Wire sequel when??

Started by Lucy, Jul 12, 2020, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jul 15, 2020
    I am a LOST stan. I have every season on Blu Ray and rewatch every few years. The first 3 seasons are amazing imo and then it gets a little whacky. Some people hated the ending. I thought it was good for what it was. I still love the show for all it's faults in the later seasons. Give it a chance and watch the first season at least
    [​IMG]

Ordinary Joel, Buddha, Boos and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha, Boos and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Koke

Jul 15, 2020
    Lost is a great show. Watched it for the first time last year and although it does fall off towards the end I expected it to be wayyyy worse from the reviews I read. I personally have it in my top 5.

I just finished rewatching The Wire for the second time and I do believe it is the GOAT of TV shows with Sopranos a close second. Breaking Bad is a solid number 3 but still some distance behind

Tried to watch the Leftovers but couldn't get in to it after the first few episodes. Should I persist?

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jul 15, 2020
    Both this and LOST had Lindelof as the showrunner which got me into the Leftovers. The music on both shows is also amazing

yes the episodes and seasons for that matter get better as they go. Stick with it

Mar 28, 2024
  4. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jul 15, 2020
    Which Pelecanos would you recommend? I looked into him awhile back and got a lil intimidated by his bibliography so I never followed up lol. I know he had a huge influence on the show too.

Also any idea where to watch DC Noir? Can't find it online at a quick glance.

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Jul 15, 2020
    h--- yea. Appreciate you guys responding. Looks like I’ll have my next show to watch. Like you guys said, I’ve heard great things about the first few seasons and then a so-so response about the last few seasons. I remember being in like middle school and this show being the biggest thing going. I think I sort of know how it ends (if that purgatory thing is true), but I already knew how The Sopranos ended before I watched that as well, and it didn’t take away from the show in the slightest. So I’m excited to get into this

Ordinary Joel, Worm and Buddha like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Worm and Buddha like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Jul 15, 2020
    First three seasons are pretty dope, it's massive downhill from there tho.

Ordinary Joel and Boos like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Boos like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jul 15, 2020
    @Buddha
    I'm kinda afraid to rewatch it cuz I'm afraid it'll ruin the magic of watching week to week discussing theories with everyone in high school/my freshman year of college. Cuz I know seasons 5/6 are prob not nearly as good as I remember them now lol.

I didn't mind the ending either. :dno: I'm not speaking about the ending specifically when I say this, but I think people got too caught up on random s--- not being explained that just came down to them not being able to suspend their disbelief. I remember some of these mfs still going on about polar bears six seasons in and I'm like dude, it's a show about a magic island, if you're still stuck on the polar bears being on a tropical island from like episode 2, I don't think this show is for you lol. And some of this s--- just straight up didn't matter—it was supposed to be mysterious.

Ordinary Joel, Buddha and Worm like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha and Worm like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. lil uzi vert stan

Jul 15, 2020
    Yes that link I sent you Drama City def read that. very easy fun read... and like I said they co-opted some of the character work into the Wire. pretty cool semi spinoff source material? melting pot.

and soooo.... my wife checking the dc subreddit. the dc film festival was supposed to screen it but then COVID happened. so instead DC Noir streamed for free until the end of April. it was three of his short stories filmed with fmr Wire cast on location in dc, near where we lived. pretty cool. maybe hit them up and ask now tho? https://dcnoirmovie.com/ just fun MCU type vibe for wire fans but dunno how to watch now

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Buddha

Jul 15, 2020
    Hahaha same! I haven’t rewatched them because I watched it live and followed the same love/hate relationship so many others had. While I didn’t always love the storyline, I was always thoroughly entertained, and that’s the only reason why I watch tv. So in that respect, it succeeded.

I loved the show and even the wacky s--- that happens in later seasons, I still thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. They touch on a subject matter that books and shows can never pull off perfectly due to its nature (I’m sure you know what I’m referring to but don’t want to mention it since boos is about to watch it). Even with that subject matter, I still found it fascinatingly entertaining.

First few seasons are flawless so I understand why people don’t love the later seasons. Personally it didn’t bother me all that much and based on the entire shows storyline, I felt like the series ending was sufficient. Many say it was a cop out but it worked, at least for me.

d--- I really should rewatch them soon.

Mar 28, 2024
  10. RetiredAccount

RetiredAccount Big Time Stuntin Like My Daddy

Jul 15, 2020
    It’s excellent - very historically accurate (In terms of the era not actual history) while also connecting to today’s politics really well. The characters are all multi dimensional and seem very real. The only issue I had with it is it took like 3 episodes for exposition before moving the plot forward and it only has 6 episodes

Mar 28, 2024
  11. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Jul 15, 2020
    if you guys haven’t seen homicide, the full series based on a simon book, you should. compared to wire it’s definitely a network show, but it was kinda a revolutionary two-step with nypd blue in radically modernizing popular cop/crime drama

Mar 28, 2024
  12. lil uzi vert stan

Jul 15, 2020
    This is a gap for me. I should investigate think I’ve seen read most other Simon

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jul 15, 2020
    I’m on ep 4 right now, loving it. Ep 1 I agree was slow but really picked up with 2. I’ve never read any Phillip Roth but I might peep after this.

Been meaning to check it out as well.

Mar 28, 2024
  14. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Jul 15, 2020
    Definitely agree with Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. I was hoping Boardwalk Empire could be one of the greats but it slipped up in the later seasons. The Chi is definitely inspired by The Wire but not as good. I like Mindhunter but that show is more Silence of the Lambs/Luther territory. Peaky Blinders is a good one. A couple of slips but I did like the last season.

Ordinary Joel, Buddha, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. RetiredAccount

RetiredAccount Big Time Stuntin Like My Daddy

Jul 15, 2020

Mar 28, 2024
  16. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Jul 15, 2020

Lost was a giant piece of s--- and an even bigger waste of time. First 3 seasons were pretty incredible but it fell off so badly it was comical. I think the final few seasons I was flat out skipping episodes or at best not paying attention. Just awful.

The Wire
    GOT
    The Sopranos

Then you've got

Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    All 3 seasons of True Detective

Even Power is light years better than Lost.

Please watch anyone of those before f---ing Lost.

And before anybody says anything negative about True Detective season 2 I'll just leave this here.

JEB, Boos and Ordinary Joel like this.
    JEB, Boos and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. Mikey

Jul 16, 2020
    Prison Break was a pretty great show too.

Did fall off a bit after season 3 but not as bad as was mentioned

Lil Squeed and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Lil Squeed and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Jul 16, 2020
    That’s how I feel about GOT. I hesitate to even tell people to watch it now because of how pathetic that final season was. I’ve never been more frustrated in my life than watching those r-----s fumble the show so hard. I wanted to off myself after watching Kawhi hit his lucky a--- buzzer beater against the Sixers then changing over to HBO and watching Danarys burn the city down having just saved the world an episode ago. The pacing was so f-----. I’m getting heated even typing this up lmao.

My list would probably go:

Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    Sopranos

GOT
    Better Call Saul

then like C tier s--- that’s entertaining enough to see through like

Sons of Anarchy
    Eastbound and Down

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Buddha, Ordinary Joel and M Solo like this.
    Buddha, Ordinary Joel and M Solo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Jul 16, 2020
    only interested if it's an all female-led cast

Mar 28, 2024
  20. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Jul 16, 2020
    Season 1 was GOAT but they should have just stayed tf out of Prison after that

Mar 28, 2024