGFOOT

Apr 11, 2020
    The OG A Nightmare On Elm Street - 10/10 an absolute classic.

Mar 29, 2024
  19. aleeex1923

Apr 11, 2020

Very good movie

Mar 29, 2024
  20. lil uzi vert stan

Apr 11, 2020
    8 is legit good. Did you watch/see the rejected 9 script leaked by the dude who made Jurassic world (I think..) so there’s an animated re-enactment of the plot? Way better than rise of skywalker tbh

BIGFOOT and Lucy like this.
    BIGFOOT and Lucy like this.
    Mar 29, 2024