Drake Growing out of Drake

Started by DKC, May 5, 2020, in Drake Add to Reading List

1. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

May 8, 2020
    Drake really stopped caring about this after Views. He wanted that album to be his “Blueprint” but it just didn’t come out that way. Drake is great at being fluid & adapting with the times. I think he’s embraced that & pushed past trying to make the “classic” album. He wants to make music that are time stamps in history. Songs that you turn on & it instantly brings you back to that year. He’s great at doing that imo.

Koke and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Koke and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. DKC

DKC hank trill

May 8, 2020
    mmm I disagree with the first part. In that elliot wilson interview he talked about how he was obsessed with Life After Death when making Scorpion. He wanted that classic double album.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 8, 2020
    As much as I like some of drake's music, none of it feels timeless to me.

Some of his hits are like the perfect summer songs but fade away after. Its great for that time period but thats kinda it.

Take care and iyrt are great albums though and scorpion, more life did have some gems. But I just can't really place him in the same category as some other goats

Guma, asvdawg and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  4. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

May 8, 2020
    Which is weird because a good chunk of that album was made like weeks prior to its release after the whole Pusha thing. Idk, with Views it really seemed like he was trying to craft the perfect album. The constant delays & album title changes. I really don’t think he’s ever worked on a project as hard as he has that one. Ever since, he’s been a lot more lenient with his music I guess you could say? More willing to just flood the airwaves, put out compliations, loosies, mixtapes etc. rather than work & craft a concise/perfect album.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    asvdawg, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    asvdawg, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. Koke

May 8, 2020
    I think Take Care is his classic album, some prefer NWTS (I see why) but Take Care was my favourite Drake era, just about any song from that album takes me back to 2011 and a great time

I mean after Marvin's Room, maybe his best song ever, he has a prime Kendrick verse chucked in as an interlude to transition the album. That's goat s---

Take We'll Be Fine/Make Me Proud from the album and replace it with Club Paradise/Dreams Money Can Buy and you are looking at album of the decade.

Apr 25, 2024
  6. The Moon Man

The Moon Man Out of my mind

May 9, 2020
    Drake peaked with Take Care and NWTS. I am trying to be excited for the new album but it's hard when all the songs practically sound the same for five years.

Apr 25, 2024
  7. Guma

Guma Dobry ruski, martwy ruski

May 20, 2020
    Yeah, Drake's music got kind of stale.

Ordinary Joel and Buddha like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Buddha like this.
    Apr 25, 2024